3RD failed survey this year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I disagree...

My boat has LOTS of new fixes...just about every system is new and so is the bottom...and with about $20 grand in equipment upgrades...I probably would be asking pretty much what I paid for it 5 years ago. Signal anything...you bet...someone would begetting a heck of a deal.

New upholstery? VERY common simple spruce up.... not signaling anything...

Just because stuff is new or fixed doesn't mean a dang thing unless you find out why.

How old is the boat?

The boat is 6 years old 260 hours on engines window glass and windows don't match ect ect There is enough evidence to say this boat has been sunk damaged rolled on its side and repaired and sold to someone in Australia that didn't get a survey or they did get a survey but a very bad one.

The boat is 6 years old 260 hours on engines window glass and windows don't match ect ect There is enough evidence to say this boat has been sunk damaged rolled on its side and repaired and sold to someone in Australia that didn't get a survey or they did get a survey but a very bad one.
OK...sorry to be blunt...6 year old boat with that much work would raise my eyebrows too... not all the things mentioned..but you made your case. :thumb:

OK...sorry to be blunt...6 year old boat with that much work would raise my eyebrows too... not all the things mentioned..but you made your case. :thumb:

I admit that I was thinking a lot like you were, based on the OP's initial post. Now reading his latest it all makes sense to run quickly away.

seems like walking thru the boat oneself you might have noticed these items prior to survey...

as for "fixing things up for a sale" as a give away, I think here in the US at least, if you want top dollar for your house or boat it's pretty standard to spend some make ready $

seems like walking thru the boat oneself you might have noticed these items prior to survey...

as for "fixing things up for a sale" as a give away, I think here in the US at least, if you want top dollar for your house or boat it's pretty standard to spend some make ready $

I spent a good 3 hours on the boat before committing on a inspection and doubt anyone apart from a very good surveyor with a very good eye for small detail would have picked up things like 3 different manufactures of window glass and different make of window frames one one side .new bottoms in galley draws different brand of oven fridge and freezer new AC new door hinges .All this on a 6 year old boat .Seems Australia and Asia is a dumping ground for American damaged boats ? Is there a register in USA that once a boat is written off it cant be re insured in USA ???

I spent a good 3 hours on the boat before committing on a inspection and doubt anyone apart from a very good surveyor with a very good eye for small detail would have picked up things like 3 different manufactures of window glass and different make of window frames one one side .new bottoms in galley draws different brand of oven fridge and freezer new AC new door hinges .All this on a 6 year old boat .Seems Australia and Asia is a dumping ground for American damaged boats ? Is there a register in USA that once a boat is written off it cant be re insured in USA ???

Gaston, I think you could put money on it that boat was from the USA, and probably storm damaged. Why, because a 6 year old boat of that type in normal use could never have needed all those fixes, but mainly because I have a Clipper 34, so I know Clippers, and I know those Clipper 36s only came out about 6 years ago, when the new 34 proved less popular, as folk wanted bigger for similar money, and all the ones here in Australia from that time were called the 'Evolution Series' (including the 38 and 40), not the 'Heritage Series' as you report in your earlier post.

PS, I've got a nice Clipper 34 on the market, and I would save you grief by detailing each and every fault it has, mostly trivial and reflecting its age, yet it could still handle the trip to Sydney for sure, as it's been to the Whitsundays from here with previous owners several times. Its layout is more like the Clipper 40 than later 34's, however, it does have a Vee berth, and I grant you that an island double would be nice, and you can clearly afford something much newer. Personally, I'd recommend you look hard for an 'Evolution Series' Clipper 40, in my view the perfect mainly 2 people boat, and the earlier ones are now about 10 years old and I've seen the odd one down near your 200-300k price. I can tell you now, its a buyers market for sure, and no-one seriously wanting to sell would reject a reasonable offer. I know I would/will...hopefully...one day soon..?

Last edited:
Does sound like storm damaged boat, I guess you now know some more things to look for before getting a survey. In the circumstances the survey money was worth it.

Perhaps next time say to broker, I'm quite interested but I'd like to talk the owners about xyz. Then probe with them as much as you can about how long they have owned it, where they bought it. Follow your gut on whether they are open or evasive, ie turn up your BS antennae

Why are you saying this boat came from the USA? Clipper does not appear to be a brand sold here or at least not under that name.

Though 2' longer than you're looking for, the Mainship 40 would probably meet your needs. Full walk-arounds, galley up, sleeps 4 in fwd berth + 2 bunks, FB, available in single or twin, and they'll probably meet your budget. We toured a 2005 last week.... very nice boats. Matter of fact, they're on the top of our short list.

Must have walk around 110% be shaft drive fiberglass with fly bridge prefer 35 to 38 foot nothing bigger don't need any more than 4 bunks wife and self 99% galley must have view . With little choice in Australia it comes down to GB ? Clipper 36 Heritage, Mainship 38, Integrity 38 prefer single engine around 5 to 8 years old Importing is now a option

Why are you saying this boat came from the USA? Clipper does not appear to be a brand sold here or at least not under that name.

I'd bet the Clipper name has only been applied since it landed here in Aus. In the US it would have been a Mariner or some other well-known 'Marine Trader' type name, but they all come from the same yards in China.

I suspect it looks like this....and I must correct myself, it does appear they did use the Heritage name for this 36' version Clipper, but it is a sedan or Europa type, whereas Heritage is the term usually associated with the aft or tri-cabin version in the US, but they did not use the term 'Heritage' here for the earlier models, they were just called 'aft cabins'.

