Old 10-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus250 View Post
The 43'9 is the part of the hull that touch the water. real length is 49'2

Not that this takes away from your boat but...

Per the specification:

Overall Length = 49'2" (this generally means anchor pulpit to swim step)
Hull Length = 43' 9" (this generally means the length of the hull as it comes from the mold)

Generally the length you refered to in your post "the part of the hull that touch the water" is called the water line length, and will be somewhat less than the hull length.

Those are generally the way things are measured on boats.

Marketing is a whole different thing, as I posted above.

also, referencing Bakers post, I think he has the right idea.
Take two boats. One has a molded in swim step, and a molded in anchor pulpit, say 40' length.

The other has a bolted on swim step, and a bolted on anchor pulpit, say 36' hull, but with the swim step and anchor pulpit installed 40'.

The molded in manufacturer markets their boat as 40'. Should the manufacturer that bolts their swim step and anchor pulpit market their boat at 36' or 40'?

This difference in manufacturing process appears to give the advantage to the molded in manufacturer. I can see why the bolt on manufacturer would market based on OAL.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Published LWL: 40'2"; Hull length 43' 9", LOA 49' 2"
from the beneteau site:Swift Trawler 50 / Swift Trawler / Motorboats - BENETEAU

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #23

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Footloose
Vessel Model: Mainship 2004 34Trawler
Beneteau swift Trawler 50 review

We were on the Swift 50 on Saturday and were extremely impressed. The Euro style of the vessel is sleek and very functional. Beneteau has it dialed in with their engineering and quality control of a large number of boats that are manufactured annually !!!!
bluewater1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #24
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Published LWL: 40'2"; Hull length 43' 9", LOA 49' 2"
from the beneteau site:Swift Trawler 50 / Swift Trawler / Motorboats - BENETEAU
Absolutely beautiful
Old 11-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #25

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
There is length at the waterline....LWL
There is length overall.....LOA
There is length on deck....LOD

Usually LOD is what determines the marketing brochure length. But as someone has stated, that is changing. In some/most cases, I do not believe it to be disingenuous on the manufacturer's part. I just think many models have molded the swimstep into the hull which could be considered part of the deck and therefore factored into the LOD.
Of course, which one you use depends on whether you are paying moorage by the foot, in which case it's LFM
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #26

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Congratulations! She's a beauty!

We're 150 hours into her little sister. Love her!

A few notes:

God forbid that you should ever need them, but, verify that the pins are removed from your fixed engine room fire extinguishers. Ours were not.

Our floor is a bit squeaky.

Tighten down nearly all of the screws. Some poor French worker must have been fired for stripping out screws, 'cause most of ours were loose.

Confirm that the manual bilge pump is working properly. Ours was not.

Please keep in touch!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:00 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Your tip about the extinguisher pins was gold. Mine hadnt been pulled. Thanks!!

Sunset Grille 2016- Swift 34
Joebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #28

City: Thunder Bay
Vessel Name: Whitecaps
Vessel Model: Beneteau st 50
Hi
My pins on my 2015 st50 also hadn't been pulled. AlsoI had to wire the suppression system monitors to the main helm and flybridge.

There also were no carbon monoxide detectors on board! So I installed one in the galley and another in the bunk room cabin.
Nottyrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
There is length at the waterline....LWL
There is length overall.....LOA
There is length on deck....LOD

Usually LOD is what determines the marketing brochure length. But as someone has stated, that is changing. In some/most cases, I do not believe it to be disingenuous on the manufacturer's part. I just think many models have molded the swimstep into the hull which could be considered part of the deck and therefore factored into the LOD.
There is so much game playing on model designations, one has to be careful comparing. Go to the actual dimensions as Baker shows. Often instead of LOD, they'll show LOA without platform and pulpit and with.

Beneteau is probably the most guilty of using model numbers that make the boat seem bigger than it is, and they're worse about it on the Swift Trawler than on other models.

I have to laugh with us having purchased a Sunseeker Manhattan 65. It's the same hull and boat as the Manhattan 63 except it has galley up and the 63 has it down. They just needed to give it a model number and they like odd numbers. LOA is 69'1", but that's with a huge swim platform plus a bow pulpit.

