Old 10-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
5 minutes

Oil and filters $220 AU

Just saying

So about 6 hours for two Cummins engines. Not that much different. Especially since things are also typically easier to get to with a single engine versus twins.

And $440 for parts. The Volvo parts are the bigger difference.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he will clarify. I'm also interested in how he's going to undock a boat, run it and wait for the engines to come up to temperature than check it at WOT to make sure it's reaching full RPM and do all that in 5 minutes. I don't know what the Volvo service guide says, but some engine manufacturers do have that for all service. That's my definition of "test run engines."

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
So about 6 hours for two Cummins engines. Not that much different. Especially since things are also typically easier to get to with a single engine versus twins.

And $440 for parts. The Volvo parts are the bigger difference.

Maybe he will clarify. I'm also interested in how he's going to undock a boat, run it and wait for the engines to come up to temperature than check it at WOT to make sure it's reaching full RPM and do all that in 5 minutes. I don't know what the Volvo service guide says, but some engine manufacturers do have that for all service. That's my definition of "test run engines."[/QUOTE]

The Volvo technician ran the engines until they came up to operating temperature. Took a while at the dock!

MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Maybe he will clarify. I'm also interested in how he's going to undock a boat, run it and wait for the engines to come up to temperature than check it at WOT to make sure it's reaching full RPM and do all that in 5 minutes. I don't know what the Volvo service guide says, but some engine manufacturers do have that for all service. That's my definition of "test run engines."

The Volvo technician ran the engines until they came up to operating temperature. Took a while at the dock![/QUOTE]

Then did they check them under load at WOT?
Old 10-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
The Volvo technician ran the engines until they came up to operating temperature. Took a while at the dock!

Then did they check them under load at WOT?[/QUOTE]

No, they did not. He ran it to the maximum allowed rpm in neutral (as per the Volvo EVC), then under partial load at the dock while still tied up. Never ran at WOT.
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Then did they check them under load at WOT?

No, they did not. He ran it to the maximum allowed rpm in neutral (as per the Volvo EVC), then under partial load at the dock while still tied up. Never ran at WOT.[/QUOTE]

I don't know whether Volvo recommends it or not. When we service or get serviced, it's always a part of it. Nothing worse than getting a boat returned and it won't run right. Also, owners often don't check at WOT.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #26
Guru

My boat has two Volvos and in 17 years no one has ever touched them but me. At those prices I must have saved myself over $50,000 just on regular service, never mind repairs.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
My boat has two Volvos and in 17 years no one has ever touched them but me. At those prices I must have saved myself over $50,000 just on regular service, never mind repairs.
That sounds reasonable to save $3000 a year if you're putting a lot of hours on them by servicing them yourself. Some people can't do that. Some don't want to. Some have jobs or professions where they prefer to still earn what it takes to pay for such services.

Don't expect paying for services to be even in the same ballpark as DIY.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #28
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
Michael,

Thanks for sharing.

We are fortunate to have IRENE in the care of a very experienced VP technician. We like him to do our drive service, and occasionally other things. He attends VP training annually, and he looks at many, many, D4 AQ power packages (which we have in IRENE).

We are a single engine boat, operating nearly 200 hours per year, occasionally in remote places. We find it comforting that we have a technician of his experience level practicing his craft on our boat, performing sea trials, and dispensing advice. For us, it is the necessary price of visiting all of the great places IRENE takes us.

Jeff
IRENE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #29
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
5 minutes

Oil and filters $220 AU

Just saying

And $440 for parts. The Volvo parts are the bigger difference.[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't use Volvo parts if you did it yourself. Most of it is oil & filters, and quality filters would be about half what Volvo charges.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #30
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
5 minutes

Oil and filters $220 AU

Just saying
Are your numbers for one engine or two?[/QUOTE]

1 engine
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:28 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
He's not in AU.

He has two Volvos, not a Cummins and some of your times are absurd. 30 seconds? Really?

