ZDDP - difference in brand quality?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
Getting ready to do a flush and fill on the new to me Crusaders and saw that ZDDP is a must for older engines. These are 1981 engines and it has been said that adding ZDDP will help to prolong them from any pre mature wear. This was a package I was looking at on Amazon,
Rislone 4401 Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment ZDDP - 32 oz. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Thoughts? Are they all the same? This large 32oz bottle just over $10 seems like a good deal

Eastwood (EW12269Z-12PK) ZDDP Oil Additive - 4 oz., (Case of 12) : Amazon.com : Automotive

My plan is to change out every 30-50 hours which should equate to about every six months of operation with 10W-40 Delo.

All these options to oil is a little :banghead: but well worth the effort!

OOps, I finished reading the Rislone and it requires the full bottle in leau of a quart of regular oil. I don't like that option. I guess then is there a difference in the smaller more concentrated versions say in the 4 oz bottles?

I would go with the 15W40 delo and change it at the end of the season and after 50 hours in the summer.

Some people enjoy doing an oil change if that is you have at it my friend it won't hurt a thing except your wallet.

An oil change costs me about $60.00. oil and filter. And then every dang time I get in the ER I find something else to spend money on. Then I'm fixing this or that it means I miss a trip.
It took me a while to figure it out. Now most repairs are done on the hook any where but the Marina.

SD

I agree with Pau Hana and Skiperdude.
A little bit of a product may be good, but that does not mean a whole bunch more will make it better.

Sometimes the hype to sell products such as ZDDP - Zinc dialyldithiophosphate, which is an additive in many motor oils reaches the level of "snake oil." The EPA studies show that motor oils contain from 1-3% ZDDP which is sufficient to properly lubricate reciprocating engines and not pose an environmental threat. ZDDP at higher levels does pose health concerns and in the case of automobiles, the manufactures say, it can cause damage to the catalytic converter.

As suggested, use a good motor oil, such as Rotella or Delo, a good filter, and change the oil as recommended by the manufacture. You should be good to go.

P.S. Be sure and wear appropriate gloves when changing your oil, no skin contact as it is a biohazard.
LB

Last edited:
There have been huge improvements in lube oil since 1980 , 30 years !!!

Using a fuel addative may make sense as fuel is a cheap commodity to minimum specks,

but almost 20-25% of lube oil is addatives and the goop you add may destroy many of the oil properties from modern oil.

FORGETABOUTIT

To put more interesting info into this mix of per-boater oil recommendations, experiences, and beliefs:

Due to my incessant appreciation and love for classic carbureted gasoline engines with flat tappet lifters in my classic boats and cars and trucks... I use Valvoline Premium Blue Heavy Duty Diesel 15W-40 Conventional Motor Oil with an added 4 oz of ZDDP. If oil level slightly falls between changes I top off with Lucas Oil Products Heavy-Duty Oil Stabilizer. Half way between oil changes I put in an additional 4 oz bottle of ZDDP.

Having no problems with my engines the oil mix oil stays clean for thousands of miles in my land vehicles and for 100 hours in my boats. Zinc in ZDDP works wonders to maintain lubrication barriers throughout all parts of classic gas engines.

ZDDP should not be used in any vehicle with catalytic converters – Zinc clogs/ruins them!

:socool:

Back
Top Bottom