Old 05-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #81

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
My 2 cents on performance..........
This weekend was SLIGHTLY windy in southern New Jersey. My Captain and I ran our ST44 to Cape May from Great Egg Inlet (South of Atlantic City) on a beautiful, flat ocean on Friday, Saturday was very windy and Sunday was forecast to "laydown" a bit...... needless to say, when we woke on Sunday, 20+ mph out of the Northeast. And for those of us on the Jersey coast - NE winds for a few days can be a problem. So the discussion was go - no go, etc. with seas right on our nose. I radioed a commercial tug (AIS is great) and he advised 4 to 6' footers with a few white caps. We are seasoned boaters and not concerned about having a rough ride and we only had to run about 35 miles North to our inlet and the worst that could happen was we turn around and tuck back into the marina.
Well the tug boat Capt was correct.. 4 to 6's and an occasional bigger set. We set the auto pilot and started to run up speed to seek a comfort level. With trim tabs about 50% we were able to SAFELY run 17 mph's with only an occasional hard landing - Wind shield wipers worked overtime to say the least. (My Captain took a nap)
Ran 35 miles and burned 39 gals.
I read a long time ago that your boat can take a heck of a lot more than we can.
My Captain said I did a terrific job running the boat - my response was auto pilot and the 44 did the work.
Every trip is a learning experience.......
SOJOURN
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #82
Guru

City: Z
Vessel Model: tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOJOURN4 View Post
My 2 cents on performance..........
This weekend was SLIGHTLY windy in southern New Jersey. My Captain and I ran our ST44 to Cape May from Great Egg Inlet (South of Atlantic City) on a beautiful, flat ocean on Friday, Saturday was very windy and Sunday was forecast to "laydown" a bit...... needless to say, when we woke on Sunday, 20+ mph out of the Northeast. And for those of us on the Jersey coast - NE winds for a few days can be a problem. So the discussion was go - no go, etc. with seas right on our nose. I radioed a commercial tug (AIS is great) and he advised 4 to 6' footers with a few white caps. We are seasoned boaters and not concerned about having a rough ride and we only had to run about 35 miles North to our inlet and the worst that could happen was we turn around and tuck back into the marina.
Well the tug boat Capt was correct.. 4 to 6's and an occasional bigger set. We set the auto pilot and started to run up speed to seek a comfort level. With trim tabs about 50% we were able to SAFELY run 17 mph's with only an occasional hard landing - Wind shield wipers worked overtime to say the least. (My Captain took a nap)
Ran 35 miles and burned 39 gals.
I read a long time ago that your boat can take a heck of a lot more than we can.
My Captain said I did a terrific job running the boat - my response was auto pilot and the 44 did the work.
Every trip is a learning experience.......
SOJOURN
Thank you for the insight!
boater3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #83
Guru

All, I have narrowed down the ST44 as one of the models I am interested in moving up to. Let me know if you are thinking about selling yours before listing it with a broker.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #84

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
For anyone interested:

Here is a loaded 2014 ST 44 with less than 400 hours. It looks like a very good buy to me.

44 Beneteau 2014 Knot Billable Deale, Maryland
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #85
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
For anyone interested:

Here is a loaded 2014 ST 44 with less than 400 hours. It looks like a very good buy to me.

44 Beneteau 2014 Knot Billable Deale, Maryland
Yes, NICE boat. The ST was on my list but over my budget a bit. However, there were some really nice 42s out there that I could have swung. For you experts, how much difference in the 42 and the 44?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #86

City: Earth
Looking for a 44. private party sale preferred.
captandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #87

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
I'm not sure why but I see very few of these for resale. Maybe because there aren't many to begin with?
Good luck!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 PM   #88

City: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
I'm not sure why but I see very few of these for resale. Maybe because there aren't many to begin with?
Good luck!
there are a bunch but most have been sitting on market over a year because they are priced too high. looking for one that does not involve a broker so the seller isn't tacking on 10% to cover the broker commission.
captandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #89
Guru

No one wants to sell?!
Old 10-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Yes, NICE boat. The ST was on my list but over my budget a bit. However, there were some really nice 42s out there that I could have swung. For you experts, how much difference in the 42 and the 44?

The 42 is heavier but is a wonderful craft. Check one out!!!!!
Joebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #91
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Our 44 runs around 3,450 at WOT. At that rpm we are typically running around 24.5 knots (28 mph). We typically cruise between 13 to 17 knots, depending. Could comfortably cruise at 20 knots if we wanted to, but we'd be burning more fuel, especially compared to 13 knots.
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #92
Guru

Alright, just surveyed a 2015 ST 44! Looking for some input from ST 44 owners...

I was hoping that some of the issues could be addressed by beneteau/dealer under warranty. However, even though the boat should have an entire year of warranty left, the dealer never did the inspections required by Beneteau. We reached out to Beneteau and they told us the dealer was even reminded by them and given an extension. The owner was never contacted unfortunately and Beneteau is stating they will not honor the last year of warranty. I guess one could blame the owner but sounds like the dealer wasn't even aware of the required inspection...

Now onto the main issues/questions:
1. Upper helm raymarine touch input faulty
2. Leaky rudder seal
3. Both turbos had a small oil leak but mechanics feel they just need new gaskets. Anyone know if that is normal and not the sign of a larger issue?
4. Bimini top was in poor condition and torn. Needs to be replaced. Need to get an estimate.
5. ALL exterior caulking is riddled with mold/mildew. Owner states its been an issue for a while. Boat is only two years old. I am thinking the factory used the wrong type. Has anyone had this issue?
6. There are zero smoke/CO detectors on the boat. Does Beneteau not install?
7. The Volvos and raymarine weren’t talking. There is only a dedicated Volvo screen in the lower helm. I am guessing I need a module to get them to talk? Need to figure out cost for 2x engines.
8. Mastervolt inverter does not turn off when switch is flipped down. I thought inverters usually have to be turned off when shore power is on but the owner hasn’t touched and leaves as-is. It worked when we disconnected shore power. Maybe they are just smart these days and know when to kick on or stay on in parallel to the shore power?
9. There appears to be several hundred pounds of lead ballast in the bilge on the port side. Does everyone's ST 44 have that too?
10. Could only get 24 knots at 3600 rpm and 30 gph. Not terribly far off from the boattest. Boat had half fuel and five people on-board. Mechanics state they felt the boat was underpropped. I don’t know what that means.
11. TV in master is not secured to anything. Looks like guest cabin wall is shared and would need to drill through to mount? Anyone have any creative solutions for theirs?

There were some other minor issues but to be expected.

Thank you for your insight!!
Old 11-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #93

City: New York
Mostly from reading this forum and others, Volvos give me a negative feeling. I also like the Swift Trawler, been on a few at boat shows.
Most seem to come equipped with Volvo, is the negativity warranted?
Interesting when I was speaking with Anton, Neptune Marine, Elling/ He informed me that in Europe its Volvo, his builds that come to the USA ..Cats..
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genecop View Post
Mostly from reading this forum and others, Volvos give me a negative feeling. I also like the Swift Trawler, been on a few at boat shows.
Most seem to come equipped with Volvo, is the negativity warranted?
Interesting when I was speaking with Anton, Neptune Marine, Elling/ He informed me that in Europe its Volvo, his builds that come to the USA ..Cats..
The ST44 only comes with Volvo. My understanding after much research is their dealer network is weaker, parts more expensive and harder to obtain, and computer diagnostics not as detailed. If you do preventative maintenance, they are usually reliable long-term.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #95
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
Alright, just surveyed a 2015 ST 44! Looking for some input from ST 44 owners...

I was hoping that some of the issues could be addressed by beneteau/dealer under warranty. However, even though the boat should have an entire year of warranty left, the dealer never did the inspections required by Beneteau. We reached out to Beneteau and they told us the dealer was even reminded by them and given an extension. The owner was never contacted unfortunately and Beneteau is stating they will not honor the last year of warranty. I guess one could blame the owner but sounds like the dealer wasn't even aware of the required inspection...

2. Leaky rudder seal
3. Both turbos had a small oil leak but mechanics feel they just need new gaskets. Anyone know if that is normal and not the sign of a larger issue?
4. Bimini top was in poor condition and torn. Needs to be replaced. Need to get an estimate.
5. ALL exterior caulking is riddled with mold/mildew. Owner states its been an issue for a while. Boat is only two years old. I am thinking the factory used the wrong type. Has anyone had this issue?
7. The Volvos and raymarine weren’t talking. There is only a dedicated Volvo screen in the lower helm. I am guessing I need a module to get them to talk? Need to figure out cost for 2x engines.
8. Mastervolt inverter does not turn off when switch is flipped down. I thought inverters usually have to be turned off when shore power is on but the owner hasn’t touched and leaves as-is. It worked when we disconnected shore power. Maybe they are just smart these days and know when to kick on or stay on in parallel to the shore power?
9. There appears to be several hundred pounds of lead ballast in the bilge on the port side. Does everyone's ST 44 have that too?
10. Could only get 24 knots at 3600 rpm and 30 gph. Not terribly far off from the boattest. Boat had half fuel and five people on-board. Mechanics state they felt the boat was underpropped. I don’t know what that means.
11. TV in master is not secured to anything. Looks like guest cabin wall is shared and would need to drill through to mount? Anyone have any creative solutions for theirs?

Look s good for a 20 year old boat
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #96
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

2. Leaky rudder seal

Can you please explain why you're even asking, considering with all those things? That boat is a disaster and there's much more to the story you don't even know I'll bet.