*Inspect rudder actuator oil 30 seconds

The oil is in a plastic container just need to look at it how long dose it take you ?
Old 10-02-2017, 07:33 AM   #32
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post

*Inspect rudder actuator oil 30 seconds

The oil is in a plastic container just need to look at it how long dose it take you ?
If you happen to be sitting in front of the plastic container, 30 seconds might be fair, but you have to get to the bottle to look at it and you have to go back to where you were afterwards and then you have to fill out the form that you checked it and it was OK.

Let's remember that service includes getting to the boat, getting on the boat, gaining access to the work area, going for parts, doing the work, cleaning up, closing up, getting back to the office, disposing of the old parts and filling out the paperwork.

Quite often, standard services like a 200 hr service on a particular engine has a fixed labor rate based on how long it normally takes to do that service, rather than actually timing the mechanic. This is simpler and allows the shop to quote a price, rather than an estimate.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #33
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
This is interesting since I am going to be doing the 200 hour service on my Volvo-Penta diesel on Wednesday. I expect it is going to cost me about $135 if I change the air filter or $40 if I don't. The job should take no more than two hours.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #34
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I change my own oil. For me a requirement is a good supply of absorbent pads. Geez I use a lot and spend more time cleaning up and fiddling around than the less messy pros.

Like Irene says, a good Volvo guy is a must. If not treated right the newer designs can get cranky.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #35
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
Volvo parts are expensive and the local dealers are known to charge a lot. With that said, I think the noted cost for the parts and repairs are reasonable.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #36
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post

And $440 for parts. The Volvo parts are the bigger difference.
You wouldn't use Volvo parts if you did it yourself. Most of it is oil & filters, and quality filters would be about half what Volvo charges.[/QUOTE]

The cost of an oil filter is related to the quality. I have had Volvo engines for 23 years I have replaced the oil filters every year. Sometimes I use Volvo filters, sometimes other brands. Each weighs according to the amount of filter medium inside. The Volvo filters are heaviest, proportionally to their higher price. If you are changing after 50 hours you probably don't need anything above a Wix. If after 250 hours you probably benefit by using Volvo brand. Other brands in between.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:38 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
You wouldn't use Volvo parts if you did it yourself. Most of it is oil & filters, and quality filters would be about half what Volvo charges.
The cost of an oil filter is related to the quality. I have had Volvo engines for 23 years I have replaced the oil filters every year. Sometimes I use Volvo filters, sometimes other brands. Each weighs according to the amount of filter medium inside. The Volvo filters are heaviest, proportionally to their higher price. If you are changing after 50 hours you probably don't need anything above a Wix. If after 250 hours you probably benefit by using Volvo brand. Other brands in between.[/QUOTE]

I use OEM. Always. However, I also negotiate good prices on them. Often if you'll commit to a supplier 100% loyalty they'll agree to a discount on all sales.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #38
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Add 30 minutes (average) for getting everything together, onto the boat, cleanup and billing.

Not sure if on site or tech had to drive to boat.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:30 PM   #39

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
GOING T O DO MY OWN PRE WINTER SERVICE THIS YEAR.
340 hrs on engines.
If all goes well. I suspect 3 hrs per engine (oil, fuel filters, impellers, etc.)
Parts have an incremental cost over Cummings.
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
The cost of an oil filter is related to the quality. I have had Volvo engines for 23 years I have replaced the oil filters every year. Sometimes I use Volvo filters, sometimes other brands. Each weighs according to the amount of filter medium inside. The Volvo filters are heaviest, proportionally to their higher price. If you are changing after 50 hours you probably don't need anything above a Wix. If after 250 hours you probably benefit by using Volvo brand. Other brands in between.
I use OEM. Always. However, I also negotiate good prices on them. Often if you'll commit to a supplier 100% loyalty they'll agree to a discount on all sales.[/QUOTE]

Weight has absolutely nothing to do with filter quality