Old 11-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #301
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Thanks. That is all figured out the problem right now is figuring out what to do with water that can't be drained from the water tanks and the connection between the tanks and the water pump.
Assuming water line exits tank from bottom tap - Disconnect line exiting tank, let tank drain. Unless your B has an oddball tank design any remaining water should not pose a problem. Connect AF line to disconnected line.

Or, let the yard do it. A very long time ago I worked at a yard and winterized many different types of vessels, the yard manager had been winterizing vessels since the 30s. Same as 80 years later, drain tanks, AF system. This was on Long Island.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #302
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Assuming water line exits tank from bottom tap - Disconnect line exiting tank, let tank drain. Unless your B has an oddball tank design any remaining water should not pose a problem. Connect AF line to disconnected line.

Or, let the yard do it. A very long time ago I worked at a yard and winterized many different types of vessels, the yard manager had been winterizing vessels since the 30s. Same as 80 years later, drain tanks, AF system. This was on Long Island.
I know the general process. I am trying to figure out how to do it on the ST44 specifically. On most boats, things will drain out with gravity. Unfortunately, Beneteau does not do a good job of routing things on the ST44. I spent hours re-positioning fill hoses, vents, etc, so things would not get clogged. Just trying understand tips/tricks from ST44 owners on how they handle winterization of their freshwater tank and connection between it and the pump when the hose is not run at the correct angle so things drain with gravity.

If there is no easy way then I need to figure out if I can remove the red cover, drop a mini sump in, get as much remaining water out as possible, then probably connect a shop vac to the other end and hope it sucks out enough water sitting in the hoses/T connection.

I don't think a yard is going to have a magical solution. They count on gravity or access to these fittings to get things done...
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #303
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Mystery, Sunchaser, check into the "red pop". It gets into all the hidden corners etc and it wont kill you. Just remember to pump and flush all the lines and lines come spring.
IF someone has a subscription to Just Answers, I am assured the correct aka "commercial name" is there but, I am not about to join another site.
My boat is in south FL and have no need for the "red pop".
Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #304
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Mystery, Sunchaser, check into the "red pop". It gets into all the hidden corners etc and it wont kill you. Just remember to pump and flush all the lines and lines come spring.
IF someone has a subscription to Just Answers, I am assured the correct aka "commercial name" is there but, I am not about to join another site.
My boat is in south FL and have no need for the "red pop".
red pop aka antifreeze aka pink stuff will not solve my problem that there is an inaccessible capacity i cannot tap into in the tanks... i cannot be certain how much but there is at least a few inches of water i cannot drain in 2x80-90 gallon tanks... that makes me think i would need a TON of antifreeze to 1) dillute any remaining water, 2) make it so there is enough covering the inaccessible capacity so i can actually pump through. I'd rather not dump what may be 20-40+ gallons into the tanks. It will also be a bitch to get it out if there is an inaccessible capacity, probably would need to flush a dozen times and that would take days.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #305
Guru

I have a creative thought... If I can somehow add weight to the bow, that may allow the water to level off and drain from the tanks. Right now the connection is at the front of the tank and if the bow is inclined any degrees, the water will not be level, have a natural tendency to sit towards the back half of the tank, and the drain in the front sits dry. Instead of inviting a bunch of people over to stand on the bow, I wonder if I can buy a cheap bag and fill with water on the bow, once done, empty, and stow for next year.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:44 AM   #306
Guru

Quote:
red pop aka antifreeze aka pink stuff will not solve my problem that there is an inaccessible capacity i cannot tap into in the tanks... i cannot be certain how much but there is at least a few inches of water i cannot drain in 2x80-90 gallon tanks...
You do not have a fresh water tank drains?
What happens if you get foul water into your water tanks?
Perhaps a close visual inspection of the bottom of each tank ..... you will discover a drain.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #307
Guru

Quote:
You do not have a fresh water tank drains?
What happens if you get foul water into your water tanks?
Perhaps a close visual inspection of the bottom of each tank ..... you will discover a drain.
There is no way to access the bottoms of the tanks that I can see. I sanitize the water tanks with bleach. I guess most ST44 owners are lucky to be in warmer climates that do not require winterization!
Old 11-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #308
Guru

