Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 405
Volvo Service Cost

Hi there, has anyone had their Volvo D-300's serviced at 200 hours? And if so, what the approximate cost of the service? Thx!
__________________
Advertisement

MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:32 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 405
Btw, service was around $2,500 for both engines.
__________________

MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:22 AM   #3
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,354
4 filters 10 gallons oil and 4 hours labor @$1000 a hour
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:39 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 405
Volvo Service Cost

Here's what was included:

*200 Hours Engine Service - Twin Volvo D4-300
*Inspect EVC systems
*Replace engine oil and filters
*Inspect coolant levels and quality
*Adjust drive belts
*Replace air filters
*Replace primary and secondary fuel filters
*Clean seawater filters
*Replace engine anodes
*Inspect seawater pump impellers
*Replace CCV filters
*Inspect rudder actuator oil
*Clean seawater inlets
*Replace transmission oil and filters
*Inspect exhaust hoses
*Test run engines
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:22 AM   #5
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,681
After what we paid for a 10,000 mile maintenance on our Mercedes Benz ML-350 Bluetec single engine diesel, that doesn't sound too bad. In fact, it sounds like a bargain.
__________________
Buffalo Bluff Light 28
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Boating is not an inexpensive hobby and you live in a part of the country where the cost of living is pretty high. Remember, you got some oil and filters with that service and you paid retail. And it was two engines so everything was done twice.

I understand going to the authorized service facility for the first few services just to have an experienced person working on your engines and to make sure the warranty isn't compromised, but you can probably do most of this work yourself if you are "mechanically inclined" and have the time.

You can also shop for better prices on parts and cut your maintenance costs.

Other than paying $900 for 100 hour service on a Volvo gas engine 15 years ago, I have nothing to compare your cost to but I suspect it's about right for what you got and where you live.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
Guru
 
Besslb's Avatar
 
City: Cary NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
Here's what was included:

*200 Hours Engine Service - Twin Volvo D4-300
*Inspect EVC systems
*Replace engine oil and filters
*Inspect coolant levels and quality
*Adjust drive belts
*Replace air filters
*Replace primary and secondary fuel filters
*Clean seawater filters
*Replace engine anodes
*Inspect seawater pump impellers
*Replace CCV filters
*Inspect rudder actuator oil
*Clean seawater inlets
*Replace transmission oil and filters
*Inspect exhaust hoses
*Test run engines
Did they replace all the zincs?? We have the TAM6.3 and have three zincs each.

Never mind! I found the anodes! ignore me.
Besslb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,174
Looks like you got 2 hours of mechanic's time at dealer rates (1.5 to 2 * independent mechanic's rates) and paid retail for all of the bits and pieces they supplied. Should be no surprise that it added up quickly.
Until you have the complete list of what ought to be done, you might miss something important, so regret any DIY attempt to save a buck or two.
Now that you know the complete list, and have seen how easy it all is, you can make an educated choice when it is time for the next service. You may decide to continue with the dealer rates, if only for your peace of mind.
__________________
Keith
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Looks like you got 2 hours of mechanic's time at dealer rates (1.5 to 2 * independent mechanic's rates)


For what it's worth, this service took the mechanic 6 or 7 hours.

Unfortunately, it's tight enough down in the engine room that it was tough to see what he was doing half the time. And after 3 or 4 hours and not having eaten I ran out of steam trying to follow along. Finally, I didn't have the hardware or software to connect to the engine to check error codes, etc. and let Volvo know the engine was serviced for the official record.

I'm 6'3", 205 and I would have been miserable down there for 6 hours - especially the next day!

If we end up retiring for the cruising life, I'll have to get a full displacement trawler with a gargantuan engine room!
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
If we end up retiring for the cruising life, I'll have to get a full displacement trawler with a gargantuan engine room!


http://www.realtrawlers.com/index.ph...lers&Itemid=13

Now there's something I can help you with.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 405
Nice! What's your connection to the company?
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:19 PM   #12
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Volvo Service Cost

None unfortunately however the builder is a TF member. He doesn't have a good member discount that I'm aware of.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 405
Gotcha. Pretty stout looking trawlers. Wonder what the interiors look like. I'm one of those rare individuals that places a higher importance on my car's interior quality/styling than the exterior, so interior design is really important to me in a boat as well. While some of the custom trawlers have gorgeous interiors, many have very dated styling.
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
For what it's worth, this service took the mechanic 6 or 7 hours.