It really makes it confusing at shows when you get on a model 34 right after a 320 and it seems smaller. Probably because it is.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #30

City: Bournemouth
How have you made out with you ST 50? I am considering one.
Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

For my two cents worth, I have a Beneteau ST 34 and I love it. Such a great boat to run and to stay on. I stay 5 months in the winter on it in Ft. Myers. Sunset Grille is the name on her. I spent 3 days helping out with the boat show, my job, helping with a ST30, ST44, and ST50 for Viage Group in Sarasota (wonderful people, I have really been well supported by them; they let me help because it was on my bucket list to work with boats at a boat show). The ST50 is like a house on the water. While the waterline doesn't reflect a 50' boat the beam and height of the boat make it a huge boat inside. I wish I had one!!
Old 09-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebad View Post
For my two cents worth, I have a Beneteau ST 34 and I love it. Such a great boat to run and to stay on. I stay 5 months in the winter on it in Ft. Myers. Sunset Grille is the name on her. I spent 3 days helping out with the boat show, my job, helping with a ST30, ST44, and ST50 for Viage Group in Sarasota (wonderful people, I have really been well supported by them; they let me help because it was on my bucket list to work with boats at a boat show). The ST50 is like a house on the water. While the waterline doesn't reflect a 50' boat the beam and height of the boat make it a huge boat inside. I wish I had one!!
It's not the waterline that doesn't reflect a 50' boat, it's the hull length. The hull length is 43' 9".

Now, one thing I'll say is that most people buying ST's seem to have made very good choices for themselves and are extremely pleased in how the boats meet their needs. I think Beneteau saw a definite void in the market in the size and type boat they're building and they created a nice boat to fill it. I am thrilled also they built a 30' as we see the demand for that length here. I expect them to expand larger than 50' but hope it doesn't impact their efforts on smaller boats.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Absolutely. I was very impressed with the 30, particularly the size of the shower and the salon. Amazing for that size boat. And it really scoots, 23 or 24 kts. My 34 max speed is 21 kts and I run to Key West from Ft. Myers at 18 kts. I have 400 hours on mine and I really love the speed. 90% of my running is at 6 kts at 3.8 lph (I actually set my speed for the fuel consumption, 3.8 lph, or 1 gph, and I go about 7 miles on that per hour, which is very economical for a boat this comfortable. I have videos of her at full speed, and slow speed, and in 6-9' seas (that we got caught in between the Tortugas and Key West in the Florida Straits, a really wrong weather report led us to that with 31 kt winds, was supposed to be 12 kt winds). But as you would expect, no problems and not a drop of water in the bilge! Beneteau is a Lot of value for the money. Great instrumentation both below and on the bridge too!
Old 05-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #34

City: Southern California
CONGRATS on the New Swift 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus250 View Post
Hi everyone!!! i just bought a Beneteau swift trawler 50 and i would like to have your comments on this boat. The delivery is in may.
Congrats on your great new toy !!!!! I go back to college when my dad had a Hatteras 43 and our friends had a Burger 76. They traveled the Panama Canal to Costa Rica and then on up to So Cal. Good times!

I've been lucky to know the guys at South Coast Yachts. I've settled on a 50 myself after a lot of research. I've been on a number of Beneteaus' over the last several years - seen the quality, the lack of it, how the product ages, met lots of owners, competitors etc.

I have a background in the RV industry. They say if you can't use a screw driver - you have no business owning an RV. The systems in a boat are very similar as are the shared components in many cases. I don't care if you have a SeaRay, Azimut,
Cruisers etc. Things break on all boats. Expect it. What does matter is the main structure - without it you have nothing.

I discovered Beneteau products to have exceptional QC, production techniques and CONSISTENCY from boat to boat. That's a lot. What makes me feel better and willing to drop a mil+ is the dealer network and the culture of family. I don't think you'll ever feel on your own when it comes to support.

Lastly - here's a link to a wonderful article I think you will really enjoy. Great delivery article. And I've met the guy who captain'd this. He's beyond competent - totally wonderful and crazy guy. I'd hire him any time.

Captain’s Review – Beneteau Swift Trawler 44 - South Coast Yachts
San Diego Captains

Congrats again,
Mark

markajh is offline   Reply With Quote