Quote:
I have a creative thought... If I can somehow add weight to the bow, that may allow the water to level off and drain from the tanks. Right now the connection is at the front of the tank and if the bow is inclined any degrees, the water will not be level, have a natural tendency to sit towards the back half of the tank, and the drain in the front sits dry. Instead of inviting a bunch of people over to stand on the bow, I wonder if I can buy a cheap bag and fill with water on the bow, once done, empty, and stow for next year.
Put the beer keg at the leading edge of the bow along with the snack trays. Between the weight of the beer keg and the folks huddled around the keg, that should lower the bow considerably. LOL
Old 11-05-2018, 10:23 AM   #309
Guru

Quote:
Put the beer keg at the leading edge of the bow along with the snack trays. Between the weight of the beer keg and the folks huddled around the keg, that should lower the bow considerably. LOL
hahaha not a bad idea

i may just go out and buy plastic storage bins and see if that will do the trick

50 gallon bin * 8+ pounds per gallon = 400+ pounds

can drop a sump in to drain

cheap enough I can throw away
Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #310
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Mystery
How much water is left in tank when you run it to "dry" with water taps open?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #311
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Mystery
How much water is left in tank when you run it to "dry" with water taps open?
Hard to estimate but not a ton in there at this point. It is difficult figuring out how much is in there so if I do opt to dump antifreeze in, its not diluted by the remaining water.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:04 PM   #312
Guru

Alright so my idea about adding ballast to the bow to try to get water out of the freshwater tanks did not work, at least with 1200+ pounds of ballast. I am now back to square one...
Old 11-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #313
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Can you access the area you photographed with the T and pump inlet?
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #314
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I’m a bit out of practice for winterizing, but I wouldn’t expect a water tank with a bit of water in it to be a problem if it freezes as long as there is room for expansion.
With the hoses, can’t you just disconnect that blue hose below the tee at and drain them both.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:01 PM   #315
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Can you access the area you photographed with the T and pump inlet?
No. There is a generator in between and a very small compartment. I tried reaching and could touch the back of the generator but its mounted on a wall about another 6-12" further. My arms are not long enough not too mention I need to be able to use a tool and physically separate the hose from the fitting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I’m a bit out of practice for winterizing, but I wouldn’t expect a water tank with a bit of water in it to be a problem if it freezes as long as there is room for expansion.
With the hoses, can’t you just disconnect that blue hose below the tee at and drain them both.
Issue is not water in the tank but water in the metal T connection and blue hose that I am worried about freezing and breaking.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #316

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
Open the access port(s) and shop vac the water out
Add a few gallons of AF and should be good.

I am on my 4th winterization and no issues this far
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #317
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOJOURN4 View Post
Open the access port(s) and shop vac the water out
Add a few gallons of AF and should be good.

I am on my 4th winterization and no issues this far
Thank you. Will be awesome if its just a few gallons of AF. I just ordered a drum bung wrench to try to get the red access port open. I will endeavor to vacuum / pump out the remaining water, add antifreeze to both tanks until it starts pumping out one of the fixtures, then disconnect, blow out with air via shore connection, bypass the hot water heater, drain it, then pump antifreeze through at the freshwater pump through all the fixtures.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #318
Guru

For those that have had warranty work... have you had an issue where Beneteau has only approved a fraction of the dealer's claim of labor / materials? I would think this is between Beneteau and the Beneteau dealer but its falling in my lap with the dealer saying I will have to pay for most of the work. Beneteau replies with things like "job can be done in less time" or "job can be combined with other work" and the dealer insists that it cannot. On past boats and vehicles, I have never been asked to pay for warranty work so this is alarming.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #319

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I have heard that Beneteau pays it's dealers $65 / hr. for warranty work. If this is true I guess you cannot expect a class A mechanic at that rate.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:28 AM   #320
Guru

ST44 owners, another winterization question... making progress...

Seems neither the Sea Flush kit (Will it fit my boat?) nor the Flush caps (https://trac-online.com/product/trac-flushcaps) are compatible with the Vetus 1320 strainers (https://www.vetus.com/en/engines-and...wody-5493.html)

What do you guys do for winterizing? It looks like the Sea Flush shop vac attachment should fit in to blow out the hose from the strainer to thru-hull but I need to figure out a way to introduce antifreeze that won't make a mess everywhere... I was hoping for a solution that would allow the antifreeze to draw from a 5 gallon bucket via a hose... bummer the Sea Flush funnel does not fit.

Thank you!

Tags
44', beneteau, swift trawler