Old 05-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #1

City: Bainbridge Island
Dinghy size/model for the ST 44?

We’re buying a Swift Trawler 44 for cruising the Pacific NW. Anyone have suggestions re: the size and model of a dinghy that will fit on the rear fly bridge. The space is actually fairly narrow. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

saraml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraml View Post
We’re buying a Swift Trawler 44 for cruising the Pacific NW. Anyone have suggestions re: the size and model of a dinghy that will fit on the rear fly bridge. The space is actually fairly narrow. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
There are two main limitations: hoist load capacity, fly bridge space.

I spent a ton of time researching as I wanted to have a dinghy with console, steering wheel, etc, and once I added in batteries, fuel, etc to the dinghy and engine weight, I was over capacity. Another consideration is more weight higher up can equate to more rocking and rolling in less than calm seas. I did see one or two that installed a hydraulic crane with higher capacity. That was a big expense/project and I was concerned about adding more weight high up, so I have given up the idea for now.

I have had an ultra lightweight aluminum (UL) dinghy from AB. I was contemplating switching to their regular aluminum (AL) series as I wanted a flat floor and higher HP. I haven't made the switch yet but that is probably the route that I would go.

I actually kept the UL dinghy on its side on the fly bridge, tied down with rope and motor removed and stored on cockpit floor. I am now looking to keep the motor attached to the dinghy and keep everything on the fly bridge. I bought/made some softchocks. Now its only a matter of figuring out how to securely install tie-down points on the fly bridge to secure the dinghy to the fly bridge deck. If anyone has any tips/pictures specific to the ST44 on this that would be great! I dont think there is any access to through bolt to the fly bridge deck and I dont know how thick it is...

mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:17 AM   #3

City: Auckland
Easy, a nice sailing dinghy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6466-001.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	88852  
KiwiClive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags