Old 06-26-2019, 06:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Dodgeville, Wi
Vessel Name: Honu
Vessel Model: 25 foot Atlas Acadia
Yanmar oil dip stick confusion.

I have a Yanmar 4JH2-UTE and am having trouble reading the dip stick to check the oil. It seems to read differently every time I check it and reads high and low depending on which side of the stick I read. Is there a trick to getting a consistent reading?

Bob
Bob B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
No, not really. We have the same engine, and it never really shows the same level twice in a row.

Do you have the owners/operators manual? It suggests, if I remember correctly, to check the level two minutes after shut down. I also pull it in and out a couple times before taking a reading, in case some oil has sloshed up into the tube.

There is a mark scratched on our dipstick, between the low and high mark, that I believe was put there by the mechanic who installed the engine which shows the proper oil level at the particular installation angle in our boat.

I’ve learned to relax a bit over the issue, because the engine rarely needs oil added between when suggested in the manual.

You can find the owners manual, service manual, and parts catalogues for sale on the Internet.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Guru

Oh, I also put the dipstick the same direction shown in the manual, which is (if I remember correctly) with the "P" pointing towards the bow.

Welcome aboard
Old 06-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Lots of engines are like this. Just need to be consistent.

The oil level is after days shutdown will be higher. Lots of stuff drains back into the sump. Oil cooler, filters, etc.

If you do a cold start, stop the engine, then check it, level will be low. Cold oil sticks to cold metal and is very slow to drain back.

What really matters is oil level when engine is running, and most sticks don't work with engine running.

Best is to check a few minutes after a hot shutdown. If between the marks, it is good. Then come check it a few days later. It will be higher due to drain back, just note that higher level and use that as your cold check mark. Might be above full mark, that is ok.

Always pull and wipe stick before checking level. Some engines have a tube and level will not settle unless stick is pulled.

If sides of stick show different readings, try rotating to a different position. Tend to believe the highest reading as tube might wipe some oil off. But oil does not crawl uphill!!

Amazing how something so simple can end up aggravating!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
Funny question because I've beat my brain over this. I tended to believe the lowest reading - thinking there might be oil in the tube that transferred to the dipstick. Now I'm just not sure and am averaging.

I hope some expert weighs in on this. Oh, I face the "P" forward also since that's what's shown in the manual - but it doesn't seem to help my reading.
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Dodgeville, Wi
Vessel Name: Honu
Vessel Model: 25 foot Atlas Acadia
MurrayM,

I may pm you questions about your Yanmar if you do not mind, it is difficult to find info on this particular little motor.

Thanks to all for the replies

Bob
Bob B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post

Always pull and wipe stick before checking level. Some engines have a tube and level will not settle unless stick is pulled.
I know this is the case with many of the smaller yanmars in sailboats. The dipstick does not protrude below the tube and there is a rubber seal at the top of the dipstick so the tube creates an airlock after the engine has been run because the level dropped while being pumped around the engine but when the engine is shut down, the tube remains full of trapped air due to the rubber seal at the top. It is alarming to pull a dipstick and not see more than a drop at the end of the stick. Took me a while to figure out why.
Gdavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:14 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B. View Post
MurrayM,

I may pm you questions about your Yanmar if you do not mind, it is difficult to find info on this particular little motor.
Sure, but don't expect too much wisdom...this is our first boat and the engine has been happy with my simply keeping to the oil/coolant/filters schedule in the manual.

Ski is the man with the answers.