Old 12-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
ST44 Bilge question

On the ST44, can someone tell me whether or not water that enters the bow or lazarette will quickly migrate to the center of the bilge in the engine room? The factory design has just one main bilge pump in the engine room, so thinking the design assumes water flows freely from the bow and lazarette to that area.

Trying to figure out whether I need high water alarms in the bow and lazarette, or if one high water alarm in the engine room is all that is really needed.

I'm not on the boat now otherwise I'd check.

Thanks!
Mike
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
ST 44 has has a separate "deck" above the hull structure that should (?) allow water to pass to the bilge.

Both areas, and the engine room have drain holes to the hull area which drains to the bilge.

I am thinking about installing 2 wireless bilge alarms. 1 in the lazarette 1 in the HW heater space
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Hanks Dream
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler44
Water cannot move aft from either the bow area where the a.c. is or bottom of stairs where hot water is on my boat. Doesn't make sense.
Ole Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Hank View Post
Water cannot move aft from either the bow area where the a.c. is or bottom of stairs where hot water is on my boat. Doesn't make sense.
The boat yard said there are holes drilled so water can flow (albeit slowly) from one compartment to the other. They had a name for them, but I forgot what it was.

By the way, I ended up taking the simple upgrade route and added a 2,000 gph Gold rule pump with a new outlet. This serves as a higher capacity backup to the existing 650 gph pump.

It's still gonna sink if I put a big enough hole in it (hence the prior purchase of the liferaft), but if a through hull goes or something, I should be okay.

The yard also installed the smoke and fire alarms and associated panels as well. When I get back to the boat, I will put up some photos.
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
The boat yard said there are holes drilled so water can flow (albeit slowly) from one compartment to the other. They had a name for them, but I forgot what it was.

By the way, I ended up taking the simple upgrade route and added a 2,000 gph Gold rule pump with a new outlet. This serves as a higher capacity backup to the existing 650 gph pump.

It's still gonna sink if I put a big enough hole in it (hence the prior purchase of the liferaft), but if a through hull goes or something, I should be okay.

The yard also installed the smoke and fire alarms and associated panels as well. When I get back to the boat, I will put up some photos.
Please let us know what alarms and panels you went with! Anything in the engine rooms? CO as well? Thank you!
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote