Old 08-09-2015, 11:51 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Couple of things, you say in your OP that you want a boat to do "the loop". What loop? Not many loopers buying boats in Washington state.

You are telling these guys your timeline in your initial phone call. What is it? If "6 months from now" is at the front end and not the back end of your timeline there's another reason your having a hard time. The brokers mortgage is due this month so he will naturally concentrate more on clients looking to help him make it.

TMI is just that, play your cards a little closer to the vest and see how things go. The FSBO no shows are just ignorant idiots and fakeslist is full of them.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:30 AM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I've bought boats and sold boats with no broker on either side.

It's not rocket science. I'm simply open ad up-front with my side of the bargain; being a good natured, honest, and on-time business person in all my dealings.

That said; I have run into plenty of flakes on both sides of the deal, i.e. buyers and/or sellers. Luckily I am able to suss out the flakes pretty quickly on phone. That capability saves lots of time and effort. One of the first things I do with buyer is let them know we can go for a relitively short ride on boat, but, they will need to donate $50 which is deductible off price of boat if they purchase. That immediately gets phone chat into a more pointed discussion or it ends the call quickly. For sellers I tell them Iíll pay $50 for fuel if I would like to go for short ride in their boat.

There is/are many other up-front maneuvers I use for both sided of the coin. After our phone conversation most buyers and most sellers become ready to show up on time. HoweverÖ there are some real A-Hole flakes; thatís just part of the game!

Happy Boat-Transfer Daze! - Art

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:41 AM   #23
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Too many "buyers" are simply looking for a boat ride. The one time I took a couple for a ride they brought their kids, PFDs and sandwiches. I would never agree to a ride again. Now it's sign a purchase agreement if you like the boat. Your ride is what the sea trial is for.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #24
Guru

It seems to me a good relationship with one broker will eliminate many of the no shows. He sets everything up. If he's good he will know the listings that maybe iffy and not worth spending time on.
That approach worked for us.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 AM   #25
Guru

City: gulf coast
You plan to buy in the pnw to do the loop???
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #26
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Too many "buyers" are simply looking for a boat ride. The one time I took a couple for a ride they brought their kids, PFDs and sandwiches. I would never agree to a ride again. Now it's sign a purchase agreement if you like the boat. Your ride is what the sea trial is for.
From my post # 22 - the one above yours.

The $50 dollars I mention is used as my pivot point for both buying or selling a boat. If the buyer or seller agrees to the $50 bucks for a short cruise I mentioned in my post 22 then no-harm/no-foul for all concerned.

If in the case of a buyer for my boat... if they balk regarding $50 "donated" capital so they can simply see how the boat runs - I immediately get into asking them to make an offer on the boat; so we go into contract, I tell them...if I accept your offer we can take a sort cruise without the $50 donation. This immediately separates the "buyer" wheat from the chaff. From that moment either the phone call ends abruptly or the buyer shows genuine interest of some sort and the phone conversation continues; sometimes this leads to eventually closing the sale.

In the case of me looking to purchase a boat... if the seller does not want to agree to my $50 donated dollars for a short ride it tells me the seller is either not too serious or maybe the boat does not run well at the moment. Whether the seller agrees to the $50 ride or not... I then discuss making an offer on the boat so we can go into contract. I tell the seller that if upon seeing the boat I like it and my on-site offer becomes accepted we can soon go for a sea trial. This immediately separates the "seller" wheat from the chaff.

I have fun on phone with buyers or sellers of anything (boats very much included). Straight talk works best and makes things become crystal clear for me, as well as them (although they may not even realize what just passed over their head - lol)... when I immediately begin to pin buyer or seller down with cash money and/or a contract. These phone chats either lead to things or they are short and sweet.

In some circles it's Horse Traden!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I am with Marin and others. We have used the same broker to act on our behalf for the purchase of all our boats. Saves an awful amount of leg work. He also did all the paperwork, handled all the money (paid the sellers lien off etc), attended the survey etc etc. Putting deposits down and the eventual full amount into YOUR brokers account rather than the sellers, I feel is another level of security. I strongly recommend using one.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:00 AM   #28

City: Edmonds
Boat buyin' blues

There are a lot of crummy brokers in the business. I will chime in on your budget. IMO the farther you go below $100K purchase price the harder it will be to work with a good broker. Half of a ten percent commission on a $40K boat is $2000. How many weekends would you want to spend driving around with someone who may not end up buying a boat for the possibility of $2000?

OTOH if your budget is north of $250K, you know what you want, and you can close the deal in two weeks if all goes well, you should have no problem finding a good broker.

Finally, re-reading your posts, once you find "the boat" you don't need a buyer's broker and now you are cutting the other broker's commission by 50%.

Please take this advice the right way. Here in the PNW there is no "loop." Doing the loop is an east coast ICW Great Lakes thing. Nobody buys a 40-foot trawler in the PNW so they can trailer it across the country to do the loop. If you are looking for a 1980s Taiwanese trawler you are probably planning to spend $25-45K on the boat. Perhaps you want an even better deal? It will be hard to find a broker. Otherwise you are looking at a new or nearly- new tug and will spend $250K or more. Brokers and sellers will love you!
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #29
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster_in_edmonds View Post
There are a lot of crummy brokers in the business. I will chime in on your budget. IMO the farther you go below $100K purchase price the harder it will be to work with a good broker. Half of a ten percent commission on a $40K boat is $2000. How many weekends would you want to spend driving around with someone who may not end up buying a boat for the possibility of $2000?

OTOH if your budget is north of $250K, you know what you want, and you can close the deal in two weeks if all goes well, you should have no problem finding a good broker.
Truer words were never said.

