ZF 285A shop manual

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nightcap

Guru
Can anybody please give me a site where I can download a service (overhaul) manual for one of these drives. I'm looking at buying an ex commercial fishing boat with a trashed tranny and it's all doable financially if I can overhaul the box myself. I'm in Vanuatu (and so is the boat) so limited resources but I am a marine engineer, just need the specs.

Cheers*

Pete

BTW anyone find themselves out this way give me a holler and I'll either fix your boat or have a beer with you (or both)

ZF is like Volvo, fantastically expensive (and long long long wait ) for parts.

Look in ,"Boats and Harbors" for supplier ,

but I think you might find a factory rebuilt Twin Disc for about the price of a gasket set for a ZF

The problem is that it would be a major re-work to fit a compatible Twindisc. I would probably have to do away with the flexible coupling at a minimum. I got some info from ZF but it would make the job a lot easier if I knew bearing preloads etc. Like Volvo, they don't want anyone else servicing their precious gear.

"Like Volvo, they don't want anyone else servicing their precious gear."

That is because there are parts that require special pullers , not a hammer , and frequently re assembly with heat and dry ice.

I can easily fabricate special pullers, mandrels etc in my shop. Heat isn't a problem here, dry ice is more of one but doable. Being a Kiwi (and marine engineer and latterly Volvo mechanic) I ask how can I rather than why can't I. I will make it happen, even if I have to measure every goddamn component and factor in new bearing measurements to adjust preload on bearings. Downangle gear settings are pretty much standard redlead marking and a bit of time.

Back
Top Bottom