Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Boston
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mooncusser
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF28
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 32
Boat fell off its stands

My 14000 lb 1984 28í Rosborough Trawler tipped off its stands over the weekend when the yard was painting the bottom. It went down hard on its chine but surprisingly other than a bent stantion on the upper deck (where it struck adjacent boat) I see no significant visible damage. I have insurance and the yard has insurance. Any advice on how to proceed in this situation? What should I check for? What type of damage might a sudden shock like this cause? Again, nothing instantly apparent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2071F4D0-7828-4F7D-81D5-7104F5CA9879.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	76704   Click image for larger version

Name:	5A641C44-A4A1-4BB8-898C-4B8180256C78.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	76705   Click image for larger version

Name:	1B8C3D8A-EA82-43AF-B8F5-F4D98A127BE0.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	76706   Click image for larger version

Name:	71EB9771-7DD0-4F30-A2DD-3D9EE1B2BBB9.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	76707  
__________________
Advertisement

pukeanddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,396
I would first talk to the builder and ask them what to look for. If it were my boat, I would be checking the structure for any seperation in the hull to deck joint, stringers and bulkheads. The rails and such are minor and not too hard to discern problems. I would demand a competent surveyor look at it also to get an objective opinion. The yard should pay for this. If not your insurance should and then they will get the yards insurance to pay for it. Good luck.
__________________

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jetstream's Avatar
 
City: Tasmania
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 203
Sorry to hear about your boat. I'd agree with Dave. The biggest issue with an impact like that would be structural damage to internal bonds and lamination's between the hull and internal structural components at and around the site of the impact. You could also get delamination of the hull at the site off impact. Also any twist in the hull on impact could cause damage in other parts of the boat. I would want a very competent builder/repairer to be looking at it in addition to a surveyor.
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,006
Looking at photos - Why are there two boats that fell into each other... as it appears. No injuries?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I would first talk to the builder and ask them what to look for. If it were my boat, I would be checking the structure for any seperation in the hull to deck joint, stringers and bulkheads. The rails and such are minor and not too hard to discern problems. I would demand a competent surveyor look at it also to get an objective opinion. The yard should pay for this. If not your insurance should and then they will get the yards insurance to pay for it. Good luck.
I think the original builder of this boat no longer builds these. I think Eastern bots builds these now
__________________
Jack (Steve?)
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #6
TF Site Team
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,024
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Looking at photos - Why are there two boats that fell into each other... as it appears. No injuries?
My thoughts also. Did yours, slipping sideways, also cause the other boat to tip off its stands? Really sorry this happened to you. Must be quite a worry re potential and hidden damage.
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 7,047
I agree with Dave above. Iím sure your insurance company will be way ahead of you and will order a survey done.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:53 PM   #8
DDW
Senior Member
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 322
And next time, use a different yard. There should be chains holding the stands together so they can't do that. Also (unless that is concrete) ply pads under the stand legs so they don't sink. Neither is apparent in the pictures.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:16 AM   #9
TF Site Team
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,024
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
And next time, use a different yard. There should be chains holding the stands together so they can't do that. Also (unless that is concrete) ply pads under the stand legs so they don't sink. Neither is apparent in the pictures.
The area is concrete, but the stands themselves do look flimsy. When you consider what they stand boats in at our marina, for example...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	76710  
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:50 AM   #10
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,507
Lots of potential for hidden damage.
Along with what has already been mentioned, the bottom paint could be hiding some cracks. Engine mounts could be damaged. Alignment could be knocked out.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:55 AM   #11
TF Site Team
 
Bay Pelican's Avatar
 
City: Chicago, IL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Lots of potential for hidden damage.
Along with what has already been mentioned, the bottom paint could be hiding some cracks. Engine mounts could be damaged. Alignment could be knocked out.
+1

The hidden damage can be substantial. Stringers could be cracked and the cracks not visible. This is going to take substantial effort to determine if full extent of damage.
__________________
Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:00 AM   #12
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 2,209
I am sorry for your loss.

Seriously, has the yard made you an offer for your boat?
Spider cracks in the gel coat.
undiscovered structural problems
suspected tank damage
batteries damaged
electrical connections suspect
engine mounts damaged
shaft alignment problems
mysterious water leaks into the boat

Unless you love the boat, take the settlement and walk away.
YOU get a surveyor, maybe two, out there once it is back on the stands.
Take lots of pictures, documenting the damage and the stand placement and from about 25 yards.... if possible.

My N46 fell over when the yard worker thought he could remove a jack before putting in a new stand. Survery, constructive loss.. Drove the port stabilizer into the owner's stateroom.

Once all the damage has been documented, it will, should, must follow the boat and its history.
__________________
And you folks thought I knew what I was talking about?
I do believe my intuitive gene has died.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:28 AM   #13
Guru
 
City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,789
hard to imagine something not being crushed by all that weight coming down onto concrete.

Dumb and dumber boatyard worker idiots doing dumb stupid things.

When I haul out I do all my own work, I do not go to yards where they won't let you do your own work. I guess I just don't trust a lot of people not to wreck my stuff. I also do all my own car work. Of course someday I may get too old to do my own work.

At a marina here, a boat owner told me the yard mechanic installed oil filters backward revering hoses?, after the yard had diesel engines rebuilt, whatever they did, result was no oil flowed to the engine...which was then destroyed.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member
 
City: Boston
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mooncusser
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF28
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Looking at photos - Why are there two boats that fell into each other... as it appears. No injuries?
I was told that as my boat tipped over it leaned over on the adjacent boat and buckled the stands out from under it. But the only area that appears to have struck the other boat is the upper deck railings. It is hard to figure exactly how that all went down.

Thankfully no one was hurt. The guy paining the bottom was able to get out of the way once he realized she was going over.
pukeanddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #15
Guru
 
siestakey's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,800
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
+1 Old Dan But gosh I am so sorry
__________________
Alan
Skype roatan63
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #16
TF Site Team
 
Larry M's Avatar
 
City: JAX, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,690
Your insurance company should be taking the lead and they should be paying the bills.

We had a boat dropped. I called our insurance company and they had a surveyor on site that day. We took the boat to another yard for repairs. We got estimates for the work. My insurance company paid all the bills and then they subregated against the boat yards insurance. They deducatble was also paid by the boatyards insurance. Their surveyor was on site during the repairs but all contact was with my insurance company. The initial estimate was about $40,000 and the final bill was $66,000.

At the end of the day, the boat was in much better condition than before the accident. What we didn’t get compensated for was the loss of use and the hassle factor which was huge.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:23 AM   #17
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,485
While you may not see damage yet, the hull where it impacted the concrete would have certainly have over stressed, breaking fibers in the laminate. Something had to absorb the energy of the falling mass, and that would be breaking fibers. This sort of damage may or may not be visible on the laminate. Not really possible for there to be "zero" damage with such an event. The energy got absorbed somewhere.

Once back upright, the inspections need to be very thorough. Probably beyond what an ordinary hull surveyor can provide. Who ever performs this inspection should have some experience in laminates and construction techniques.

Is hull cored in any way?

Is the interior of the hull at the impact point accessible? Or is it hidden by fuel tanks and cabinetry?

Even if the impact spot got flexed, it can be reinforced from the inside, provided you can get to it.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member
 
City: Boston
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mooncusser
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF28
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I am sorry for your loss.

Seriously, has the yard made you an offer for your boat?
Spider cracks in the gel coat.
undiscovered structural problems
suspected tank damage
batteries damaged
electrical connections suspect
engine mounts damaged
shaft alignment problems
mysterious water leaks into the boat

Unless you love the boat, take the settlement and walk away.
YOU get a surveyor, maybe two, out there once it is back on the stands.
Take lots of pictures, documenting the damage and the stand placement and from about 25 yards.... if possible.

My N46 fell over when the yard worker thought he could remove a jack before putting in a new stand. Survery, constructive loss.. Drove the port stabilizer into the owner's stateroom.

Once all the damage has been documented, it will, should, must follow the boat and its history.
Thanks for the advice. I bought the boat 10 years ago and have put an equal amount of money, and even more time into refitting it to perfectly meet my needs. I've been made offers but never once considered selling it. For it's insured value I would never be able to go out buy another similar boat and have any money (or time) left over to bring it back up to my standards of utility and safety. So I'm very reluctant to just walk away unless that settlement truly reflects the value I have in the boat. I know better than to call it an investment, but all of my 'boat funds' are really tied up in that rig.

But I get what you are saying, and it seems impossible to ever truly know the real damage without a significant amount of destructive inspection.
pukeanddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member
 
City: Boston
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mooncusser
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF28
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Your insurance company should be taking the lead and they should be paying the bills.

We had a boat dropped. I called our insurance company and they had a surveyor on site that day. We took the boat to another yard for repairs. We got estimates for the work. My insurance company paid all the bills and then they subregated against the boat yards insurance. They deducatble was also paid by the boatyards insurance. Their surveyor was on site during the repairs but all contact was with my insurance company. The initial estimate was about $40,000 and the final bill was $66,000.

At the end of the day, the boat was in much better condition than before the accident. What we didnít get compensated for was the loss of use and the hassle factor which was huge.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm really regretting that this occurred at the beginning of the season. Loss of use for me is huge. I had plans to go cruising with my Daughter. Did insurance cover other expenses like marina contracts, shrink wrap, storage and other fees that went unused to do loss of use? OR was it strictly expenses to repair only?
pukeanddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #20
Veteran Member
 
City: Boston
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mooncusser
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF28
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
While you may not see damage yet, the hull where it impacted the concrete would have certainly have over stressed, breaking fibers in the laminate. Something had to absorb the energy of the falling mass, and that would be breaking fibers. This sort of damage may or may not be visible on the laminate. Not really possible for there to be "zero" damage with such an event. The energy got absorbed somewhere.

Once back upright, the inspections need to be very thorough. Probably beyond what an ordinary hull surveyor can provide. Who ever performs this inspection should have some experience in laminates and construction techniques.

Is hull cored in any way?

Is the interior of the hull at the impact point accessible? Or is it hidden by fuel tanks and cabinetry?

Even if the impact spot got flexed, it can be reinforced from the inside, provided you can get to it.
The hull is balsa cored above the waterline and solid glass below. The area of the hull directly impacted is mostly covered by the cabin sole and aft cockpit deck structure and some cabinetry.
__________________

pukeanddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012