Old 06-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #1

ZF 220 vs Twin Disc 502

My old 502 needs rebuilding and it is obsolete. Will a ZF 220 replace it on the back of a 3208 NA engine??
Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Ask your question on boatdiesel. There are some real pros who hang out there and should know the answer.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
FF
Guru

It might , but ask current owners of ZF how long parts take.

And if you think Volvo parts are expensive,,,,

The Twin disc is worth the few bucks for a rebuild , look at Boats and Harbors for rebuilders.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #4

UPdate. What a goat rope!!! TX was smoked. Ordered appropriate kits. Than noted one gear shaft distorted from heat, seals wouldn't fit good. Mechanic picked up two used tx. but tx regbuilder wouldn't put in used parts and put his name on it. We're in Florida, nearest parts for this debacle have had to come from West coast, mainly Washington State. Twice, wrong parts sent. Finally got all the parts, put tx together and pressure test showed problem. Changed 1/2 of housing since old one showed heat damage. Pressure tested again and checked ok. Mechanic took it to his shop for install next day. Arriving at work found all the oil had leaked out. It seems the housing that was replaced was from a later model TD 502 MG. In the late 1970s a different company was building them for TD. Can't remember name but starts with P. So the seal ordered with the information on the bell housing was from the replaced housing which was a later model and took the same basic number seal but with one letter difference. Now trying to find a seal that will work with the older tx. TD Jacksonville trying to find one.

Now does the ZF tx that might fit this engine, etc. also have a history of no parts available for it?

By the way boat will be for sale as soon as we get it operational again. 1983 34LRC. I'll post it.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Guru

Sounds more like a knowledge/familiarity problem with the rebuilder than a parts availability problem.

I'm curious as to parts and labor costs as I have a pair of 502's... currently operating just fine...but just in case.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #6

Skidgear I will let you know as soon as we get the darn thing done and in. If you have two helms make sure the shifters are synced. Lower helm had it in gear but upper helm, apparently didn't quite have it fully engaged. Slipping and it got hot. Boat doesn't have tx pressure gages or temp gages. Clutches and gaskets about $1100 dollars thus far. Don't know what the two main gears will be.

If someone has ZF 220 experience feel free to tell me about them. Thanks

We're going to start at 39900 for the 1983 Californian 34LRC. It is going to sell, just don't know at what price. West coast boats are a lot more but that is west coast not Florida.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Guru

Thanks. I'll double check that both helm levers put it in the proper detents on the transmission. Good advice. Wonder if that would show up on the pressure gages.... Good luck with it.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Figther
What 3208 do you have? which version? If it is a top one, 400s HP, the ZF220 will not fit, it had to be a ZF280 or a top ZFW220. Expensive toys
Old 08-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Fighter
I have a spec sheet from the ZFW220. You can check your technical probabilities with it. Check it out!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ZF_W220[1].pdf (319.3 KB, 98 views)