Old 05-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #41
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
My boat was listed by the broker as FAIR condition in one place and "turn key" in another. The truth lie somewhere between those posts.

78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:45 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 40 Tri-cabin
Utazo

A bit off topic but as you mentioned living aboard in the PNW and I see you are located in Krikland I want to give you a 'heads up'. Moorage in the greater Seattle area is tight. Liveaboard moorage is very very tight. I advise you to get on the waiting list at the marina of your choice. For some of the marinas the liveaboard waiting list is years long. You can always turn it down if you have not yet purchased when your name rises to the top of the list.

Portage_Bay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #43
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
The offer was accepted pending a survey. The survey came back generally good . . . except one outdrive wouldn't move up or down. We proposed that we'd have that same broker's mechanic fix it and take the $450 off the purchase price. Nope, they wouldn't budge and they scotched a $36K deal over a $450 pump (if that's indeed what the problem was). It was really annoying because we paid more than that for the survey itself. That was kind of the last straw, and ever since then we try to private-party our boat purchases whenever we can, and purposely try to avoid brokers.
I must be missing something because it sounds to me that like either buyer or seller could have conceded the $450 issue, but both refused. If it were me (knowing that you spent more than $450 for the survey), I would have agreed to suck up the $450 but with the understanding that if the problem turns out to be bigger, seller pays the excess.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #44

City: Kirkland
Yes, this is a wise advice. I might just do that, since the moorage situation around Seattle is just crazy. Prices are sky-high and very few slips available over 50' foot. If one still works and has to commute, going out of the city is not a good option. Traffic is a disaster in Seattle now.
A 50' slip, if you can get one, in a decent marina is around 800-1K for liveaboards. Does it really worth it? If you just love the boating lifestyle, but you are not in the high income crowd, it doesn't, in my opinion.
I just hate to think that I need to wait until retirement, when I can finally put my boat (don't have it yet), to a nice marina and be able to pay for it.
I understand we all have different ideas how the boating should be and I have nothing against luxury, if one can afford it. However, I thought about Seattle as a boating paradise, even for regular folk like me. Work, have an income, buy a boat, live on it, enjoy the ride. That was the idea 20 years ago. What can I say, as I learn more and more about boating in this region, this type of simple boating pleasure is going away.

[QUOTE=Portage_Bay;444036]Utazo

A bit off topic but as you mentioned living aboard in the PNW and I see you are located in Krikland I want to give you a 'heads up'. Moorage in the greater Seattle area is tight. Liveaboard moorage is very very tight. I advise you to
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #45

I would like for all brokers, delivery captains, surveyors, parts suppliers, insurance agents, and the like to ad the "Commercial Member" flag to their avatar if not already done. Lurking here and mining the membership for business is, at a minimum, disingenuous.
go-planing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #46

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
Hello ' bcam '

Do you still have those broker contacts? Do they service people from the Seattle area? Does a broker give help/advice on surveys-financing-insurance-moorage to a newbie?
I am just starting my search and learning the whole process. My aim is a live-aboard, below 100K, without major repairs needed. I cannot tell from reading the broker stories, if this is still doable in the PNW? Obviously, if I use the services of a broker, by being a total beginner, I would heavily rely on the broker's knowledge and honesty. I cannot afford a ' bad ' purchase. Thanks.
I have used the same broker to buy 3 and sell 2. He is located in Seattle at Hiebert. His name is Russ Reed 1-425-501-1504. He's a good man.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #47

City: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Vessel Model: Hot Air Balloon for Now
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracie View Post
You might want to consider looking into a " buyers broker " - they in theory, work for you as the buyer -
Does boat broker commission work like real estate commission?

ie. If there is a buyer broker and seller broker they split the commission down the middle. OR is having two brokers gonna make it cost more?
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #48
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronZebra View Post
Does boat broker commission work like real estate commission?

ie. If there is a buyer broker and seller broker they split the commission down the middle. OR is having two brokers gonna make it cost more?
Unless you work out a different deal, they brokers split the commission. Keep in mind that the "buyers broker" is still technically working for, and being paid by the seller.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote