Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #81
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,683
It’s too bad when the people you buy your things from are the enemy.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:54 PM   #82
Guru
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 677
Volvo Service Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Itís too bad when the people you buy your things from are the enemy.


Result of a highly litigious environment. But there are companies who don't behave this way and they are rewarded for it.
__________________

MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:11 PM   #83
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 9,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Actually the warranty clause requiring the annual service to be done by one of their dealers has lost in court every time I know of it being tested. Car manufacturers have tried it. The rulings have been that they must prove the problem was related to inadequate maintenance or mistakes made by whoever performed it. That's another reason the manufacturers don't push the issue. They only use it when there are obvious signs that a problem resulted because maintenance was not performed.
It`s well publicized here car dealers cannot require services to be dealer performed to maintain warranty, but the dispute resolution to get warranty work done could be a hassle if you strike a nasty dealer or maker following a path of resistance. If you are up for an argument you`ll likely succeed.
I recently had a dealer voluntarily request (successfully) the manufacturer cover an out of warranty issue. I might not have got that had I not exclusively used dealer service. Though I was probably entitled to the repair under general consumer law.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:00 AM   #84
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
It`s well publicized here car dealers cannot require services to be dealer performed to maintain warranty, but the dispute resolution to get warranty work done could be a hassle if you strike a nasty dealer or maker following a path of resistance. If you are up for an argument you`ll likely succeed.
I recently had a dealer voluntarily request (successfully) the manufacturer cover an out of warranty issue. I might not have got that had I not exclusively used dealer service. Though I was probably entitled to the repair under general consumer law.
I had a dealer cover a $600 item warranted for 60,000 miles without question when it failed at 63,000 miles.

Some manufacturers also give dealers more freedom to use judgment than others and some dealers will go to bat for the customer more.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:01 AM   #85
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Itís too bad when the people you buy your things from are the enemy.
I haven't seen indication in this thread of anyone being the enemy. If they were, I'd agree with you, but no indication Beneteau is acting inappropriately. Now, if they ultimately do, I'll change that thought.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:09 AM   #86
Guru
 
City: San Francisco
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I haven't seen indication in this thread of anyone being the enemy. If they were, I'd agree with you, but no indication Beneteau is acting inappropriately. Now, if they ultimately do, I'll change that thought.


In my experience once you get the right people at Beneteau involved, they do the right thing.
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:34 AM   #87
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
It`s well publicized here car dealers cannot require services to be dealer performed to maintain warranty, but the dispute resolution to get warranty work done could be a hassle if you strike a nasty dealer or maker following a path of resistance. If you are up for an argument you`ll likely succeed.
I recently had a dealer voluntarily request (successfully) the manufacturer cover an out of warranty issue. I might not have got that had I not exclusively used dealer service. Though I was probably entitled to the repair under general consumer law.
I've had no issues claiming on my engine warranty even though I did the engine installation and every service myself. I just ring up and notify them that xxx has failed and the parts are sent to me the next day; no questions asked.

Kudos to Vetus.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #88
Guru
 
TDunn's Avatar
 
City: Maine Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 832
Wow, I see some outrageous charges for an oil change here. I do mine myself. I have an oil change pump mounted on a 5 gallon bucket. I run the engine to warm it up, shut down, connect the pump to the oil drain tube and turn the pump on. The oil is out of the engine in less than a minute. Once that is done I replace the oil filter (5 minutes) and the fuel filter. Changing the fuel filter is a bit more involved since I put several oil sorbent pads under/around the filter mount before removing the filter. I fill the new filter with diesel before spinning it on. The final step is to bleed the fuel system. The entire process takes about 15 minutes. Changing the transmission fluid takes an additional 5-10 minutes. Once all the filters are changed I put the new oil in, start the engine and run it for 5 minutes, let the engine sit for a few minutes then top the oil up. The entire process takes under an hour. Changing the raw water impeller is an additional 10 minute job. I don't change any zincs/anodes since my Volvo-Penta diesel doesn't have any (Monel heat exchanger).
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #89
Senior Member
 
City: Washington
Country: US
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
Wow, I see some outrageous charges for an oil change here. I do mine myself. I have an oil change pump mounted on a 5 gallon bucket. I run the engine to warm it up, shut down, connect the pump to the oil drain tube and turn the pump on. The oil is out of the engine in less than a minute. Once that is done I replace the oil filter (5 minutes) and the fuel filter. Changing the fuel filter is a bit more involved since I put several oil sorbent pads under/around the filter mount before removing the filter. I fill the new filter with diesel before spinning it on. The final step is to bleed the fuel system. The entire process takes about 15 minutes. Changing the transmission fluid takes an additional 5-10 minutes. Once all the filters are changed I put the new oil in, start the engine and run it for 5 minutes, let the engine sit for a few minutes then top the oil up. The entire process takes under an hour. Changing the raw water impeller is an additional 10 minute job. I don't change any zincs/anodes since my Volvo-Penta diesel doesn't have any (Monel heat exchanger).
You are either amazingly fast or your watch is broken. I would love to watch you do this in under an hour. Perhaps you could post a video.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #90
Guru
 
hmason's Avatar
 
City: Stuart FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,228
On my twins my 1 hour oil change takes 4 hours.
__________________
Howard
Magic, 1996 Grand Banks Europa
Westport, CT and Stuart, FL
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #91
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
Wow, I see some outrageous charges for an oil change here. I do mine myself. .
No, you see a misclassification, calling it a charge for an oil change. It's far more being done.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #92
Senior Member
 
