Old 08-27-2016, 12:07 AM   #41

City: Tauranga New Zealand
Vessel Model: 2016 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
You can see the lower port screen door edge, in white. Best photo I have for now.
Thanks again for the helpful photo of the aft saloon door tracks.
On a different subject do all 44's now have option to pump black water tank either ashore or into the sea? We do not have pump out facilities in most marinas and so need to empty out at sea. We know from experience on french canals that almost everything goes directly into the water!
Vintage Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #42

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Our 2012 44 has a valve in the aft head that diverts the waste to either the pump out port on the starboard side or out to sea, below the water line.

Also, contrary to the owners manual, our heads flush with fresh water.

I have found many discrepancies in the owners manual. It's as if it was written for a 2011, or earlier.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Pt. Richmond
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST-44
The heads on my 2012 st44 flush with seawater. very aromatic the first few flushes after non use and all that odor ends up in the holding tank. I'm thinking of converting my heads to fresh water.
dallas2153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #44

Wow! I guess I lucked out, finally! I have hull #43. What's yours, Dallas?
Old 08-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Richard, I'm hull #39, just three between me and you.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:09 PM   #46

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Florence
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST 42
Mods to ST 42

We have owned our ST 42 for four years, moving to the Dark Side after many years of yachting. We are very pleased with the boat which we use extensively for coastal cruising from our base near Auckland. We have made a few changes to enhance the comfort and convenience aboard. the most significant is an enclosed hard top to the Flying Bridge, a sort of Room with a View. We have also motorised the winches for handling the dinghy.
Florence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #47

Dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Port View Post
Hello. Maybe I posted my note in the wrong forum as new to this! We are in NZ and have a new 44Swift arriving in November in time for our summer cruising.
Can anyone advise re the dinghy options that will fit on the fly bridge - length weight models etc that those already using this model of Swift can offer me. Many thanks. Mike
Hello Mike. We had a Southern Pacific 2.6 metre RIB for years which fitted nicely. This eventually succumbed to the effects of weather and particularly UV. We have recently replaced this with a Zodiac the same size which works well. It is a bit heavier and certainly looks the business.

Pleased to hear of another Beneteau ST owner in NZ. Perhaps we can share a beer and a yarn at Great Barrier around Christmas
Old 09-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #48

Good Morning Mike. Are you coming up to the Boat Show this week? I am planning to visit on Thursday taking the Pine Harbour ferry. Would be good to meet up if you are in the area.Cheers
Old 09-26-2016, 12:44 AM   #49

We are in Rarotonga and will get to boat show on Saturday. Mike
Old 09-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #50

Thanks Mike. We will be in Wellington for the weekend but would love to catch up with you when you are next up this way. We live at Maraetai Beach and Florence is at Pine Harbour Marina. Cheers
Old 10-13-2016, 03:26 AM   #51

Swift 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Thanks Mike. We will be in Wellington for the weekend but would love to catch up with you when you are next up this way. We live at Maraetai Beach and Florence is at Pine Harbour Marina. Cheers
Boat show was interesting but still feel the Swift is the best! Sorry I missed you and Peter mentioned you had called by.
Our boat was delivered to Radicatel in France today and will be loaded on the ship Oct 13th. Planning on about 10 days on hard stand st Sulpur Point Marina. They recommend a hull sand, primer and three coats anti foul. Have to get engines checked by Coastline a Marine as they will sell me the extra three year engine warranty. Putting prop speed on props and rudders as suggested.
If you are down Tauranga way please call the Marina to make contact with me.
Expect to discharge on Nov 18 and truck to hard stand. Mike Evans
Old 10-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #52

Greetings Mike. Pleased to hear that everything appears to be on track and you should have your lovely new boat commissioned in time for the summer weather ahead.
We do hope that we can catch up some time. Our plans are pretty fluid and weather dependent. We will likely be at Great Barrier some time after Xmas and may head further North also. You may like to give me a bell on 0274 7468972 when you are out that way. Meanwhile, if you have any questions that I may be able to help with then do not hesitate to get in touch. Cheers David
Old 10-27-2016, 03:34 AM   #53

Depth Sounder

Are any of you 44's having trouble keeping the depth reading? I am. Maybe it's the 7-12' water around here but I lose it, usually after accelerating or altering plane.