Otherwise a buyer or seller could go with my recommendations/description in post 26 and have fun playing the "Horse Traden" games!

Old 08-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: n/a
Vessel Name: n/a
Vessel Model: n/a
My thanks to all of you! Great advise, I'm glad to find out it was not just me. We will keep at it and hopefully perserver. As to the loop, it IS in my mind to find the right boat here, find a yard and do whatever repair is needed here. (weekends away from home rather than weeks away). I do know that moving will be expensive but that others have done it. Again, my half-baked plan would be to bring it to Lewiston / Clarkson (WA/ID) and have it shipped to the nearest Great Lake or river. There is a neat site on the internet called UShip that I have used to bring a jetski from Virginia that was a very pleasant and inexpensive experience.

Anyway, again, my thanks to all!

Dave
NYCHAB III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #31
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Welcome to TF from another Tri Citian.

When we bought our boat I used a buyer's broker but only as a source of some information and answers. I paid him a flat fee for that and in all honesty I feel I overpaid him based on the amount of work he did for me.

I did all the boat search (we found her in MI), did the negotiations, arranged for the surveyors, flew back for two sea trials, arranged for the load to be transported to OR and all the ancillary stuff that went into the purchase process, by myself.

If I were going to do it again I'd not bother with a buyer's broker.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #32

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
GFC,

Did you use a local MI transport or a National chain moving corp.?
Old 08-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #33
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
A buyer's broker is a good idea. Get local references and pick one. It won't cost you anything as they split the commission.

Many boats are listed for sale... but not seriously. Put a high price on a POS and see if anyone bites. Brokers don't want to deal with those. If a FSBO or broker will not respond to your inquiry, that is enough to drop it off your list.

A buyer's broker will quickly sort through the garbage clogging up the used boat market.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #34

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
I am with Marin and others. We have used the same broker to act on our behalf for the purchase of all our boats. Saves an awful amount of leg work. He also did all the paperwork, handled all the money (paid the sellers lien off etc), attended the survey etc etc. Putting deposits down and the eventual full amount into YOUR brokers account rather than the sellers, I feel is another level of security. I strongly recommend using one.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #35
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHAB III View Post
My thanks to all of you! Great advise, I'm glad to find out it was not just me. We will keep at it and hopefully perserver. As to the loop, it IS in my mind to find the right boat here, find a yard and do whatever repair is needed here. (weekends away from home rather than weeks away). I do know that moving will be expensive but that others have done it. Again, my half-baked plan would be to bring it to Lewiston / Clarkson (WA/ID) and have it shipped to the nearest Great Lake or river. There is a neat site on the internet called UShip that I have used to bring a jetski from Virginia that was a very pleasant and inexpensive experience.
Um, I actually think it is you. Or mostly you. Sure there are mediocre brokers and sellers, but if you've been sharing your "dream" with these folks then I think that's the problem.

You shipped a jetski on UShip and that makes you think that shipping a "36' to 42' trawler" would be similar. It's not. Maybe you've been watching too much "Shipping Wars", but this is going to cost you (guessing) $20K each way - and that will increase dramatically if you have to do something like remove a flying bridge.

Also, it's hard for someone in the PNW to imagine why anyone would want to take a boat from here:

to here:

In short, your "dream" of buying a boat in the PNW (where boats are expensive in part because it's one of the world's best cruising grounds) and shipping it at great expense to cruise what is essentially muddy ditch - that truly sounds like "bad idea (tm)". Right up there with buying two identical trawlers and bolting them together to make a power cat. Or covering the boat in shrinkwrap and adding ballast tanks to make it a submarine.

I'm not saying you should give up on your "dream", but am suggesting that you might have better results if you keep that to yourself.

CPseudonym was on the right track when he wrote:"TMI is just that, play your cards a little closer to the vest and see how things go."
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #36
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Having just shipped a 37 footer (42 loa) 1500 miles from Massachusetts to South Dakota, the only way that plan makes any sense at all is if the boat is in excellent shape overall and you get the deal of the century on the purchase price. And even then, be ready to spend hours on logistics and lots of side expenses. Ours was still ultimately worth it, but just by a whisker, and I do project logistics for a living.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #37
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Having just shipped a 37 footer (42 loa) 1500 miles from Massachusetts to South Dakota, the only way that plan makes any sense at all is if the boat is in excellent shape overall and you get the deal of the century on the purchase price. And even then, be ready to spend hours on logistics and lots of side expenses. Ours was still ultimately worth it, but just by a whisker, and I do project logistics for a living.
Now... there's a mouth full to pay attention to!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster_in_edmonds View Post
Don't forget...the house gets a part of that as well!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #39
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Welcome to TF from another Tri Citian.

When we bought our boat I used a buyer's broker but only as a source of some information and answers. I paid him a flat fee for that and in all honesty I feel I overpaid him based on the amount of work he did for me.

I did all the boat search (we found her in MI), did the negotiations, arranged for the surveyors, flew back for two sea trials, arranged for the load to be transported to OR and all the ancillary stuff that went into the purchase process, by myself.

If I were going to do it again I'd not bother with a buyer's broker.
It is because you basically cut him out of the deal for a flat fee. That is not how a buyer's broker works. Let him get his proper cut and a good one will work for you and earn his keep!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:15 AM   #40
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Dave, sometimes you can give to much information.

The call goes like this: Good afternoon. My name is Dave. I see you have an xyz boat listed on Yachtworld.
Ted
Yes, this is all you need to do. Get a list of a dozen boats that are close to your targets and have at it! In a 4 day trip or so you can easily scout out Seattle and Portland area. Put together a rating sheet for comparison purposes and fill it out after looking at each vessel. BTW are you looking to buy cheap and fix up or buy good and cruise?

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote