Old 05-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Myers
For the price point I think its an excellent coastal vessel. They did a hybrid test in Passagemaker mag, not overwhelming review, but does give some interesting insight.

Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopG View Post
Well to bring this around full circle, we decided to hold off on a Swift 34 to do more research. We like the design, two staterooms and standard gear included but the comments about the boats construction and quality make us pause.
I think you've made a good decision.

I don't have a Swift, haven't cruised one or know anyone who has one but I did examine a new 44 when they first came out. I was looking to upgrade to a faster boat and spent quite a bit of time at a boat show examining the Swift 44. The lines of the boat were very nice and the published speed excited me but when I stepped inside the salon I was extremely disappointed. The decked "creaked" when I walked on it and the fit & finish were not up to my expectations.

I know this post will result in some Swift owners hitting the ceiling and I'm not saying that the boat is dangerous to operate at sea. I'm just saying that if one looks very hard at the construction, they would be better served by buying a used high quality boat for the same money.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Interesting point Codger2, but in the brand new market I think there isn't a lot out there without a large jump in cost. Have a couple friends with Mainships and have heard others give similar reviews, but I can't help but notice the owners love them and travel all over and in the end isnt that what its all about, lets face it we all would love a Nordhavn, but not many could do justice to its sea keeping abilities tied up to a dock most of its life.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:40 AM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
........ lets face it we all would love a Nordhavn, but not many could do justice to its sea keeping abilities tied up to a dock most of its life.
Count me in as "one" who does not lust for a Nordhavn. They are built like a tank, too tall to my eye and slow! Yes, they are truly an ocean crossing machine but like 99% of people who subscribe to this forum, they don't even make my top ten for coastal cruising boats I would consider.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:12 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Count me in as "one" who does not lust for a Nordhavn. They are built like a tank, too tall to my eye and slow! Yes, they are truly an ocean crossing machine but like 99% of people who subscribe to this forum, they don't even make my top ten for coastal cruising boats I would consider.
Count me in with you, except I think they're overrated as an ocean crossing machine. Don't get me wrong, I do think some of them are capable. But I don't think any more capable than many other boats. I do give them credit for a solid hull and structure. And I definitely don't lust for one.

On the other hand, I recognize that for many they are the dream and turn out to be great boats for those owners. I think it's good that different brands of boats all have their following. The key is finding the one that is right for you and your needs.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #26

City: Alameda, Ca
Vessel Name: Take Five
Vessel Model: 2002 Mainship 390
We quickly steered away from Krogen and Nordhavn. Wonderful boats for a cruise we will never make. Also, given our budget, we would be looking at 10-15 year old boats with high engine hours and probably on the verge of needing some major updates or maintenance. We understand the trade off on the sea worthiness of a planing hull versus a full displacement hull. Prefer the extra knots to get home to our destination quicker or on a tighter timetable. Unfortunately, work typically expects us to show up on Monday morning.

SloopG
SloopG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #27

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I think you've made a good decision.

I don't have a Swift, haven't cruised one or know anyone who has one but I did examine a new 44 when they first came out. I was looking to upgrade to a faster boat and spent quite a bit of time at a boat show examining the Swift 44. The lines of the boat were very nice and the published speed excited me but when I stepped inside the salon I was extremely disappointed. The decked "creaked" when I walked on it and the fit & finish were not up to my expectations.

I know this post will result in some Swift owners hitting the ceiling and I'm not saying that the boat is dangerous to operate at sea

I think that all of the posts so far on this thread are spot-on. The "creaky" flooring is a bit disconcerting but not a "deal breaker" for us. Heck, the GB Europa is nearly tripple the price.

I believe that we got what we paid for.
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post

I believe that we got what we paid for.
I'm not at all being critical when saying the ST is a value boat. That's not to be interpreted as low quality. It does what it is designed for very well. It has good build but not the most expensive. Interesting that Beneteau purchased a similar builder in the US in Glastron, Four Winns, Wellcraft, and Scarab. Venerable value builder. I look forward to seeing some Beneteau manufactured in the US and think the grouping of the two entities will be very good for both sides worldwide. Suddenly Beneteau gets the US dealer network and Glastron and Four Winns get the worldwide network.

