Old 04-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Pt. Richmond
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST-44
Volvo D4-300 I-e Heat Exchanger End Caps. ST-44. 2012

Hi,
Upon the last Engine Service I was told that both Engine Heat Exchangers and Air Charge Coolers have leaking End Caps and require service. Further stated that Volvo has a Service Bulletin out on this issue. The Servicer felt that Volvo would cover the repair as a "recall" but I am now being told that it not true and the Estimate is approx $2500 per engine. I called another local shop and confirmed that this is a known issue and needs to be addressed to prevent extensive damage.

Just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience with their Volvo's? I have approx 650 hours on mine.
dallas2153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Interesting, thank you. I don`t have the direct experience you seek, but have been looking online at a boat with 300hp D4s, and wondered about any issues. In discussion, my mechanic raised issues about end caps, O rings, etc, but generally, not in a D4 context. I hope Volvo reconsiders. Consumer law may take you beyond the manufacturers idea of guarantee/warranty.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
"I am now being told that it not true"

Told by who?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Bay Marine, the local Volvo Servicer told me originally that they thought it would be covered by warranty but then yesterday told me that since the engines were 2011 that the warranty had expired.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas2153 View Post
Bay Marine, the local Volvo Servicer told me originally that they thought it would be covered by warranty but then yesterday told me that since the engines were 2011 that the warranty had expired.
Well, they are a bit on the old side to be covered by the original warranty but you could try writing Volvo direct and see what they have to say.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
Guru

Welcome to the world of disgruntled VOLVO owners. I have been one for seventeen years.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
$2500 to change a few O-rings-good grief-it's a DYI job I think.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Dallas
A six year old motor is ready for cooler servicing by a good Volvo marine shop. A complete after cooler and HXer service would routinely replace the O rings as well as other labor related cleaning.

Post same question on boatdiesel for the several Volvo service experts who reside there. Far more to it than O rings though.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Turns out that Volvo had a Service Advisory on this issue and paid for rebuilding the Heat Exchangers and provided replacement Aftercoolers once it was determined that my engines were commissioned just shy of five years. The tell is white, powder-like substance on the bottom of the end caps.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:57 PM   #10
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas2153 View Post
Turns out that Volvo had a Service Advisory on this issue and paid for rebuilding the Heat Exchangers and provided replacement Aftercoolers once it was determined that my engines were commissioned just shy of five years. The tell is white, powder-like substance on the bottom of the end caps.
good to hear they stepped up. i was going to say if there is a service bulletin, they should be paying for it. out of curiosity, what recalls (if any) have there been on the ST44 either by volvo, onan, or Beneteau? I am looking at purchasing one and want to make sure all issues are taken care of. Thanks!
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
good to hear they stepped up. i was going to say if there is a service bulletin, they should be paying for it. out of curiosity, what recalls (if any) have there been on the ST44 either by volvo, onan, or Beneteau? I am looking at purchasing one and want to make sure all issues are taken care of. Thanks!
Look up rclarke246 on TF. D4 replacements on a ST44 due to high oil consumption. Now HXer and after cooler issues. Hummm, Be careful.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:10 AM   #12
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
any word what year (if any) volvo fixed this issue on engines leaving their factory? thanks!
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote