ST34 2011 odour issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have two identical Jabsco freshwater toilets, one sprays back when flushing. Jabsco thinks there is a blockage in the hose.

You're the third person to report that problem with a Jabsco Quiet Flush toilet in the last couple of weeks. The first two were posted to sailboatowners.com:

A Hunter owner posted: We have a brand new Jabsco Quiet Flush head. It works fine in all respects with one exception. When pumping out the bowl, there's such a strong whirlpool that the water (etc.) splashes up and out of the bowl onto the floor.

"paul" replied: My experience with the "geyser" on a Quiet Flush has been that a tampon, wipe or liner was flushed and is jammed against the opening to the macerator at the bottom of the bowl. Needle nose pliers or bent coat hangar and rubber gloves should allow you to remove it from the bowl, without disassembly of the macerator. Otherwise, you'll need to remove the macerator to remove any remnants.

To which the Hunter owner replied: Paul, You nailed it! Somebody didn't follow the rules. Was able to extract the offending object with rubber gloves and needle nose pliers just like you suggest. Works like a charm now.

Three toilets, all Jabsco Quiet Flush, with the same problem. So I have a feeling that you just might have the same problem as the first two and if so, that the same solution will fix it.

However neither of them reported an odor problem too, so if the odor is confined to the head compartment, I'd try cleaning the shower sump before doing anything else. Sumps are full of bacteria, hair, soap scum, body oils etc that make them smell like a swamp or even a sewer. K[FONT=&quot]eeping 'em clean is one job that doesn't require any manual labor: Raritan only markets their "C.P. Cleans Potties" as a bowl cleaner--and it is an excellent one. But it's also the best sump and drain cleaner on the planet. C.P. is a bio-enzymatic cleaner that not only destroys odor on contact, but the enzymes in it "eat" hair, soap scum, body oils, galley grease and all the stuff that clogs sumps and drains and makes 'em stinky. All you need to do is put 2-3 oz down the shower drain when it can stand at least overnight...the enzymes need time to work. Then flush clean water through the sump. You can even let it remain in the sump for weeks, 'cuz although the enzymes exhaust themselves in 24 hours, there's nothing in C.P. that can harm anything. To clean sink drains, close the seacock, then put about an ounce of C.P down the drain and fill the drain with water--again when it can stand at least overnight. That's it.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Bleach is a bad idea because it breaks down hose resistance to odor permeation. [/FONT]If you don't use the macerator pump and have no plans to do so, get rid of it and replace that section of hose. Till proven otherwise, I don't think y[FONT=&quot]ou have a blockage, th[FONT=&quot]ough.

[FONT=&quot]Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT] [/FONT]

Thanks, I tried needle nose pliers but there is no way to get them in given the angle. I will try a coat hanger. I wonder if there is an access port to the bottom of the bowl or an easy way to get to the macerator

I've cleaned the grey water sump and lines multiple times. The grey water sump is shared with two sinks and another shower and there is no smells in any of those so I doubt its that. I have a strong feeling (and hope) its just the busted macerator. In any case, thank you for the recommendation of CP as I will purchase and use it for the next cleaning!

Got it! Tampon the prior owner left as a present! Our guest head toilet now flushes without spraying back!

Holding / black water tanks

Several have mentioned Peggy Hall's book. What's the title of the book? We currently have a black water tank that was disconnected due to a leak. The previous owner could not find the leak so he had a LectraSan installed. I love this system, save the fact it continually shows a bad fuse which has been checked time and time again, but the fuses are good.

Thanks for any info you can provide on the name of her book!! :)

Several have mentioned Peggy Hall's book. What's the title of the book? We currently have a black water tank that was disconnected due to a leak. The previous owner could not find the leak so he had a LectraSan installed. I love this system, save the fact it continually shows a bad fuse which has been checked time and time again, but the fuses are good. Thanks for any info you can provide on the name of her book!! :)

Thanks so much for asking! It's called "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors" 'cuz it's the latest revision. The title (my publisher's idea) is a bit misleading though...'cuz although it does deal with all the sources of odor on a boat and how to eliminate and prevent 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual. Available in both print and kindle editions from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/ and a whole bunch of bookstores worldwide. And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

About your LectraSan... There were several versions of it between the time it was introduced in the late 1970s and the introduction of the current version, renamed ElectroScan. So I think your best option is to contact Raritan tech support to first find out which version you have and then what to do about that pesky bad fuse light. 800-352-5630

--Peggie

Will be on Our boat

Thanks so much for asking! It's called "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors" 'cuz it's the latest revision. The title (my publisher's idea) is a bit misleading though...'cuz although it does deal with all the sources of odor on a boat and how to eliminate and prevent 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual. Available in both print and kindle editions from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/ and a whole bunch of bookstores worldwide. And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

About your LectraSan... There were several versions of it between the time it was introduced in the late 1970s and the introduction of the current version, renamed ElectroScan. So I think your best option is to contact Raritan tech support to first find out which version you have and then what to do about that pesky bad fuse light. 800-352-5630

--Peggie

Just bought ours..

Back
Top Bottom