Old 03-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Swift 34 at 350 hours and counting

It is now mid-March and I have 350 hours on my Swift 34 and we have been in heavy seas up to 9 feet with this boat not intentionally, but we were in them. We are elated with the boat how is built, how it handles, the amazing fuel economy and how well thought out that it is. The 7-9 footers were coming from the Tortugas to Key West. The forecast was very wrong. Winds weee uo to 35 knots. We were going straight into the waves at 8 knots. Water was coming over the front every other wave. We never got one drop in the bilge. I have it on video! Living in the boat at anchor is really great. The more you live in it the more the thought that went into it becomes apparent. For the money it is really an awesome winter home for us. Usually we travel 6 knots at 3.8 liters per hour burn but several 150 mile trips from Ft Myers to Garrison Bight at Key West have been made at 17 knots. She goes 21 kts (24 mph) at full throttle. Our 34 is a 2016 and we will easily put 500 hours per season if not more. We love going on 1-2 week trips and staying out on the hook. The anchor they supplied with the mooring kit is awesome. Much better than any conventional danforth I have used in the past. My diver says the anodes remain in excellent shape after 7 months in the water, a testament to her electrical setup. Thanks Harmony for chiming in and telling the truth about a really great boat. My dealer, Viage, have been awesome as have Cummins in a few minor issues. Sunset Grille out!! Capt Joebad
Joebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:05 PM   #102
Veteran Member

The valves are bronze Groco valves in my Beneteau.
Joebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #103

City: Palm Coast
2013SR34. I am looking for part number and a supplier for a replacement strainer for the AC unit.
Chiprtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:02 PM   #104

City: Prescott
Lots of opinions. Only a few posters who have spoken from experience...which overall seems very positive re: Beneteau's ST34.

Let's revisit this claim this is only an 'inland waters & coastal cruiser' boat. It's been my experience some folks claim a specific boat lacks seaworthiness and capability offshore not because they are intimately familiar with the boat but rather because they are somewhat fearful about being offshore. Here are short video clips of two ST34's on passage in the English Channel and the North Sea. Since I've sailed in both those waters, I think I know what's going on here: European yachtsmen on holiday can be cruising in the Dutch canals, along the French west coast or down in England's 'sunny' south coast but the office eventually comes calling and now it's time to head home, taking the weather one is given. They are calling the conditions 'stormy' and 'rough' but it's worth noting these conditions are not unusual even during the boating season. Both these ST34's are simply doing what trawlers do, are handling the conditions well, and notice how low the engine sound levels are. Can we agree these boats are on offshore passages?

Both ST34's look entirely seaworthy to my eye, which BTW is likely one reason why they have sold well in northern Europe and hold their value well. But here's another example that addresses both the sea handling and structural suitability of these small trawlers. This video starts with the 34's smaller sister ship being taken out into typical Med conditions during sunny but windy weather. The ST30 has the same hull form and is built to the same standard as the 34 (and its updated replacement, the ST35). Watch the video and hear what someone who spends a lot of time on the water in this part of the world offers what he thinks about this boat's capabilities.

[URL="
Whoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:32 PM   #105
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosh View Post
Can we agree these boats are on offshore passages?
Ok, Jack or Whoosh. As a first time poster, what is your situation with Beneteau, what brings you to post in support? Do you own one? Introduce yourself and why your initial post is ST videos.

I don't consider the Bahamas offshore or running up the East Coast when you're never more than a few hours from shore really to be a challenge. What I saw on the videos was a boat that made the conditions look much worse than they really were. I stick to my opinion that they are not a boat for true rough water but a fine boat for coastal cruising and the Bahamas. As to the trip to PR and VI, I'd see them capable with the right window but it would have to be perfect and doubt I'd want to go further.

A true offshore rough water boat would make the conditions in those videos look milder rather than rougher. They clearly were offshore, but not a pleasant ride and looked very much like a light boat being tossed around. Now I think it handles the conditions in video 1 better than in the other two videos.

Now, my agenda. None. I don't own a ST. I think they fill a nice niche that others have turned away from. I also like the Antares. I've read all the posts about them and seen a mix of positive and negative but generally happy owners. I would personally prefer them over a "true trawler" because of the added speed. I keep hoping to see US production of them stepped up. I'm a limited supporter of them. Good choice for loop and Bahamas. I would not choose them as my choice for the Caribbean any more than I would Sea Ray, but plenty of Sea Rays there. Oh, and for comparison, I do think a Sea Ray Sundancer would handle the conditions shown slightly better.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, swift trawler