I understand the 2017 44's no longer have the through-hull transducer, instead they mount a stick-on black rubber disc just aft of the engine transmission.

New (cheaper?) technology? Or, were they getting complaints about the previous installations?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2405.jpg   IMG_2409.jpg  
Old 10-27-2016, 11:39 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Hi Richard,
Yes, I have the same problem. Sometimes the depth goes away for several minutes.
No a good thing.
Dallas
Old 10-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #55

Depth Sounder Transducer

Our ST42 is about 8 years old and has Raymarine instumentation. The depth sounder works OK at our normal pottering along at 9 kts or so but we do lose the signal at higher speeds. I understand from other owners with this gear that there have been many problems with the transducer but so far we are quite happy with ours.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #56

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
2 Gradys, 1 Silverton 33 Sport Coupe, 1 ST 34, 1 ST 44......

All Ray equipment....

At some point in time, all had issues with mid to higher speeds reading on the DSM sounder.

Regional Ray manger said location of transducer is affected by air/durbulance and causes the DSM to ping out until a "good" signel is encounter. That is why once you back off the speed, readings come back.

I can run our ST 44 in smooth water and no issues - same speed in a little chop or more - zero depth readings.

I look at it this way - I will not run fast if I am unsure of the water depth so no issues for me.
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #57

My Swift is due Nov 21st so cannot comment but hopefully Beneteau and Raymarine have sorted the problem by now if so many comments. Tried to contact Florence and will try again .Vintage Port
Old 11-02-2016, 06:37 AM   #58
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
If the pictures are of what you call a "stick on black rubber disc"...it is really a liquid filled, variable deadrisd, shoot thru the hull ducer.

I have one and it works great. Certainly not cheaper tech, just a shoot thru type that you no longer have to build your own tube for.

About every ducer I have ever used seems to lose a good signal from something. Either speed, tubidity, thermocline, etc....

Sometimes adjusting controls overcomes one, but then the settings are wrong if you encounter another.

Usually speed will kill a transducer if any irregularity on the bottom causes a bubble stream across the face. Weed growth, barnacles, rough paint, thru hulls, etc all are potential causes.

Occasionally I hear about transducers that should not have problems, all causes have been investigated yet they lose their signal. I am perplexed by this as much as anyone. Even the equipment manufacturers seem to run out of suggestions other than move the ducer around...great for shoot thrus, not so easy for thru hull ones or transom models. Then the suggestion is simetimes, get another ducer and move it around in the same conditions the other loses bottom. Again, not so easy unless you are a marine electronics store.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #59
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
I had Raymarine E120 with a depth sounder integrated. It never worked correctly despite changing out the dsm. It would lose the signal quite frequently. We travel the ICW and a reliable depth sounder is imperative. I finally threw in the towel, ripped out everything with the name Raymarine on it and installed Garmin. The only time I lose the sounder now is if I'm passed by a speeding sporty and travel in its turbulent wake for a few minutes. Then the signal returns and remains rock solid.

If you have the option to spec something other than Raymarine, I think you will be better off. YMMV
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #60
Guru

City: gulf coast
Depth finders that show only numbers have always been a problem for me here. The water is turbid, often sandy, shallow and stirred up by other boats. Multiple systems on multiple boats all did the same. It would loose the bottom. often in shallow water when I most needed it. Through hull, on transom or shoot through the hull made no difference. It was the water conditions.

The solution was to install fishfinder type units that show a scan of the bottom. Even if they loose the detail for number display they still show some indication of bottom profile. The two frequency ones are what I used.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
44', beneteau, swift trawler