The Swift Trawler to me is a great loop boat and a very good coastal and bay cruiser. It is not the boat I'd want to take offshore in the PNW or cruise down the west coast. There's nowhere on the East Coast or Gulf (of Mexico) Coast, I wouldn't enjoy the boat. Even to the Bahamas would be fine with the right window as the boat has the speed to take advantage of a window.

I think the ST is an attempt to fill the void of no current day equivalent of the Bayliner models. I also believe that when they reach their objective of more stocking dealers in the US their sales will take off. Several of their US dealers have boats in stock for immediate delivery now. Unfortunately or maybe reflective of where they see their biggest openings, there are none on the West Coast yet. The nearest is either the Great Lakes or Texas.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Peter B is spot on re the PNW boat.

You can go safely to Alaska and back in a light plywood OB boat. I've done it and didn't suffer at all except for the camping lifestyle. We encountered 8' seas (head seas) and needed to keep our legs bent to absorb the shock loads. So comfort was poor but the boat did well.

People go in kayaks, rowboats with and w/o engines and sailboats .. not usually less than 24' but as Peter says waiting for weather is key. To me the downside of a fast boat is pounding and fuel burn. If one is OK w both most fast boats are a good choice especially if designed and built well.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:35 PM   #30
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Beneteau Swift - the thinnest laminate in the history of production boat building and nickel plated brass ball valves ....... suitable for protected fresh waters and inland lakes.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #31
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Peter B is spot on re the PNW boat.

You can go safely to Alaska and back in a light plywood OB boat. I've done it and didn't suffer at all except for the camping lifestyle. We encountered 8' seas (head seas) and needed to keep our legs bent to absorb the shock loads. So comfort was poor but the boat did well.

People go in kayaks, rowboats with and w/o engines and sailboats .. not usually less than 24' but as Peter says waiting for weather is key.
Yes they do...

Race to Alaska |

Old 05-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #32
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I helped out with a local ST44 purchase. I felt the quality and layout were sorta ok. What spooked me was all the systems were Euro parts, most of which I had never seen before. Chargers, pumps, valves, shaft seals, breakers, switches, everything Euro. I imagine the quality is fine, but if you have to replace anything, the US market is not used to stocking them.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #33

City: Portage
Vessel Model: Temporary between boats
Having owned a Beneteau sailboat and looked at ST 34, 44, and 50 at boatshows, my conclusions were that the 34 is too small with a short range for my needs and wants. The 44 is better size and range wise. Given that it costs around 400k Euros with decent option set, I think it would be very tempting when/if the dollar exchanges for 1.2 - 1.3 Euro and the exchange factor is fully propagated into the US price. At about $560k, the price does not correspond to the quality, as far as I am concerned.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Beijing, PRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Having owned a Beneteau sailboat and looked at ST 34, 44, and 50 at boatshows, my conclusions were that the 34 is too small with a short range for my needs and wants. The 44 is better size and range wise. Given that it costs around 400k Euros with decent option set, I think it would be very tempting when/if the dollar exchanges for 1.2 - 1.3 Euro and the exchange factor is fully propagated into the US price. At about $560k, the price does not correspond to the quality, as far as I am concerned.
Act quickly, as the current exchange rate gets you a €400K boat for the low price of $440K!
Dubnuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #35
FF
Guru

Be sure a Euro build is in compliance with US requirements , If you need insurance.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 02:03 PM   #36

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Review of the Beneteau Swift 34

Beneteau¬*Swift Trawler 34 (2015-)¬*2015¬* Reviews,performance,compare,price,warranty, specs,Reports,Specifications Layout, video | BoatTEST.com
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #37
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Typical BoatTest sales puffery with virtually no critical thought and very little real information.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #38
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Typical BoatTest sales puffery with virtually no critical thought and very little real information.
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #39
Guru

Use boat review sites to gather specific information about a boat. However, don't use that site or any of the others to form an opinion as to the quality of a boat as you'll never find a negative review. They are dependent on advertising dollars. I'm not saying that critically. But there are no negative reviews. At most you may occasionally gather from a review one thing that the reviewer wished was different. I do read and enjoy reading the reviews but wouldn't make a buy/don't buy decision based on them. I especially like reviews that include test data as this one does. That is useful information.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #40
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I especially like reviews that include test data as this one does. That is useful information.
I could be mistaken but I believe the so called test data came from Beneteau.

Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, swift trawler