Bug Screens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dallas2153

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bella
Vessel Make
Beneteau ST-44
I have moved my ST44 up to the California Delta for the Summer it looks like I am going to need some screens for my Portlights and the three sliding windows. Has anyone found a solution for that?

Screens for Windows and Port Holes

Hi neighbor (the Hatteras in Q-14). I clicked on the Beneteau section because I was so impressed with your boat that I wanted to learn more and saw your post. We had, a number of years ago, some heavy fabric screens made to cover our sliding windows, door entrances, and two large port lights in our master cabin. The widows and port light screens are held in place by common snaps, the port lights and door screens on the interior and the sliding windows on the exterior.

They work great and not only keep out the bugs but help filter the sunlight. Check them out next time you are out at the boat. Try West Coast Canvas at Tower Park Marina for a close by source.

Oceanaire screens

Our 2005 Swift 42 has Oceanaire rolling screens on the side doors and aft slider-actually roll right to left. I bet that Beneteau has these for the 44 at some $$

Bob nordstrom

Hey Dallas! Maybe we'll cross wakes this summer. I'm heading to the Secret Cove for a few days each side of July 4th. Will probably meet Steve Cary there in his 48 Hatt, Cary'd Away. If you're near Tower Park marina, let me know. Fortunately, Secret Cove is usually bug-free.

Can't help with screen ideas but mine came with useless snap in screens that let bugs in thru the gaps. I only encounter a problem in the evenings after the sunset. The little guys are attracted to my interior lights. I learned to close blinds or turn the lights to red or OFF. If the bugs can't see the light source, they don't seem to concentrate much.

My boat's configured so the 3 doors can remain open with the cordless pleated blinds pulled down. This conceals the lights from the view of 90% of the bugs. I've been known to break out the shop vac before bed to suck up the trespassers.

PM me if you'd like to join up with us.

Thanks Bob, our ST44 also has the screens for the helm door and rear door. just looking for a solution to the round portholes. temp solution I came up with was to make a hoop out of 3/8" plastic tubing. laid screen inside across the opening, put the hoop on top of the screen then used the levers to secure all in place. not pretty but it works.

Thanks Al, I will be getting in touch with you. I downloaded all of your details from your week long trip last year and studied it. We won't be up for long this weekend but I sure do hope to meet you soon.
Dallas

We're at Willow Berm. Q-9. Going up in the am to meet up with a buddy who is at Riverboat then go out and play in the water. Not sure where the wife will have me pointed this time.

Thanks Bob, our ST44 also has the screens for the helm door and rear door. just looking for a solution to the round portholes. temp solution I came up with was to make a hoop out of 3/8" plastic tubing. laid screen inside across the opening, put the hoop on top of the screen then used the levers to secure all in place. not pretty but it works.

pics?

This is what I came up as a temp solution. 3/8" od plastic tube and 1/4" od tube as a connection. IMG_0129.JPGIMG_0130.JPG. It keeps the bugs out...

Our 2005 Swift 42 has Oceanaire rolling screens on the side doors and aft slider-actually roll right to left. I bet that Beneteau has these for the 44 at some $$

Bob nordstrom
Hello,

I have a 2006 Swift 42 and have been looking for screens for the side & rear doors. My boat has screws and what looks like the remains of old mounts but no screens.

If you would, could you send me a photo of your side door and slider screen installation?

I've checked on Beneteau parts and I don't see the screens listed as an option.

Cheers,

Tom Lahey

Oceanair Marine 802-367-1316 made the original side door and aft slider rollup(sideways) screens.
They were not able to repair mine but may sell them.
I suggest you talk to local RV shops to get standard rollup that they put on many models
Bob

This is what I came up as a temp solution. 3/8" od plastic tube and 1/4" od tube as a connection. View attachment 66848View attachment 66849. It keeps the bugs out...

Thanks! (and sorry for the delay in thanking!) I am about to try to build these for 6 of the port holes... Did you end up gluing or attach the screen to the tubing in any way? I am wondering if hot glue might work.

Last edited:
No, I didn't make anything permanent. I opened the hatch then put the latches in the closed position. Make the hoops so that they fit under the hinge and the latches. Then I cut the screen as a circle a few inches larger diameter than the hoops. i position the screen then place the hoop and all is good.

No, I didn't make anything permanent. I opened the hatch then put the latches in the closed position. Make the hoops so that they fit under the hinge and the latches. Then I cut the screen as a circle a few inches larger diameter than the hoops. i position the screen then place the hoop and all is good.

Thanks. Do you know what type/brand of tubing you used? From home depot?

It is just 3/8" (outside diameter) plastic tubing that you can pick up at any hardware store. Then get a couple feet of 1/4" plastic tube to use to attach the ends of the larger tube together. just cut some 6" pieces of the 1/4" and slip 3" into each end to for a hoop.

It is just 3/8" (outside diameter) plastic tubing that you can pick up at any hardware store. Then get a couple feet of 1/4" plastic tube to use to attach the ends of the larger tube together. just cut some 6" pieces of the 1/4" and slip 3" into each end to for a hoop.

thanks, i found it and made the bug screens. works well! we were trying to figure out a way to glue but said screw it. excited we can finally keep the port holes open for some air flow but with the near 100 degree temps predicted we may be running the genset for AC... also picked up a couple fans that i clipped to the top of the closets in the master cabin for when we are not on generator/ using AC.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom