Old 02-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #1

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Florence
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST 42
Chine Slap noise ST42

We love our vessel very dearly and spend a great deal of time aboard cruising around the North East coastline of New Zealand from our home base in Auckland.
When anchoring overnight we do go to some trouble to tuck well in to the weather shore if there is any breeze. We find that even a small chop generates what we call the Arrival of the Slappers. Sadly these are not fast young ladies but slapping noises from the chines. These are amplified by the hull acting as a sounding box and can result in a disturbed night's sleep.
I believe that this is a common problem on semi-displacement vessels and have observed some Mickey Mouse attempts to overcome this by attaching floating Noodles and other objects when at anchor.
I am looking for a more professional solution such as a partial infill along the chines. I understand that the main function of the chines is to deflect spray rather than to have a hydro-dynamic effect.
Any comments or advice from other owners would be most welcome.
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Common problem. My little 38 has spray rails on the chine and a little chop rings it like a bell. If you have aft cabin (I do not) that will be better for sleeping. At times I have put a "monkey line" on an aft cleat and noosed the anchor line. Pulled it a$$ end to the chop. It works.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #3
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
With hulls designed to move through water by ME's it is usually not their concern as to slap noise while at anchor.

That said... there was a manufacturing hull design alteration accomplished for some Tollycraft models' chines in the early 1990's (I don't recall the trade mark name of it) The change was meant to improve stability while boat was moving as well as being expected to reduce fuel usage by limiting hull-surface contact at planing speeds. Well... evidently that did create quite the hull slap while at anchor; Tollycraft soon stopped producing that hull design. From what I saw on another forum, some Tolly owners filled in the chine areas and that stopped the at-anchor slapping noise. None that I recall mentioned any reduction in hull performance.

Side note: Back when... Dad purchased an early 1960's wooden, "lap-strake" 32' Johnson Brothers planing hull boat. Our family only used that boat for one full season in NY. Why - slap noise at night was a b-i-t-c-h! LOL Reminded us all of a washboard with hand turned over having fingernails being strummed up and down... all night long, in any ripple or waves at all!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I've grown to like that sound and it puts me right to sleep. Unless it's a heavy slap and real loud.

A few years ago I saw a Marlow Explorer in a boat yard that was having the chines ground off and filled in, just to reduce the chine slap. The guy in the yard said they do that to a few boats a year and the people who have had it done seemed to be happy with the results.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
My thoughts are similar to GFC. We enjoyed the chine slap but saw several boats over the years getting the chines filled. Easy money for even a newbie fiberglass person.

Get a couple estimates and fill them in at your next haul out.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Common problem. My little 38 has spray rails on the chine and a little chop rings it like a bell. If you have aft cabin (I do not) that will be better for sleeping. At times I have put a "monkey line" on an aft cleat and noosed the anchor line. Pulled it a$$ end to the chop. It works.
This works it is also used more often to keep a boat from rolling where the wind and wave angles are different enough to cause waves to broad side a boat. Adjustment of a mid or aft cleats line to the anchor line forward of the boat can bring and keep the bow into the waves were now you only have to deal with bow slap. That's why I carry good ear plugs.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I've seen a prior post by TFer that did a fill and posted pics...try some searches.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #8

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Florence
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST 42
Thanks to all for your comments. I think that short term a couple of rums before turning in and ear plugs may help. Longer term I will research fitting some form of filler and will post the results once completed. Happy Cruising to you all.
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #9
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Ear plugs work. And have the added benefit of blocking the noise from bozo who decides to run his generator all night in an otherwise quiet peaceful anchorage. Not too mention the 24 footer with 12 people, 6 cases, and 4 speakers, but they usually leave once everyone falls in and after the wet T shirt contest ends around 10PM.

I buy the magnum jar of 33NRR ear plugs. no slap. no howling wind. no drama.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Thanks to all for your comments. I think that short term a couple of rums before turning in and ear plugs may help. Longer term I will research fitting some form of filler and will post the results once completed. Happy Cruising to you all.
Not sure if this approach would be possible in a near new boat, but when I relined our front cabin because the teak veneer had got water damaged under previous owners, I took the chance and packed fibreglass insulation batts behind it all. This reduced the wave slap to a very low level, with other temperature insulation and condensation prevention benefits as well. Would it be possible to get access behind the cabin lining enough to push batts in, or maybe use that expanding foam type of filler, which spreads a long way from quite small entry points..?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #11
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
Ear plugs work. And have the added benefit of blocking the noise from bozo who decides to run his generator all night in an otherwise quiet peaceful anchorage. Not too mention the 24 footer with 12 people, 6 cases, and 4 speakers, but they usually leave once everyone falls in and after the wet T shirt contest ends around 10PM.

I buy the magnum jar of 33NRR ear plugs. no slap. no howling wind. no drama.
Also, Little to no chance to hear distressful items that may happen over night. When aboard, I always sleep with eyes, ears, nose tuned-in for the what ifs. I usually rise at least twice during night to simply go into salon for brief look/listen/smell... then back to bed. Some call me parodied. For me, I call it feeling very comfortable while remaining carefully safe! When I am Captain, "The Buck" stops at me!!
Old 02-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Art, those two trips to the head every night have nothing to do with boat safety.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:42 PM   #13
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Art, those two trips to the head every night have nothing to do with boat safety.
Ta heck with the head... It's over the rail at 2 AM... that way, can really see and hear what's happening!! LOL

Don't arrest me!!
Old 02-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Florence, have you approached Beneteau about this? They may have a solution, Doubt yours is the first complaint.
It may relate to hull thickness as much as design. Some boats transmit, some don`t. My previous boat did to a degree, this one does not, hull is 1" solid f/g. A neighbour with a Dyna 45 can`t sleep in the fwd cabin for "the slap".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:18 AM   #15
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Chine Slap noise ST42

Our new boat has a very loud chine slap too. Honestly, there is really little to nothing that can be done about it. We were so scared it was going to force us to reconsider this boat. However, after a few weeks/months, we have gotten used to it. Like bad music piped in at the mall, we just don't hear it anymore. Not much anyway. There ARE those nights when the wind really chops up the marina, but even then, we still find ourselves able to get as good of a night's sleep that you can get on a boat.

I used to have the pictures of the guy who filled in his chines. I don't know if I still do, but I will try and find them later this week.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #16
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Also, Little to no chance to hear distressful items that may happen over night. When aboard, I always sleep with eyes, ears, nose tuned-in for the what ifs. I usually rise at least twice during night to simply go into salon for brief look/listen/smell... then back to bed. Some call me parodied. For me, I call it feeling very comfortable while remaining carefully safe! When I am Captain, "The Buck" stops at me!!
Finally I have a legitimate excuse to justify those middle of the night trips. Thank you Art.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #17
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
So I DO still have the pics of the guy who filled in his chimes on his Nortic Tug, but it is in a PowerPoint prezo. So I will need to export it to individual frames. Give me a few days.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:47 PM   #18
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I spent a couple of months last summer aboard my new-to-me old Mainship 34. The first few nights I wondered how I would be able to sleep. By the end of the summer I just took it to be normal. Kind of like halliards rattling in my old sailing days. I came to love that sound.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:59 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
I spent a couple of months last summer aboard my new-to-me old Mainship 34. The first few nights I wondered how I would be able to sleep. By the end of the summer I just took it to be normal. Kind of like halliards rattling in my old sailing days. I came to love that sound.
Yes, that happens all right. I have now got so used to the small residual slap we get since I added the insulation referred to in post #10 above, I tend to wake up with absolute silence now.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #20
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Yes, that happens all right. I have now got so used to the small residual slap we get since I added the insulation referred to in post #10 above, I tend to wake up with absolute silence now.
Right. I would never be able to sleep with earplugs. Would much rather be tuned into the normal sounds, which with time and experience allow monitoring of the conditions from under the blankets :-)
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote