Old 03-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Emily B
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44'
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

After scanning through some of the opinions regarding Beneteau's Swift Trawlers I wanted to "weigh in" with our experience after owning a 44' for almost a year. Boating both in the SF bay as well as coastal offshore. We LOVE her! I was a sailor for 25+ years before making a jump to Trawlers. There are some opinions here about the seaworthiness and stability. I can say after a number of 35 Knot winds opposing 5-7 knot ebb tides in the "slot" Several coastal adventures including a recent trip which included an "uphill" run from Santa Cruz in a 9' swell, she handles beautifully. She is so stable that my wife who is new to boating (and said originally she wouldn't go out the Golden Gate for 2 years) is now an advocate of "going out" and often is at the helm coming back through the Main ship channel, often with 6-8 foot following seas. The interior is well done, the Galley roomy, and after 400 hours we haven't seen any structural issues which has included a number of "bay beatings". The twin Volvo 300HP Penta's perform flawlessly with great economy in the 8-10 knot range and if you want to "get there fast" they can get her up to 22-24 knots (conditions permitting) We have retro-fitted several small issues like adding grab rails on the fly-bridge, upgrading the anchor to a 65' Manson. Overall an excellent experience.
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #3

Thank you Sir, Nice profile pic! i am assuming that is a Cohiba in your mouth ......
Old 03-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #4

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
Swift Trawler 34

My Captain and I have a ST 34 and think the same x 10.

Good Luck
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Howdy!

Old 03-02-2014, 01:00 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Welcome, CeeBee. I'd love to see your boat up close and personal sometime. I've heard great things about the Swift 44 and 34, but have never seen either in person. Several of us guys frequent your waters and post about it in our SF Bay and California Delta Cruisers Social Group. Despite what some might say, we're really a rather friendly and respectable group. Feel free to join us there for our regular bay jaunts.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #7

Hey FlyWrite She's awesome we're out most every weekend and then there are always WFB (work from boat) days ........ thanks for the heads up on the local forum I just joined it. The universe is in sync we are planning for our first Delta adventure in a couple of months down to Catalina later in the summer. We keep her in Alameda. See you on the water!
Attached Thumbnails
image-282015932.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #8

Markpierce right back at ya
Attached Thumbnails
image-922008889.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Hi, Chris.

Forgot to mention that post #5 pictures FlyWright and Carquinez Coot on their way to make a very short trip beyond the bridge on our way from Clipper Cove to Sausalito. Taken from Mahalo Moi on one of our occasional joint outings.

By the way, love Emily B's dark hull.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #10

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Swift Trawler 44

We are brand new to this forum and it's nice to be here!
We bought our Swift 44 new in November of 2012- our first boat!

We have logged about 150 hours in the Chesapeake Bay area and really love her.

Greatly looking forward to interaction and info exchange with other "boat people", especially those with Swift Trawlers.

We've been working out some kinks and have narrowed them down to:

1) Engines seem to be using oil. No excess smoke or oil in the breather filter. No obvious leaks. It's been normal for me to add a 1/2 quart or so every 20 hours. Volvo is "on the case" with no answers so far. The replaced our flat dip sticks with a round model.

2) Finding some water/diesel residual in the bilge. Thinking the diesel is from possible spills (?) during change out of fuel filters. The water may be residual from a small fresh water leak which was repaired. Maybe these liquids leach aft during use. bilge stays dry when at rest. Usually find 6-8 oz. after cruise.

3) Black water tank gauge not working properly.

She's been on the hard since November so we're really looking forward to our launch on April 2.

We appreciate any and all comments. Thank You!
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
There's two of the ST44's in my area. I've gotten a bit involved in one, and generally like the boat. Good mix of trawler speed running with capability to run 20kts.

Regarding oil use: Diesels often use a little oil. Some use zero, some a little more. I would not fuss over 1/2qt in 20hrs. Just don't let it get too low. One thing to try is quit topping it up from the half way mark. Some engines like to eat any oil above half full, let it stay at half and engine quits eating it. Cheap to try.

Another thing was there was no bilge pump in lazarette. We got the dealer to add one before taking delivery.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #12

St 44

Ski,
Thank you for the oil suggestion. Yes, tried that but when the level drops off the sticks it's a bit disconcerting! I'll try to keep it below the mid-way point.

Never a drop of water in the lazzerette, as yet. Did they tie in the new pump discharge to an existing way out or did they drill a new one? Do you think Beneteau would authorize an install for a boat owned for 15 months? Sounds like a great idea.

Our dealer added an additional piece to the top of the main saloon door track, so that the door could be dead bolted fully closed and/or 3" open. They learned that if the (cheap & weak) keyed door latch gets smashed in heavy seas you can still keep the door closed! Way better security too, if you're sleeping onboard.

Also, be sure the fixed fire extinguishers in the engine room have their pins removed! Ours were not. I found it out from a tip at Trawlerfest.

Thirsty for advice! Thanks!
Old 06-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #13

Hey RClarke I asked Bay Marine here about your oil question and they mentioned there was a Volvo service advisory issued about NOT to overfill the oil as the engines will then start burning more. So lesson was watch the oil level carefully when changing and make sure to not overfill. Don't have any issue with the black water gauge but did have to have a new switch jury rigged for the gray water because the factory switch was whack. We also retrofitted several handholds for the fly bridge as there was nothing to hold on to between the fly bridge seats and the gangway (other than the mast rumor has it Beneteau may start installing them in the newer models. Hope all is well she should be in the water by now hope you're enjoying the summer.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:47 AM   #14

CeeBee,
Thanks for the info. Oil level seems to be stabilizing though we never heard about that advisory.

What are the details of the mast rumor?

Btw, we heard that there may be a factory (free) upgrade to the fly console which can become sticky and hard to clean. Do you know anything about that?

Seems like the trim tab position offers best fuel economy at bow down but of no consequence under 2000 RPMs. Where do you position them?

Also, have you verified that you manual bilge pump is working? Are the pins removed from your fire extinguishers in the engine room?

She originally had 2/30 amp leads but was converted to 1/50. The 4 a/c units don't trip in this new configuration.

We're up to 175 hours and really like the boat.

Keep in touch. Feel free to call me at 410-599-3676.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #15

Hey RClarke I think the Volvo notification was only sent to dealers. I honestly haven't tried the manual pump but will give it a go this weekend. Because we boat in the SF Bay (often with 30 knot wind opposing 5 knot ebbs) and offshore where you can get a "fun" washing machine effect going out and 6-9 foot swells offshore I don't have a lot of experience using the trim tabs as she likes to take the heading seas/chop and following seas bow up. I'll shoot a pic of the retrofit we did with handholds on the fly bridge. challenge was there were no handholds between the seats and stairs so we installed 3 so you can hold on in a seaway. I "heard" beneteau might add those to their new production. Thanks for your digits let's catch up some time I LOVE the Chesapeake used to bareboat (in my sailing days) out of Rock Hall.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:04 AM   #16
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Any 44s in SoCal? My wife and I have a 44gt. Purchased it from Scy a couple years ago. We previously had a sea ray. For a lighter boat, I have also been happy with her, and she has handled well offshore. I am sure the trawler version is better as far as the ride. We made quite a few mods, including dual primary racors, new reefer, and some other things.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #17

I try to keep up with the Swift line, but do not see many resales, and when I do I'm kind of shocked by the (high) prices.

Good Luck & Please keep in touch!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Northville NY
I just started looking into the 44 and you are right not many around for resale. I would really like to hear about some offshore cruising. In particular how you owners would feel about a crossing from fl to the Bahamas etc
adk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #19
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
There are a few in my area, and I have been on one, but I don't know anyone personally so I cant give you specifics. I have the 44GT, and we like it. We did a 250 mile trip last summer and she ran well. I would tell you to check out the Beneteau owners forum, but their website is horrible.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #20

Right, the Beneteau Owners Forum is pretty useless unless you're a sailboater.

Sorry, biggest water we've been in has been 3'-4', with period of about 2 seconds, so I'm no help on Bahama crossing.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
44', beneteau, swift trawler