Old 01-07-2019, 03:44 AM   #1

City: Milano
ST44 cockpit bench

Am I the only one that is disappointed with the cockpit (and flybridge..) bench not being waterproofed?

Has anyone faced and solved this? A simple caulking will not be final solution, and probably the best way is to remove the bench, having it totally closed with fiberglass or plywood, and repositioned.

Any other solution?
Roidagobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roidagobert View Post
Am I the only one that is disappointed with the cockpit (and flybridge..) bench not being waterproofed?

Has anyone faced and solved this? A simple caulking will not be final solution, and probably the best way is to remove the bench, having it totally closed with fiberglass or plywood, and repositioned.

Any other solution?
Yes, it is very annoying and on my list of things to work on in Spring.

I store some things under the seating on the fly bridge and what I did was find clear plastic bins that fit and could be sealed shut. I store a lot of stuff under the cockpit seating that I need regular access to so its not an option to keep things in a bin.

I wonder if some simple weather stripping will solve?? I hope that I can find something that is flexible enough and can collapse so a seal is created and the seats sit mostly flush.
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #3

City: Milano
I also use plastic bins with sealeable top, but this is not the best!

Sealing the upper lid should not be a big issue: the problem are bottom and rear panel, that need to be closed totally.

Actually, I'm in the riubber gasket business: if I can find out a shaoe that can seal the upper lid, I will be happy to share it with you and maybe ship you a couple of meters
But he bottom and rear panel are a pain you know where...
Roidagobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:

Sealing the upper lid should not be a big issue: the problem are bottom and rear panel, that need to be closed totally.

Actually, I'm in the riubber gasket business: if I can find out a shaoe that can seal the upper lid, I will be happy to share it with you and maybe ship you a couple of meters
I see what you are saying. I don't know that I would permanently seal because at least on the fly bridge, that is a main drainage pathway... I was actually wondering if ice damage could result in some of these areas when there are freezing temps at snow? I know one ST44 owner that didn't cover his boat but don't know how it turned out. Mine is inside getting worked on now so not worrying at the moment. I think if it were exposed, maybe I'd use shrink tape over the area to block it off.

My main concern with the cockpit seats was everything getting soaked from water coming in from above so the gasket would solve that. I would also get Dri-Dek (or similar - open to suggestions!) to put on the teak under the cockpit seats so water doesn't stay on the teak and it can dry out. I may also put it under the bins in the fly bridge seat storage compartments to allow water to better drain there.

Yes please do keep me posted if you find a shape that works! I wouldn't say no to some free samples.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #5
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Why is there teak under the seats? Is this a French thing?

Has anyone brought this up with Beneteau, the manufacturer?
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Why is there teak under the seats? Is this a French thing?

Has anyone brought this up with Beneteau, the manufacturer?
Most ST44 come with teak in the cockpit. I think I've only seen one ST44 that did not have any teak and it was one of the first built. The cockpit seating is removable. Thus it sits on top of the teak deck when it is in-place.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #7

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Waterproof bins is how we handle this. Huge waterproof storage under the cockpit is good for the bigger stuff.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:48 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:

Was wondering if you have had any luck finding a product/size that works on the cockpit seats?

I just ordered a ton of dri-dek. Plan to put it under the cockpit seats, fly bridge seats, so things can be stored on top and moisture doesnt sit on the teak/floor. I also am going to put some under my new dinghy chocks to keep them from laying directly on the flybridge non-skid. Also debating putting some under the flybridge cushions but dont know if I will still be able to button them down if they are under.

I just need to figure out how to best keep water from entering the storage under the cockpit seats now as every time I open I find everything wet from above.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #9

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
I placed dri-dek under the cushions, not a perfect solution, but certainly helps drain the water.
I am going to investigate a few bins for odds and ends but I try and keep the stored stuff to a minimum.

I have enough crap in my garage!!!
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOJOURN4 View Post
I placed dri-dek under the cushions, not a perfect solution, but certainly helps drain the water.
I am going to investigate a few bins for odds and ends but I try and keep the stored stuff to a minimum.

I have enough crap in my garage!!!
what cushions did you put dri-dek under? i was trying not to go too crazy...
Old 04-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #11

all fly bridge seats.

Thinking about adding to the cockpit also or maybe a cover
Old 04-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
all fly bridge seats.

Thinking about adding to the cockpit also or maybe a cover
any chance you can share a pic of how you positioned and were still able to secure the cushions down? my cushions have snaps on the backs and bottoms so dont think id be able to put it under the fly bridge cushions as i dont know how i'd snap them down??
Old 04-06-2019, 07:32 PM   #13

Mystery -

I just cut the dri dek so that the hatch(s) could open.

Snapped worked fine
Old 04-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Mystery -

I just cut the dri dek so that the hatch(s) could open.

Snapped worked fine
So you covered the entire area and cut along the hatch opening but did you glue it down? If you have a chance to share a pic that would be great. I am to decide what to do before I bring the dry cushions back to the boat and they get soaked... Thank you
Old 04-10-2019, 11:47 AM   #15
Guru

@sojourn4 i got a few dozen dri-dek in today. i am confused how you placed them. they are a bit thicker than i expected. i dont see how i could possibly put them under cushions and still be able to secure the cushion snaps in place.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:25 PM   #16

I'll get you some pics

I have no issue with fastening the snaps
Old 05-30-2019, 01:12 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
I'll get you some pics

I have no issue with fastening the snaps
Hi @Sojourn4

Any luck with pics?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2019, 06:51 PM   #18

I'll get them this weekend
Old 06-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #19
Guru

alright i think i figured it out. i just didnt go too crazy and put dri-dek squares solo spaced out instead of interconnecting them and trying to cover the whole area. i think it will work just as good with the goal to keep the cushions off the gelcoat. in reality, beneteau shouldn't be using the cheap foam that holds water and should be doing a better job with cover position/installation to keep water out but we have what we have to work with...
Old 06-03-2019, 07:04 PM   #20

Mystery -

Not 100% solution - but works. I cut the dri-dek to allow the hatches to open without any PIA issues. Also ran a narrower strip at the rear edge