Old 10-23-2015, 06:19 AM   #41
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Why are you saying this boat came from the USA? Clipper does not appear to be a brand sold here or at least not under that name.
Serious money required to ship a boat in from USA, so I have my doubts whether that's the origin.

We have had less storms and a much smaller potential inventory of storm damaged boats. But they do occur: pic below of Port Hinchinbrook Marina after Cyclone Yasi. Can you see the boat you looked at in this pic?
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2015, 06:27 AM   #42
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I'd bet the Clipper name has only been applied since it landed here in Aus. In the US it would have been a Mariner or some other well-known 'Marine Trader' type name, but they all come from the same yards in China.
There certainly boats that look like it in the USA and they come from China but changing the badging and the title to be a Clipper doesn't pass the smell test specially after what I have read of Australian boat import standards for wiring and the like. I am very sceptical of the claim this boat was storm damaged in the USA and shipped to Australia. I don't question the fact it was damaged but would think if it has windows from 3 different manufacturers, it has suffered more than a single event.

Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:02 AM   #43
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
Though 2' longer than you're looking for, the Mainship 40 would probably meet your needs. Full walk-arounds, galley up, sleeps 4 in fwd berth + 2 bunks, FB, available in single or twin, and they'll probably meet your budget. We toured a 2005 last week.... very nice boats. Matter of fact, they're on the top of our short list.

Agree 100% its my dream boat very few to purchase in Australia I doubt there would be 5 to 10 in total here .

I could easy fall in love with this one Used 2008 MAINSHIP TRAWLER 40 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au
but its not in my budget .What would the same boat sell for in USA ??
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Agree 100% its my dream boat very few to purchase in Australia I doubt there would be 5 to 10 in total here .

I could easy fall in love with this one Used 2008 MAINSHIP TRAWLER 40 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au
Actually I think Brian might have a point - it might have been a North Queensland cyclone casualty.

Gaston, I've looked at a lot of those in the 40' range. I think the Clipper 40 is nicer than the Mainship, and there are some, as I posted back a page, that are now coming into your price range. Have you considered them..?
Cheers,
Old 10-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #45
KMA

City: Merritt Island
Asking prices for 2005-2008 model years range from $197k - $265k USD. All appear to be on the US east coast. Here is the yachtworld search I used. I capped the search price at $315k USD.

Quote:

KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #46
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Spending a couple hours in a like make boat that is rejected at the outset can be valueable. For me it was worth seeing similar Monks and seeing the good or bad traits so that I could look out for them on other boats. After a five hour drive and on different brand, I told my wife we were not buying this boat at any price before we stepped on board due to the obvious fiberglass problems showing from the outside. Still took a hundred pictures.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #47

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
I pulled my offer last night. Too many sketchy things happening with the brokers. Don't know how they can run a business like that.

Cheers, Bill
Old 10-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Morrinsville
Vessel Name: Nordic Blue
Vessel Model: Nimbus 380 Commander
Aus/USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
There certainly boats that look like it in the USA and they come from China but changing the badging and the title to be a Clipper doesn't pass the smell test specially after what I have read of Australian boat import standards for wiring and the like. I am very sceptical of the claim this boat was storm damaged in the USA and shipped to Australia. I don't question the fact it was damaged but would think if it has windows from 3 different manufacturers, it has suffered more than a single event.
Surely if the boat originated in the US then there would be some signs of the original US electrics? I believe that Clippers and other Asian boats manufactured for the NZ/Aus market are usually 230 - 240v/50hz.
Grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #49
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Fixing things and tarting things up for sale is a dead give away
In this case they were hiding things which lead to looking for more things that had been missed which were found .

Now I find the boat has had 3 other surveys in the last 8 months ??
OK. To me there is a difference between "hiding things" and correctly fixing know issues that would come up on a survey anyway.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #50
Guru

Speaking of US boats, there is a twin engine Mainship 40 on New boats and used boats for sale - BoatPoint Australia for AU230K, a simple brand based search will find it easily. It is advertised located in NSW state, the main pic show a background I don`t recognize, I think I see the letters "FL" among lettering visible in one pic, so probably an import. Is it worth a look?
There are no Halvorsen 34 Gourmet cruisers advertised at present, but they might fall in the search parameter too.
The Clipper 40 is at/above budget, there was one advertised at $299K/offers but it has disappeared, while the 315K one Peter noted is back.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montenido View Post
I pulled my offer last night. Too many sketchy things happening with the brokers. Don't know how they can run a business like that.
Can you be sure it`s the broker, or is it the owner playing games? Academic anyway, if you are being messed about, and don`t trust "the seller side", best do what you just did.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #52
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
If I was to purchase a used boat, I'd buy it locally since I'd intended to boat in local waters. That was my initial plan until the boat I wanted was half a world away because the wanted-boat was built new and, particularly, better fit the criteria. Shipping/importing was about 15-percent of the cost of the boat. It was worth it, and cost-effective.