Clipper 36 Heritage Boat News, Review & Advice - boatpoint.com.au

By the way Gaston, here's a nice Clipper 40, (which is the 38 with another couple of feet in the cockpit). They are to die for vessels. Have you seen over one? If not try to do so, and take your 2iC along. She will insist you get one. I just picked up on this one quite easily Googling. I bet he'd take a 300K offer...

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/dealer/used/OAG-AD-10470194/2003-CLIPPER-40-EUROPA?cr=4&psq=%28%28Make%3DClipper%26%28%28%28SiloType%3DDealer%20used%20boats%7CSiloType%3DDealer%20new%20boats%29%7CSiloType%3DPrivate%20used%20boats%29%7CSiloType%3DDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%29%29%26Service%3DBoatsales%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

Here's another who might well entertain an offer...

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/dealer/used/OAG-AD-472937/2004-CLIPPER-HERITAGE-40?cr=4&psq=%28%28%28Make%3DClipper%26Model%3D%5BHERITAGE%2040%5D%29%26%28%28%28SiloType%3DDealer%20used%20boats%7CSiloType%3DDealer%20new%20boats%29%7CSiloType%3DPrivate%20used%20boats%29%7CSiloType%3DDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%29%29%26Service%3DBoatsales%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

Last edited:

Serious money required to ship a boat in from USA, so I have my doubts whether that's the origin.

We have had less storms and a much smaller potential inventory of storm damaged boats. But they do occur: pic below of Port Hinchinbrook Marina after Cyclone Yasi. Can you see the boat you looked at in this pic?

Attachments

• 446705.jpg
    446705.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 408
I'd bet the Clipper name has only been applied since it landed here in Aus. In the US it would have been a Mariner or some other well-known 'Marine Trader' type name, but they all come from the same yards in China.

There certainly boats that look like it in the USA and they come from China but changing the badging and the title to be a Clipper doesn't pass the smell test specially after what I have read of Australian boat import standards for wiring and the like. I am very sceptical of the claim this boat was storm damaged in the USA and shipped to Australia. I don't question the fact it was damaged but would think if it has windows from 3 different manufacturers, it has suffered more than a single event.

Though 2' longer than you're looking for, the Mainship 40 would probably meet your needs. Full walk-arounds, galley up, sleeps 4 in fwd berth + 2 bunks, FB, available in single or twin, and they'll probably meet your budget. We toured a 2005 last week.... very nice boats. Matter of fact, they're on the top of our short list.

Agree 100% its my dream boat very few to purchase in Australia I doubt there would be 5 to 10 in total here .

I could easy fall in love with this one Used 2008 MAINSHIP TRAWLER 40 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au
but its not in my budget .What would the same boat sell for in USA ??

Agree 100% its my dream boat very few to purchase in Australia I doubt there would be 5 to 10 in total here .

I could easy fall in love with this one Used 2008 MAINSHIP TRAWLER 40 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

Actually I think Brian might have a point - it might have been a North Queensland cyclone casualty.

Gaston, I've looked at a lot of those in the 40' range. I think the Clipper 40 is nicer than the Mainship, and there are some, as I posted back a page, that are now coming into your price range. Have you considered them..?
Cheers,

Asking prices for 2005-2008 model years range from $197k - $265k USD. All appear to be on the US east coast. Here is the yachtworld search I used. I capped the search price at $315k USD.

Spending a couple hours in a like make boat that is rejected at the outset can be valueable. For me it was worth seeing similar Monks and seeing the good or bad traits so that I could look out for them on other boats. After a five hour drive and on different brand, I told my wife we were not buying this boat at any price before we stepped on board due to the obvious fiberglass problems showing from the outside. Still took a hundred pictures.

I pulled my offer last night. Too many sketchy things happening with the brokers. Don't know how they can run a business like that.

Cheers, Bill

Aus/USA

There certainly boats that look like it in the USA and they come from China but changing the badging and the title to be a Clipper doesn't pass the smell test specially after what I have read of Australian boat import standards for wiring and the like. I am very sceptical of the claim this boat was storm damaged in the USA and shipped to Australia. I don't question the fact it was damaged but would think if it has windows from 3 different manufacturers, it has suffered more than a single event.

Surely if the boat originated in the US then there would be some signs of the original US electrics? I believe that Clippers and other Asian boats manufactured for the NZ/Aus market are usually 230 - 240v/50hz.

Fixing things and tarting things up for sale is a dead give away;)
In this case they were hiding things which lead to looking for more things that had been missed which were found .

Now I find the boat has had 3 other surveys in the last 8 months ??

OK. To me there is a difference between "hiding things" and correctly fixing know issues that would come up on a survey anyway.

Speaking of US boats, there is a twin engine Mainship 40 on New boats and used boats for sale - BoatPoint Australia for AU230K, a simple brand based search will find it easily. It is advertised located in NSW state, the main pic show a background I don`t recognize, I think I see the letters "FL" among lettering visible in one pic, so probably an import. Is it worth a look?
There are no Halvorsen 34 Gourmet cruisers advertised at present, but they might fall in the search parameter too.
The Clipper 40 is at/above budget, there was one advertised at $299K/offers but it has disappeared, while the 315K one Peter noted is back.

I pulled my offer last night. Too many sketchy things happening with the brokers. Don't know how they can run a business like that.
Can you be sure it`s the broker, or is it the owner playing games? Academic anyway, if you are being messed about, and don`t trust "the seller side", best do what you just did.

If I was to purchase a used boat, I'd buy it locally since I'd intended to boat in local waters. That was my initial plan until the boat I wanted was half a world away because the wanted-boat was built new and, particularly, better fit the criteria. Shipping/importing was about 15-percent of the cost of the boat. It was worth it, and cost-effective.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom