Old 11-23-2019, 05:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Placida, FL
Vessel Name: No Regrets
Vessel Model: Swift Trawler 44
New ST-44 Owner (almost... Delivery in January)

I recently ordered a new Swift Trawler 44. The boat is currently in transit to the US for delivery in January. Hull #302 - I guess this may be one of the last ST-44s being built as I hear Beneteau has discontinuing the ST-44 model in favor of the new 41?

As I am new to the Trawler world... I would appreciate any advice regarding the boat, taking delivery, critical maintenance, trawler events/trips, best places to cruise/visit (SW-FL/Keys/Bahamas), etc...

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide...
nhislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Don’t know much about that particular boat, but I am assuming it will be nice so congrats.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:22 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Since you are paying close to a half million for that boat, I would hire a surveyor to do a complete survey and sea trial once it arrives, is commissioned and turned over to you by the dealer. On the seatrial make sure that the boat is propped correctly.

If you can hold the last payment until afterwards, so much the better.

I assume that you are taking delivery in Florida. I am in SW Florida, so if I can help, PM me.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #4

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Congrats
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:58 PM   #5
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Going by the video review of this boat I just watched, I'd have them install some LED strip lighting in the engine room, other than that, a great boat. Actually almost the perfect Pacific Northwest and coastal BC boat with that great covered cockpit to keep out the torrential rain in the off seasons.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #6
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhislander View Post
I recently ordered a new Swift Trawler 44. The boat is currently in transit to the US for delivery in January. Hull #302 - I guess this may be one of the last ST-44s being built as I hear Beneteau has discontinuing the ST-44 model in favor of the new 41?

As I am new to the Trawler world... I would appreciate any advice regarding the boat, taking delivery, critical maintenance, trawler events/trips, best places to cruise/visit (SW-FL/Keys/Bahamas), etc...

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide...
Congrats

Read all the existing threads here on TF at a bare minimum, lots of info on tips/tricks/maintenance/etc

As for taking delivery, I highly recommend a close inspection and sea trial before taking final delivery. If you don't have the expertise yourself, hire a surveyor / mechanic, test every system, look at everything.

Make sure you get all manuals for engines, gensets, every system installed. Read them, understand operating instructions, maintenance, etc. In fact, I downloaded most of the manuals before I got my ST44, and read them in the weeks before I took delivery.
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
I just watched the vid’s on your new boat. Looks like a great layout for extended cruising. I was surprised at the cruise speed. Very quick and very efficient.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc View Post
I just watched the vid’s on your new boat. Looks like a great layout for extended cruising. I was surprised at the cruise speed. Very quick and very efficient.
performance / cruise speed depends on sea conditions, wind, currents, weight/load, etc.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Auckland
Congrats!

Having done the same 2 years ago I also agree that you should have the boat surveyed before delivery. We did and found a few voids etc.

We also went through horrendous dealings with the dealer and Beneteau due to issues with the engine/drive train install. We had to fight and were going to court until they backed down!

New engine mounts - D6 versions rather than the D4's
New cutlass bearings
Props re pitched - They came stamped 24/25, when measured one was 24/24 and the other was 24/24.5. Quality was poor
Bend in 1 shaft
shaft tapers not matched to the props
Shaft threads were still dog threads.

Marine propulsion engineer recommended the struts to be aligned properly but Beneteau refused to do this. I expect we'll be in for another battle when the cutlass bearings wear out.

Great boat, we love it. Appalling after care service from Dealer/Beneteau.
KiwiClive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I fully agree with the sea trial and full survey on this or any other new boat ordered. This boat especially because of things others have seen. All of these are correctable but you want them fixed by Beneteau before it's your boat and your responsibility.

As an example, I am friends with a captain whose customer took delivery of another brand recently, a boat very similar to one we owned of the same brand. We had no issues but this boat just has had way too many small things. Fortunately, the warranty service is good. Fortunately, he did not buy through one dealer that was notorious for lousy warranty service. Also, the boat was not achieving maximum RPM and the props had to be changed. Just saying, it's not just a Beneteau issue.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiClive View Post
Congrats!

Having done the same 2 years ago I also agree that you should have the boat surveyed before delivery. We did and found a few voids etc.

We also went through horrendous dealings with the dealer and Beneteau due to issues with the engine/drive train install. We had to fight and were going to court until they backed down!

New engine mounts - D6 versions rather than the D4's
New cutlass bearings
Props re pitched - They came stamped 24/25, when measured one was 24/24 and the other was 24/24.5. Quality was poor
Bend in 1 shaft
shaft tapers not matched to the props
Shaft threads were still dog threads.

Marine propulsion engineer recommended the struts to be aligned properly but Beneteau refused to do this. I expect we'll be in for another battle when the cutlass bearings wear out.

Great boat, we love it. Appalling after care service from Dealer/Beneteau.
just sent you a PM