Unfortunately, it's tight enough down in the engine room that it was tough to see what he was doing half the time. And after 3 or 4 hours and not having eaten I ran out of steam trying to follow along. Finally, I didn't have the hardware or software to connect to the engine to check error codes, etc. and let Volvo know the engine was serviced for the official record.

I'm 6'3", 205 and I would have been miserable down there for 6 hours - especially the next day!

If we end up retiring for the cruising life, I'll have to get a full displacement trawler with a gargantuan engine room!
If the service was done correctly and is warrantied, and considering your location, then I don't see anything unreasonable about the charge. A lot of parts and supplies and 6 to 7 hours labor. Yes, you paid retail for the parts and supplies as you were buying them retail. Obviously DIY is less expensive if one has the desire, knowledge and skill.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
If the service was done correctly and is warrantied, and considering your location, then I don't see anything unreasonable about the charge. A lot of parts and supplies and 6 to 7 hours labor. Yes, you paid retail for the parts and supplies as you were buying them retail. Obviously DIY is less expensive if one has the desire, knowledge and skill.
Agreed!
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Country: USA
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 211
Send a message via Skype™ to bglad
I second these comments. Sounds like the mechanic covered additional ground besides just engine services. Definitely did some things that you might do when you achieve greater comfort level; but, when you don't know it is better to pay and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
If the service was done correctly and is warrantied, and considering your location, then I don't see anything unreasonable about the charge. A lot of parts and supplies and 6 to 7 hours labor. Yes, you paid retail for the parts and supplies as you were buying them retail. Obviously DIY is less expensive if one has the desire, knowledge and skill.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #17
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,354
Cummins 330HP


*Inspect EVC systems. N/A
*Replace engine oil and filters 40 minutes
*Inspect coolant levels and quality 2 minutes
*Adjust drive belts 15 minutes
*Replace air filters 5 minutes
*Replace primary and secondary fuel filters 30 minutes
*Clean seawater filters 5 minutes
*Replace engine anodes 30 minutes
*Inspect seawater pump impellers N/A on Cummins
*Replace CCV filters N/A but its a 10 min job
*Inspect rudder actuator oil 30 seconds
*Clean seawater inlets Need to lift boat to inspect ?????
*Replace transmission oil and filters 30 minutes
*Inspect exhaust hoses 5 minutes
*Test run engines[/QUOTE] 5 minutes

Oil and filters $220 AU


Just saying
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #18
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Cummins 330HP


*Inspect EVC systems. N/A
*Replace engine oil and filters 40 minutes
*Inspect coolant levels and quality 2 minutes
*Adjust drive belts 15 minutes
*Replace air filters 5 minutes
*Replace primary and secondary fuel filters 30 minutes
*Clean seawater filters 5 minutes
*Replace engine anodes 30 minutes
*Inspect seawater pump impellers N/A on Cummins
*Replace CCV filters N/A but its a 10 min job
*Inspect rudder actuator oil 30 seconds
*Clean seawater inlets Need to lift boat to inspect ?????
*Replace transmission oil and filters 30 minutes
*Inspect exhaust hoses 5 minutes
*Test run engines
5 minutes

Oil and filters $220 AU


Just saying [/QUOTE]

Are your numbers for one engine or two?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Cummins 330HP


*Inspect EVC systems. N/A
*Replace engine oil and filters 40 minutes
*Inspect coolant levels and quality 2 minutes
*Adjust drive belts 15 minutes
*Replace air filters 5 minutes
*Replace primary and secondary fuel filters 30 minutes
*Clean seawater filters 5 minutes
*Replace engine anodes 30 minutes
*Inspect seawater pump impellers N/A on Cummins
*Replace CCV filters N/A but its a 10 min job
*Inspect rudder actuator oil 30 seconds
*Clean seawater inlets Need to lift boat to inspect ?????
*Replace transmission oil and filters 30 minutes
*Inspect exhaust hoses 5 minutes
*Test run engines
5 minutes

Oil and filters $220 AU


Just saying [/QUOTE]



So about 6 hours for two Cummins engines. Not that much different. Especially since things are also typically easier to get to with a single engine versus twins.

And $440 for parts. The Volvo parts are the bigger difference.
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:59 PM   #20
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
He's not in AU.

He has two Volvos, not a Cummins and some of your times are absurd. 30 seconds? Really?
__________________

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012