Old 10-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #21

City: southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post

Problem is with vessels that are a distance away. This particular one is five and a half hours away. So an 11 hour round trip.

Earlier this year we drove seven hours each way to see a boat in Southport NC that the broker told us was pristine. It took us about five-ten minutes to walk away.
I hear you. I drove five hours through LA and San Diego traffic to view a sailboat that the broker assured me was "immaculate" and "turn key" only to have her hand me estimates from two different yards in Ensenada to recondition or replace the mast. In the parking lot, before I even walked through the marina gate. I got out of my car, and she said something like "hello, thanks for driving down... before we look at the boat here's estimates for the mast work."

Oh, and when we set foot aboard she let me know that they had already adjusted the asking price downward for the estimated work. Stupid me thought the high asking price was indicative of a quality listing. Learned an important lesson there.

I'm not really sure what she was thinking. That somehow I'd think, "wow, she's willing to boldface lie about these things, but I'm sure everything else she says during this process is true."

I should add that while I was down there I dropped in to another broker's office with no appointment, and asked to see a boat on the board. He told me it had already sold, but he'd be glad to show it anyway because it was a cool boat. He spent a ton of time showing it and just talking boats in general. We ended up buying the same make and model, just older, from another place entirely. But it was a combination of the first broker being complete dishonest scum, and the second going way beyond to help a guy out, that set us on our path to our boat.

It all works out in the end.
questionmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I had one surveyed where a transmission died during a sea trial. Passed on it. I've never felt monies payed for a survey have been wasted and definitely $$ saved. That being said, the surveyors I engaged were, I felt, competent. My last insurance survey, the "surveyor"...well, ahem...this IS a family oriented site.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #23
Guru

City: Miami
I flew 9000 miles to look at boats that weren't worth surveying to buy our current boat which wound up being less than 100 miles from home.Frustrating but you get over it. By now you probably can tell whether or not to even think about investing in a survey. Don't sweat it the boat will find you if you let it.

Spell check via iPhone.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sydney
Follow up from meeting this morning with the surveyor
Boat is good condition not excellent as it should be for its age with evidence of internal cabin repairs in places one would never expect to see damage some damage repairs were seen high in forward cabin and large new areas of upholstery through the boat where it shouldn't be need for such a young boat. Some new electrics gauges/ sounders ect fitted in cabin and fly bridge. Non original fly bridge seats 5 windows newer than other glass in others is different to others .New draws and doors in galley that don't match other timber. Floor hatches timber is different to flooring

Conclusion more than likely an ex USA insurance storm write off . RUN FOREST RUN !!!

Spoke with broker this morning who until now was the nicest bloke one could meet and he said thats why you get a survey
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #25
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
It will never happen, but there ought be some obligation of and responsibility for "truth in advertising"(now there`s an oxymoron!) on brokers/sellers. It is apparent from posts above many people have incurred significant expense and inconvenience to inspect boats in good faith and in reliance on representations which turn out false and misleading.
Gaston, hang in there, unfortunately you kiss a few toads before you find a princess.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:38 PM   #26
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Follow up from meeting this morning with the surveyor
Boat is good condition not excellent as it should be for its age with evidence of internal cabin repairs in places one would never expect to see damage some damage repairs were seen high in forward cabin and large new areas of upholstery through the boat where it shouldn't be need for such a young boat. Some new electrics gauges/ sounders ect fitted in cabin and fly bridge. Non original fly bridge seats 5 windows newer than other glass in others is different to others .New draws and doors in galley that don't match other timber. Floor hatches timber is different to flooring

Conclusion more than likely an ex USA insurance storm write off . RUN FOREST RUN !!!

Spoke with broker this morning who until now was the nicest bloke one could meet and he said thats why you get a survey
I disagree...

My boat has LOTS of new fixes...just about every system is new and so is the bottom...and with about $20 grand in equipment upgrades...I probably would be asking pretty much what I paid for it 5 years ago. Signal anything...you bet...someone would begetting a heck of a deal.

New upholstery? VERY common simple spruce up.... not signaling anything...

Just because stuff is new or fixed doesn't mean a dang thing unless you find out why.

How old is the boat?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #27

City: La Paz, BCS
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
I am currently ready to enter into contract on a boat. When I made my first offer, the listing broker told me that this included 12 months of pre-paid slip fees. When I asked to have this written on the contract, there was suddenly a "mistake", and no pre-paid slip fees. I ended up settling for 4 months pre-paid, but then noticed yesterday that they had removed the dinghy and OB from the Yachtworld ad! WTF? I contacted the owner, a no no, and he assured me that the dinghy/OB is part of the deal. I'm trying to have them add it to the contract, but I'm getting ready to walk. How does a reputable broker conduct business like this?

Cheers, Bill
Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #28
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montenido View Post
I am currently ready to enter into contract on a boat.....
That`s 2 things that should not have happened. Do you trust the broker and or seller. How do you tell which is causing the mischief? If it is like that while they try to get you to contract to buy, what will it be like after you do?
Try walking due to lack of trust, see what happens.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #29
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
If the contract is contingent on survey then it isn't worth the paper it is written on.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
If the contract is contingent on survey then it isn't worth the paper it is written on.
It's worth something, just not completely binding. I think of it more as a "letter of intent" or maybe more similar to "option to buy." They're both commonly used in the business world. You're just saying if these things check out then it's my intent to buy for this amount. Now, they don't come free, you don't get that option to buy without spending, spending money for the survey. The spending of money is what allows the seller to assume you're doing it in good faith.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I disagree...

My boat has LOTS of new fixes...just about every system is new and so is the bottom...and with about $20 grand in equipment upgrades...I probably would be asking pretty much what I paid for it 5 years ago. Signal anything...you bet...someone would begetting a heck of a deal.

New upholstery? VERY common simple spruce up.... not signaling anything...

Just because stuff is new or fixed doesn't mean a dang thing unless you find out why.

How old is the boat?
The boat is 6 years old 260 hours on engines window glass and windows don't match ect ect There is enough evidence to say this boat has been sunk damaged rolled on its side and repaired and sold to someone in Australia that didn't get a survey or they did get a survey but a very bad one.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:53 PM   #32
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
The boat is 6 years old 260 hours on engines window glass and windows don't match ect ect There is enough evidence to say this boat has been sunk damaged rolled on its side and repaired and sold to someone in Australia that didn't get a survey or they did get a survey but a very bad one.
OK...sorry to be blunt...6 year old boat with that much work would raise my eyebrows too... not all the things mentioned..but you made your case.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #33
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
OK...sorry to be blunt...6 year old boat with that much work would raise my eyebrows too... not all the things mentioned..but you made your case.
I admit that I was thinking a lot like you were, based on the OP's initial post. Now reading his latest it all makes sense to run quickly away.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Texas
seems like walking thru the boat oneself you might have noticed these items prior to survey...

as for "fixing things up for a sale" as a give away, I think here in the US at least, if you want top dollar for your house or boat it's pretty standard to spend some make ready $
jb cruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb cruzan View Post
seems like walking thru the boat oneself you might have noticed these items prior to survey...

as for "fixing things up for a sale" as a give away, I think here in the US at least, if you want top dollar for your house or boat it's pretty standard to spend some make ready $

I spent a good 3 hours on the boat before committing on a inspection and doubt anyone apart from a very good surveyor with a very good eye for small detail would have picked up things like 3 different manufactures of window glass and different make of window frames one one side .new bottoms in galley draws different brand of oven fridge and freezer new AC new door hinges .All this on a 6 year old boat .Seems Australia and Asia is a dumping ground for American damaged boats ? Is there a register in USA that once a boat is written off it cant be re insured in USA ???
Old 10-23-2015, 02:21 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
I spent a good 3 hours on the boat before committing on a inspection and doubt anyone apart from a very good surveyor with a very good eye for small detail would have picked up things like 3 different manufactures of window glass and different make of window frames one one side .new bottoms in galley draws different brand of oven fridge and freezer new AC new door hinges .All this on a 6 year old boat .Seems Australia and Asia is a dumping ground for American damaged boats ? Is there a register in USA that once a boat is written off it cant be re insured in USA ???
Gaston, I think you could put money on it that boat was from the USA, and probably storm damaged. Why, because a 6 year old boat of that type in normal use could never have needed all those fixes, but mainly because I have a Clipper 34, so I know Clippers, and I know those Clipper 36s only came out about 6 years ago, when the new 34 proved less popular, as folk wanted bigger for similar money, and all the ones here in Australia from that time were called the 'Evolution Series' (including the 38 and 40), not the 'Heritage Series' as you report in your earlier post.

PS, I've got a nice Clipper 34 on the market, and I would save you grief by detailing each and every fault it has, mostly trivial and reflecting its age, yet it could still handle the trip to Sydney for sure, as it's been to the Whitsundays from here with previous owners several times. Its layout is more like the Clipper 40 than later 34's, however, it does have a Vee berth, and I grant you that an island double would be nice, and you can clearly afford something much newer. Personally, I'd recommend you look hard for an 'Evolution Series' Clipper 40, in my view the perfect mainly 2 people boat, and the earlier ones are now about 10 years old and I've seen the odd one down near your 200-300k price. I can tell you now, its a buyers market for sure, and no-one seriously wanting to sell would reject a reasonable offer. I know I would/will...hopefully...one day soon..?
Old 10-23-2015, 03:47 AM   #37
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Does sound like storm damaged boat, I guess you now know some more things to look for before getting a survey. In the circumstances the survey money was worth it.

Perhaps next time say to broker, I'm quite interested but I'd like to talk the owners about xyz. Then probe with them as much as you can about how long they have owned it, where they bought it. Follow your gut on whether they are open or evasive, ie turn up your BS antennae
Old 10-23-2015, 04:05 AM   #38
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Why are you saying this boat came from the USA? Clipper does not appear to be a brand sold here or at least not under that name.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:25 AM   #39
KMA

City: Merritt Island
Though 2' longer than you're looking for, the Mainship 40 would probably meet your needs. Full walk-arounds, galley up, sleeps 4 in fwd berth + 2 bunks, FB, available in single or twin, and they'll probably meet your budget. We toured a 2005 last week.... very nice boats. Matter of fact, they're on the top of our short list.

Quote:
Must have walk around 110% be shaft drive fiberglass with fly bridge prefer 35 to 38 foot nothing bigger don't need any more than 4 bunks wife and self 99% galley must have view . With little choice in Australia it comes down to GB ? Clipper 36 Heritage, Mainship 38, Integrity 38 prefer single engine around 5 to 8 years old Importing is now a option

KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:48 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Why are you saying this boat came from the USA? Clipper does not appear to be a brand sold here or at least not under that name.
I'd bet the Clipper name has only been applied since it landed here in Aus. In the US it would have been a Mariner or some other well-known 'Marine Trader' type name, but they all come from the same yards in China.

I suspect it looks like this....and I must correct myself, it does appear they did use the Heritage name for this 36' version Clipper, but it is a sedan or Europa type, whereas Heritage is the term usually associated with the aft or tri-cabin version in the US, but they did not use the term 'Heritage' here for the earlier models, they were just called 'aft cabins'.

Clipper 36 Heritage Boat News, Review & Advice - boatpoint.com.au

By the way Gaston, here's a nice Clipper 40, (which is the 38 with another couple of feet in the cockpit). They are to die for vessels. Have you seen over one? If not try to do so, and take your 2iC along. She will insist you get one. I just picked up on this one quite easily Googling. I bet he'd take a 300K offer...

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...=0&pss=Premium

Here's another who might well entertain an offer...

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-fo...=0&pss=Premium