Old 01-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Montreal
Looking for a 34 or 42 pros/cons

Ok weighing the pros and cons of both boats. I'm going to list the pros and cons feel free to add on.

PROS of the 42
two engines hence security if one goes down
because of two engines , more stability
more room nearly ten feet longer
11inch wider
more sq footage

CONS of the 42
more fuel cost
more insurance
more dockage fees
more repairs two engines
older model mid 2005

PROS of 34
less fuel cost
less insurance
less dockage fees
less repair cost
newer model 2010 and up

CONS of 34
less space then 42
less stabil
one engine -less security

Did I forget something? I have found several models of the 42 and 34 and basically the 42 will cost less for purchase seeing it's older, average year of 2005 while the 34 I found are 2012 and up.

I'm going back and forth on this....

Planning on boating down to Florida with it from upstate NY. Wife and first mate my 13 year old son, my teenage daughter might come along for part of the trip.
Tigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
I don't know what the 34 and 42 cruise at but I specifically picked the 44 because of the 20 knot cruising speed at approximately 25 gph
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I don't know what the 34 and 42 cruise at but I specifically picked the 44 because of the 20 knot cruising speed at approximately 25 gph

yes both cruise at high speeds for a trawler, hence why I want this boat. Just have trouble deciding between a 34 or a 42 ...44 is out my $ range
Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigs View Post
yes both cruise at high speeds for a trawler, hence why I want this boat. Just have trouble deciding between a 34 or a 42 ...44 is out my $ range
I thought the 34 was a bit slower. It might max out at 20 knots which means you would not be cruising at 20 knots. I had a target of 25mph so 20 knots gets me close.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Tigs

I encourage folks to develop a list of Musts & Wants when searching & comparing vs pros & cons. My feeling is all pros & cons are not equal and the suggested approach helps to prioritize.

I also suggest the admiral / first mate (or whatever affectionate terms you use) also do the exercise separately - then compare notes and consolidate... that's where the art of compromise comes in...

Then - Musts should be absolute - if it doesn't meet the reqm't that option gets ruled out

The short list then becomes all options that meet the Musts and you compare how well each satisfies the Wants

It is possible to have an item in both categories - e.g.

Budget - Must - stay below $XXX MAX - Want - lower is better
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Tigs

I encourage folks to develop a list of Musts & Wants when searching & comparing vs pros & cons. My feeling is all pros & cons are not equal and the suggested approach helps to prioritize.

I also suggest the admiral / first mate (or whatever affectionate terms you use) also do the exercise separately - then compare notes and consolidate... that's where the art of compromise comes in...

Then - Musts should be absolute - if it doesn't meet the reqm't that option gets ruled out

The short list then becomes all options that meet the Musts and you compare how well each satisfies the Wants

It is possible to have an item in both categories - e.g.

Budget - Must - stay below $XXX MAX - Want - lower is better
Good words to live by, We are both set on the Beneteau Swift trawler, I think it's a perfect boat for what we want to do and I don't see myself going 5mph. The most important want is to have a "fast" trawler.. Cruising between 13 and 20 mph does the trick for us. I'm just as comfortable at 7 but I like to have that speed for long stretches and getting out of bad weather. Just having difficulty on the model, 34 or 42
Old 01-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigs View Post
Good words to live by, We are both set on the Beneteau Swift trawler, I think it's a perfect boat for what we want to do and I don't see myself going 5mph. The most important want is to have a "fast" trawler.. Cruising between 13 and 20 mph does the trick for us. I'm just as comfortable at 7 but I like to have that speed for long stretches and getting out of bad weather. Just having difficulty on the model, 34 or 42
have you stepped foot on both models to see what they are really like in person?
Old 01-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Quote:
have you stepped foot on both models to see what they are really like in person?
+1, as I would ask the same question.

If you haven't been on the boats, get a buyer's broker, take the family and get a feel for what boat is the most comfortable and might better suit your needs.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
+1, as I would ask the same question.

If you haven't been on the boats, get a buyer's broker, take the family and get a feel for what boat is the most comfortable and might better suit your needs.

Jim
i would skip the buyer's broker. at least for me, no value. in fact, i find it easier to deal with no one in the middle.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Quote:
i would skip the buyer's broker. at least for me, no value. in fact, i find it easier to deal with no one in the middle.
Do you find this to be true when also dealing with a seller's broker, or just a private sale?

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have known the 34 for years now, been on it several times. I have had my eye on her for a long time as for the 42 I have never seen a 42, but I have been on a 44 and also had the pleasure of taking her for a hour ride...fantastic.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. T. I did a very quick search to see IF I've posted this suggestion to you before and I didn't find it BUT if I have, please forgive me.... I suggest you read this thread: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...1-a-14905.html
Read the whole thing a couple of times and get your "Admiral" to read it as well.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. T. I did a very quick search to see IF I've posted this suggestion to you before and I didn't find it BUT if I have, please forgive me.... I suggest you read this thread: http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...1-a-14905.html
Read the whole thing a couple of times and get your "Admiral" to read it as well.
Yes I have already partly read that thread, great help and especially useful info. Makes you see things in a different eye. We are both down with the Beneteau Swift Trawler 34 or 42. I can't find another boat that is comparable to it. My problem is which one should I hunt for the 34 or 42. I have found one 34 and one 42 that would work I'm just not sure which one to pursue. I will read that thread completely might make some things clear for me...thanks
Old 01-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Writing down the pluses and minuses of alternatives is a great way to solve a choice dilemma.
Sounds like you are set on a Beneteau Swift. Even so, I suggest you search the recent TF threads about the brand.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Writing down the pluses and minuses of alternatives is a great way to solve a choice dilemma.
Sounds like you are set on a Beneteau Swift. Even so, I suggest you search the recent TF threads about the brand.
Yup been reading on it. It's informative because I'm more in tune for what to look at, in a used swift... No boat is perfect but for my needs of inter-coastal boating she fits the bill perfectly. I went to the Annapolis trawler fest this past fall, to look for an alternative to the swift and didn't find anything. I'm up for suggestions from members though...
Old 01-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #16

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
TIGS -
My Capt and I owned a 34 ST before buying a 44 ST. Our 34 was a fantastic boat. We ran from Wash DC to NYC on multiple occasions without issues. Longest on board stay was 7 days on the Chesapeake. The 34 is "happiest" at 17 to 20 mph and mostly burns the same fuel as speed. Easy docking with bow/stern thrusters. No issues with 3 to 4, 4 to 5' seas - need to be alert in a following sea - but no real concerns.
We upgraded due to damn grandkids - 44 surely has more room and an extra head.

Good luck
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:02 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
Do you find this to be true when also dealing with a seller's broker, or just a private sale?

Jim
I prefer to do deals with no one in the middle but perhaps attorneys to put together the purchase and sale agreement. Some people prefer representation. They feel it shields them (Which it really doesn't) or they dont have time to do it themselves. I don't see the value with brokers getting 10%. I can do a little work on my own. I also am not a fan of real estate agents..but they only take 5% or less and probably work harder than boat brokers as a whole.