Gaston hit it right. 2 year old boat is like you'd expect from a 20 year old. We just sold a 2015 model boat and it was in perfect condition.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #97
Guru

Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

As someone who knows the Swift 44 well, I think you guys are overeacting. The Raymarine issue may simply be a setting issue, as you can enable and disable the touch aspect. Smoke detectors are an easy add. The Volvo and Raymarine don't talk to one another as standard on the Swift. You need to get a Volvo NMEA 2000 Gateway which is around $400 I think. But again, nothing broken there, the boat just doesn't come with it as standard. Not sure about the inverter, could just be the way it operates. The lead ballast is no issue, as Beneteau adds it, maybe to level the boat I'm guessing? The 24 knots is right where the top speed should be, and the engines are hitting their absolute max operating rpm at 3,600. Not sure why the TV is not secured, but no big deal. Easy fix, maybe just a matter of securing a mount using a modern adhesive. Lots of Swift 44's have TVs in the Master, so the dealer should be able to provide guidance.

As for the bimini, clearly it was poorly constructed if it needs to be replaced, but certainly something that you can ask the seller to provide an allowance for in order to replace. Definitely not something that would lead me to passing on the boat.

Okay, that leaves 3 issues. The turbos, the rudder, and the caulking mold and mildew.

First let's talk about the caulking. Beneteau, for who knows what reason, insists on laying a thick bead of white caulking in certain areas, especially in the cockpit where the hull meets the top side. If you don't keep applying mold and mildew treatment periodically, especially in wetter climates, mold will grow on it and penetrate the caulking. When I purchased my Swift 44 up in Vancouver, there were areas where this happened. I doused it with a mold and mildew remover and after multiple applications the mold faded to where it is barely noticable. And at some point, I may just put a thin layer of caulk over it and eliminate it completely. I've even heard of people painting the caulk and swear by it as a solution. In any case, I do NOT agree with the way Beneteau uses caulk so liberally in certain areas, but that said, if you like the Swift, it is easily resolved.

That leaves the rudder seals and the turbos.

Let's cover the rudder seals. While obviously you'd rather not have a seal that leaks, as long as there isn't a lot of corrosion, this is an easy fix and something the buyer could ask the seller for an allowance to repair. Unfortunately, this is a known weak spot in the Swift. The rudder seals they use are not very robust. I had a leaky seal which was repaired after I purchased, and so far it hasn't leaked again. But regardless, I would consider the rudder seal as a weak spot. That said, this is something that happens on other Swifts. It isn't a sign that this particular boat is in a state of disrepair. And if you like the Swift, you need to accept the fact that at some point, you'll probably need to replace the seals. The parts are $120 per rudder, so when you get the boat hauled out for bottom paint every 3 years, probably a good idea to have the yard replace the seals.

That leaves the ONE issue that would give me pause, which is the turbos. The rest of the issues, especially since the caulking and rudder seals happen on other Swifts, are just noise in terms of making a "go" or "no go" decision.

The turbos should not have oil leaks at this point. My assumption is that they are under warranty, and if so, they can be fixed at no cost. However, if I was the buyer of the boat, this would be the one issue that I would put the majority of my energy into in order to determine if it is an isolated issue, or related to something more systemic. I personally have not heard of this issue as being common on the D4's. In general, everyone I've talked with said as long as you follow the maintenance schedule, they are very reliable engines. And there are a lot of them around.

So bottom line is that the turbos should be investigated more deeply, while I believe the other issues are very minor.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:49 PM   #98
Guru

City: Sydney
IMO If purchasing a 2 year old boat it should be as good or better than new Not a boat wanting repairs what else did the survey miss
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
IMO If purchasing a 2 year old boat it should be as good or better than new Not a boat wanting repairs what else did the survey miss

Hi Gaston, I agree with you completely, it "should" be as good as new. Why people don't fix these issues, especially those covered by warranty, before they put the boat on the market, is a complete and utter mystery (which ironically happens to be the buyer's screen name).

That said, rather than just say "run", I think it is much more helpful and productive to have someone who knows the boat separate the real issues that should be concerning from the minor issues that are either common, or easily resolved.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #100
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB1969 View Post
Hi Gaston, I agree with you completely, it "should" be as good as new. Why people don't fix these issues, especially those covered by warranty, before they put the boat on the market, is a complete and utter mystery (which ironically happens to be the buyer's screen name).

That said, rather than just say "run", I think it is much more helpful and productive to have someone who knows the boat separate the real issues that should be concerning from the minor issues that are either common, or easily resolved.
I stick by my run. A 2 year old boat in that condition reflects an awful combination of poor workmanship or installation plus horrific maintenance. Clearly the owner took no real pride in the boat. As to the warranty story and the dealer inspections and the voided warranty, I don't buy any part of that story. It's just something else very fishy about this entire boat. Add to that the boat doesn't reach speed and just the neglect by an owner to let it get to the condition it's in.

There is more to this story that hasn't been disclosed by the seller.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
44', beneteau, swift trawler