How long for Barrier Coat/Bottom Paint on New Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nhislander

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
No Regrets
Vessel Make
Swift Trawler 44
Does anyone have a sense for how long it should take for a dealer/boat-yard to prep a NEW boat for first-time bottom paint (I guess you need to sand the new gel-coat) and apply a barrier coat and then apply the bottom paint for the first time? Is is reasonable for this to take a 10 or more days?

Unless your boat is inside, weather is always a factor, and I seem to recall there is a dry time for each coat.
10 days maybe a max time depending on how many coats are applied. We did two coats and I think it was over a five day period.

With a new boat especially make sure they do a good job of dewaxing the hull FIRST. It needs to be done before any sanding to get all the mold release wax off the hull so the paint will stick. If they start sanding first the heat from the sanding can drive the wax into the gel coat. First a wipe down with a dewaxer using the 2 rag method, one rag with solvent the second rag wipe immediately after to pick up the wax while it is in suspension in the solvent. Changing the second rag very often. Then sanding the hull to provide tooth for the barrier paint. Then the specified, per the paint manufacturer, number of coats of the barrier paint and finally the number of coats of bottom paint. The timing of all those coats of paint is critical, the paint from the last coat needs to be thumb print dry but not too dry for the next coat to chemically bond. Too dry and you have to sand and then wipe with solvent before the next coat. Thumb print dry means that if you use your thumb on the drying paint it will leave a print but paint does not transfer to your thumb. It depends on the weather, temp and humidity how long between coats. Do not let them short you on coats of the barrier paint. Make sure they use the recommended amount of paint the manufacturer specifies for your size boat. Boatyards will say a couple of coats is sufficient but probably not true. Ask the manufacturer of the paint. Last boat I did a barrier paint I did 6 coats of Interprotect and then 2 coats of bottom paint with a 3rd coat at the waterline. It took me about 4.5 days to do all the coats because some days I could do a coat early in the day and a second coat late in the same day.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a sense for how long it should take for a dealer/boat-yard to prep a NEW boat for first-time bottom paint (I guess you need to sand the new gel-coat) and apply a barrier coat and then apply the bottom paint for the first time? Is is reasonable for this to take a 10 or more days?

depends on the yard's availability, weather, and application instructions of the bottom paint that will be used

could be as quick as 1-2 days and longer depending on the aforementioned variables.

Many newer boats have a vinylester bottom (last couple layers) so a barrier coat is good but not necessary....at least by some experts.

There is a no prep primer some dealers use that I believe chemically prepares with no sanding. It's silver in color and really has a strong smell.

The reason they use it is to save gobs of man hour time.

I have painted my own bottoms for over 45 years now and never had a failure. When I worked at a dealership they cranked them out, painting in all kinds of weather when they shouldn't have and had many paint failures...so rushing a yard if conditions are wrong...is a big mistake.

Last edited:
It typically takes two months or so for routine boatyard maintenance for me. Steel-boat rust abatement and awaiting replacement parts are the usual needs for the time. (Besides, the yard is always busy.) Maybe I'll get my boat back from the boat yard sometime this month.

Attachments

• IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 47
Many paints want a 60 degree temp to cure. Lower temps will take longer to cure. More time for each coat.

I had my bottom soda blasted. (36 foot Albin) It took a long day. I understand that some new boat manufacturers are doing this to give better "Tooth" for the barrier coat.

Barrier coat dries in a very few minutes, applying takes a fairly short time but several coats.

Ablative coat also dries quickly and requires several coats.

10 days sounds reasonable.

pete

Back
Top Bottom