Old 07-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #21

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Emily B
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44'
I just started looking into the 44 and you are right not many around for resale. I would really like to hear about some offshore cruising. In particular how you owners would feel about a crossing from fl to the Bahamas etc[/QUOTE]

Hi adk1
We have had our ST44 coming up on 4 years and have logged around 2500+ offshore miles on her going up and down the California Coast. Last year from SF to San Diego and back. Obviously no insight into a crossing from FL to the Bahamas but we have had her in a variety of sea conditions offshore, from a pounding going uphill rounding conception with steep confused seas with no shoulders to up hill swells of 9-11 @ 14-16 seconds and lots of 2-3' wind waves on top of a swell and significant ebb currents opposing incoming swell going out of the Golden Gate.

The boat has performed solidly, is stable, able to maintain control in a number of sea states Plenty of power, decent fuel efficiency up to around 16 knots (give or take currents) and the Volvo's humm away on 24+ hour legs. There has never been a point that we felt the boat was close to being pushed to an unsafe limit. Hope this helps happy to answer any other questions.

CB
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
[/QUOTE]
Hi adk1
We have had our ST44 coming up on 4 years and have logged around 2500+ offshore miles on her going up and down the California Coast. Last year from SF to San Diego and back. Obviously no insight into a crossing from FL to the Bahamas but we have had her in a variety of sea conditions offshore, from a pounding going uphill rounding conception with steep confused seas with no shoulders to up hill swells of 9-11 @ 14-16 seconds and lots of 2-3' wind waves on top of a swell and significant ebb currents opposing incoming swell going out of the Golden Gate.

The boat has performed solidly, is stable, able to maintain control in a number of sea states Plenty of power, decent fuel efficiency up to around 16 knots (give or take currents) and the Volvo's humm away on 24+ hour legs. There has never been a point that we felt the boat was close to being pushed to an unsafe limit. Hope this helps happy to answer any other questions.

CB[/QUOTE]

Gee folks, from Miami Beach to Bimini is only about 55 miles.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Do these have the D6 engines?
Drives, or straight shafts?
Lastly, any issues with corrosion around the charge cooler lines?

So far, the engines and DPH drives have been working well on our 44GT for the past 2 years, with a few minor issues, most of which have been covered by warranty.

I don't normally buy warranties, but we purchased the extended, which takes them to 5 years.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #24

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Emily B
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44'
[QUOTE=Fletcher500;459224]Do these have the D6 engines?
Drives, or straight shafts?
Lastly, any issues with corrosion around the charge cooler lines?

Volvo D4's with straight shafts.
Actually we had to have both of the engine heat exchangers rebuilt they were leaking water and then it was discovered that the hoses had bonded to the engine. The mechanic that did the work has been working on the engines since they came out and had never seen this so I guess "we're special"
CeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #25

City: Marietta
Vessel Model: Cobalt 246
There is a beautiful 2014 ST44 parked in the slip next to mine at Tarpon Point Marina in Cape Coral. It just went up for sale. $469K. It's very lightly used and a great boat. I've been in it. I ogle it every time I'm on my boat...[URL="http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=2959162&lang=en& slim=broker&&hosturl=swfyachts&&ywo=swfyachts&"[/URL]
Old 07-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #26

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
My Capt and I are in our 2nd year with our ST44. Last summer we ran some 1500 miles. Ocean, Delaware Bay, LI Sound and Chesapeake - and not all were perfect Wx days as we all know!!
Delaware has been pretty nasty - no issues. Biggest water so far has been on the LI Sound off Block Island running to Newprt RI - 6 to 8' swells on the starboard side - also no issues.
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #27

City: Georgia
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 41EU
Forward Berth

To all current ST44 owners. We have not yet had a chance to see one in the flesh, but we are concerned about the forward berth. Two questions: 1) is the bed really a queen? It looks like some significant pieces are missing along the sides at top and bottom. Can two sleep comfortably?

And 2) is it relatively quiet in the v-berth at anchor at night? We were really wanting a mid-cabin to avoid the inherent noise of being up front but thought I would ask. Thanks!
mcboatface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
We have the GT 44. I will let someone with ST 44 answer your question, but I can tell you that it is noisy in the forward berth with the anchor chain rattling around if there is any wind or even the smallest chop. I therefore plan to buy a line snubber.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #29

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
2nd Summer with our ST44. We have slept aboard some 35 nights this summer - No issues. I am 6' 220 lbs, My Capt is a "small". We use a queen fitted sheet.

No issues with chain since we always use a snubber.

Good luck!!!
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #30

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
No problem with bed size. I'm 5'10' 190 lbs. Wife is smaller. This is the most comfortable bed we own, albeit smaller than our normal king.

There is noise from waves slapping against chines in rough conditions. Only anchored out 2 nights in calm water, no noise, of course.

I suggest you go and find one and check it out!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:24 AM   #31

City: Tauranga New Zealand
Vessel Model: 2016 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Hello. Maybe I posted my note in the wrong forum as new to this! We are in NZ and have a new 44Swift arriving in November in time for our summer cruising.
Can anyone advise re the dinghy options that will fit on the fly bridge - length weight models etc that those already using this model of Swift can offer me. Many thanks. Mike
Vintage Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:31 AM   #32
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Mike, have you asked the dealer selling you the boat?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Port View Post
Hello. Maybe I posted my note in the wrong forum as new to this! We are in NZ and have a new 44Swift arriving in November in time for our summer cruising.
Can anyone advise re the dinghy options that will fit on the fly bridge - length weight models etc that those already using this model of Swift can offer me. Many thanks. Mike
Our boom max weight is 120Kg, or 264 lbs. The max length for the space is about 10'.

I bought and am happy with the AB Lammina 9 AL, which weighs about 100 lbs.

The Lehr 9.9 hp propane outboard has given me a few issues. While it's nice to have propane instead of gasoline, I may opt for a gas engine next time.

This brings the load to around 200 lbs., plus the added supplies and equipment.

By the way, the 2 Lewmar cheek blocks affixed to the mast have disintegrated and were replaced. Could be the harsh UV rays in Florida or they are not up to the load.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2843.jpg  
Old 08-10-2016, 02:25 AM   #34

Smile swift 44 tender

Many thanks RClarke246. That is so helpful. I will start my searching in interest now. I have not heard of Propane powered outboards here down in NZ I have 5.5 Mercury motor left from our last launch.
The photo was great and the AB range of inflatables are very popular here.
Cheers Mike
Old 08-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #35

Thanks all for the feedback. Now it's time to go see some boats this fall at TrawlerFest and Ft Lauderdale.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
After scanning through some of the opinions regarding Beneteau's Swift Trawlers I wanted to "weigh in" with our experience after owning a 44' for almost a year. Boating both in the SF bay as well as coastal offshore. We LOVE her! I was a sailor for 25+ years before making a jump to Trawlers. There are some opinions here about the seaworthiness and stability. I can say after a number of 35 Knot winds opposing 5-7 knot ebb tides in the "slot" Several coastal adventures including a recent trip which included an "uphill" run from Santa Cruz in a 9' swell, she handles beautifully. She is so stable that my wife who is new to boating (and said originally she wouldn't go out the Golden Gate for 2 years) is now an advocate of "going out" and often is at the helm coming back through the Main ship channel, often with 6-8 foot following seas. The interior is well done, the Galley roomy, and after 400 hours we haven't seen any structural issues which has included a number of "bay beatings". The twin Volvo 300HP Penta's perform flawlessly with great economy in the 8-10 knot range and if you want to "get there fast" they can get her up to 22-24 knots (conditions permitting) We have retro-fitted several small issues like adding grab rails on the fly-bridge, upgrading the anchor to a 65' Manson. Overall an excellent experience.

Can you post some pictures of the grab rails you added to the fly?

Darryl
Old 08-17-2016, 11:58 PM   #37

Swift Mosquito nets

Hi those with the 2016 Swift 44 trawlers
Our new build is in final stages by Beneteau and now the last query we are wondering about are the nets Mosquito screens that cover the sliding door to the cockpit. Does anyone have these? We wonder how intrusive they are, nuisance? etc. Any photos would be great to see. Cheers Mike
Old 08-18-2016, 02:16 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Port View Post
Hi those with the 2016 Swift 44 trawlers
Our new build is in final stages by Beneteau and now the last query we are wondering about are the nets Mosquito screens that cover the sliding door to the cockpit. Does anyone have these? We wonder how intrusive they are, nuisance? etc. Any photos would be great to see. Cheers Mike
Ours came with the optional door screen package. They self-store within the aft saloon and lower helm doors. Easy to deploy. No problem except the dealer had to add small handles to the aft doors. They meet in the middle with strong magnetic edge seals and they were awkward to disconnect before the handles were added. Also, when open, the starboard saloon door edge interferes with the latch on the glass door latch to starboard.
I don't have a good photo.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #39

You can see the lower port screen door edge, in white. Best photo I have for now.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Pt. Richmond
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST-44
Hi, my wife and I have slept aboard our ST44 approx 30 nights when in the San Juan Islands. The only times we experienced any noise issues were when we were on a mooring ball in windy conditions. you could easily hear the water slap against the hull.

As far as the v-berth. I too was concerned about that but it has proven to be very comfortable. I am 6' 205# and my wife is 5-7 and (you know why I cant go there :-).
dallas2153 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
44', beneteau, swift trawler