TowLou's Avatar
 
City: Flanders, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 176
If i was close to ya id ask between half to a third of that if you had all the oil and filters. Id even have my own tools. Oil disposal I think I could figure that out safely.
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #93
Guru
 
City: Z
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 715
I am looking for someone to teach me and will take care of future changes.. Of course will pay for someone's time! Boat is currently in Kemah Texas area
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:39 PM   #94
Guru
 
AusCan's Avatar
 
City: Adelaide
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,793
There's not much to an oil change. Just like changing the oil on you car, other than pumping the oil out. A simple oil change should take under an hour per engine.

Other service items depend on the run hours. Read your engine manual. Most manuals spell it out quite clearly.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #95
Guru
 
City: Z
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 715
Is there any place to buy authentic volvo parts online? I.e. filters, etc.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #96
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,568
Wow. I am glad I stuck to my guns when I bought a boat. If it had Volvo, I passed it by. High costs for parts, I.E. the impeller you are replacing cost about $250. My cost for Cats $43.


Volvo loves there parts way too much. Good luck mystery. You will get there.
__________________
Alaskan Sea-Duction
MMSI: 338131469
https://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #97
Guru
 
TDunn's Avatar
 
City: Maine Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatman View Post
You are either amazingly fast or your watch is broken. I would love to watch you do this in under an hour. Perhaps you could post a video.
I just checked my log book for my last oil change. It did take over an hour. In fact I was aboard the boat for 2 hours 25 minutes. Of course, that time included the hour and a half run I did on the boat before changing the oil.

The procedure is simple. I start by opening the engine hatch. Next I pull the dip stick and remove the oil fill cap. After that I connect the oil pump to the pump out fitting (my engine came with a pump out tube plumbed into the bottom of the pan). Connecting the pump simply consists of sliding the hose onto the tube. Then I connect the pump to a battery and flip the switch. While the oil is pumping out I arrange oil sorbent pads under the oil and fuel filters. When the oil is out I shut the pump off and disconnect it. The next step is to spin the oil filter off and install the new one. After that I put the new oil in the engine. Changing the fuel filter is next. I start by closing the fuel shut off in the fuel line. The filter is a spin off, so It comes off easily. I pour the fuel in the filter through a filter funnel into the new filter and spin it on. The next step is to open the fuel valve and bleed the fuel system. My fuel filter housing has a bleed screw you open then pump the priming pump to fill the filter and remove air. Prefilling the fuel filter makes this step very fast. The final step is to replace the dip stick and oil fill cap then start the engine and run it for five minutes. After the engine run I wait a couple of minutes, check the oil and add additional oil as needed.

Note, I have all the tools needed on the boat. I also worked in a garage in high school and college where I did hundreds of oil changes. Oil changes are simple.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #98
Guru
 
RCook's Avatar


 
City: Holladay, UT
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 606
From VP's own store, a seawater pump impeller for D4-300 is $63.14.

On Marine Parts Express it's $60.61

I've bought VP parts for my 44 from them - worked out fine.
__________________
Richard Cook
Dream Catcher (Nordic Tug 37-065)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:29 PM   #99
Guru
 
koliver's Avatar
 
City: Saltspring Island
Country: BC, canada
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
I just checked my log book for my last oil change. It did take over an hour. In fact I was aboard the boat for 2 hours 25 minutes. Of course, that time included the hour and a half run I did on the boat before changing the oil.

Note, I have all the tools needed on the boat. Oil changes are simple.



My oil changes take longer since I lost the services of the fuel barge's vacuum pump. They would feed me a hose with adapters on it, I would attach it to the hose from the sump on the first engine. 1 minute later I would attach it to the hose from the second sump. 1 minute later I would attach it to the hose from the genset. It took longer to pour in the new oil. 5 minutes to do 3 filters. Out of there in under 1/2 hour.

Since the Esso barge left and wasn't replaced, Coal Harbour has been served by only the Chevron, and due to high commercial boat demand they no longer suck out pleasure boat sumps. I now have my own vacuum pump but that adds at least 5 minutes to each oil change.

I have twin Volvos.
Someone said $250 for a Volvo impeller? No way. I don't recall what mine cost, but I would definitely recall an outrageous price.

RCook said "From VP's own store, a seawater pump impeller for D4-300 is $63.14.

On Marine Parts Express it's $60.61"

I've bought VP parts for my 44 from them - worked out fine."

+1

I shop Inlet Marine (VP Dealer in Port Moody BC). I doubt I have ever paid more than RCook, on my TAMD41s.
__________________
Keith
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #100
Guru
 
City: Z
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 715
If I dont have this oil hose pre-installed, what is the best way to extract the oil?
__________________

mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012