City: Port Charlotte, FL
Looking at a ST52

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	83470

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are going to look at an ST52 this week. Is there anyone here that has experience with this model and is there anything specific to the 52 that I should be on the look out for? The boat of course lwill be in the water until (and if) we choose to make an offer and eventually have her pulled out of the water for survey.

I appreciate any feedback.

BIue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #2

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	83468

Old 12-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
There is (was) one in Sidney BC that looked nearly new. Very low hours on Cummins 8.3s. Great engines. If possible, I'd suggest be careful with the 575 Volvos.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #4

Looking at a ST52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
There is (was) one in Sidney BC that looked nearly new. Very low hours on Cummins 8.3s. Great engines. If possible, I'd suggest be careful with the 575 Volvos.

Sunchaser thanks for your feedback. The 52 we’re looking at does have Volvo 575s, listed at 1340 hours each. Is there something specific with these engines or are they just generally problematic?
Old 12-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIue View Post
Sunchaser thanks for your feedback. The 52 we’re looking at does have Volvo 575s, listed at 1340 hours each. Is there something specific with these engines are they just generally problematic?
Suggest you go to boatdiesel.com and look them (D9s?) up in archives. It is essential that owners do recommended maintenance by the book on these high HP/liter engines.

For sure correct propping to allow rated plus 50-100 RPM should already be in place. This is a heavy planing high RPM vessel and I'd guess has been run at high loads. That is OK, but props must be set up right.

An expensive and necessary servicing is removing, cleaning and testing the after coolers. If not done about every 3-5 years again be careful. Nice boat from what little I know of them. Good luck and keep us posted.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I was thinking about a 52 or 50. I really like having a straight shaft inboard versus pods but seems the newer generation of pods aren't too worrisome. I feel like the engine they put into the 50 is underpowered. They went from 600hp to 435hp. I wish it cruised a few knots faster and had a bit better fuel burn.
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: WAALRE
Vessel Name: Mr. Blu
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 52
Hello BIue,

The mrs and me do own a st 52. It is based in Croatia, Split. We bought the boat from the first owner, an Italian. He used it for five years and then put it for two years in a hangar to sell it. The guy treated it as his baby. We have seen several ST 52 and read some Surveyor reports, so we had a pretty good idea of what we were buying. We are very satisfied with it. It meets all our expectations and more. We had some issues with the Raymarine depth meter/ fishfinder , but we got a new one for a very reasonable price. The boat handles very well. We have three steering stations and a wireless docking system.
It is really a boat for couples. Coming from a 1992 President 358 Sundeck the space is overwhelming. We spend a lot of time on the flybridge. The dinghy is situated on the swim platform, which implies that you have lots of space on the upperdeck.
We have the Volvo 575 engines and they work great. We once had an issue with the starboard electric starter but that was all.
It is a very stabile boat.
We are going to put some solar panels on the steering house roof but that is merely for convenience than that you really need them. The generator and batteries are more than sufficient. If you have any specific questions do not hesitate to ask
We had a major repair on the passarella. An oil leak due to a collision that the previous owner did not mention. They renewed the main cilinder and now it doesnot leak any more.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A few pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5392485_0_230920151546_7.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	83559   Click image for larger version

Name:	5392485_0_230920151545_3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	83560  
Old 12-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #9
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Very nice!
mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

We changed the Italian flag to the Dutch one. That was really the hardest part of the buy. Italy is renowned for its bureaucracy.