Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
To Yanmar or not

I'm looking at a mid 80s Nordic Tug w a 140hp Yanmar 6 cyl engine. I talked to Cascade*(the pnw Yanmar dist) and they barely know it ever existed. The manual is no longer availible and they freely admit parts would be hard to get. Even Nordic Tug who installed the engine can't answer basic questions about them. I told the broker yesterday I didn't want the boat and he (of course) thinks I should buy it. I do very much like the boat and in this case I'd rather it had a Lehman in it. Did I say that?
Does anyone here know anything about these Yanmar engines?
The 140 has a simple turbo and the 175hp is aftercooled.
There was also talk about a 120hp NA.
They are blue in color.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
RE: To Yanmar or not

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

I'm looking at a mid 80s Nordic Tug w a 140hp Yanmar 6 cyl engine. I talked to Cascade
(the pnw Yanmar dist) and they barely know it ever existed. The manual is no longer availible and they freely admit parts would be hard to get. Even Nordic Tug who installed the engine can't answer basic questions about them. I told the broker yesterday I didn't want the boat and he (of course) thinks I should buy it. I do very much like the boat and in this case I'd rather it had a Lehman in it. Did I say that?
Does anyone here know anything about these Yanmar engines?
The 140 has a simple turbo and the 175hp is aftercooled.
There was also talk about a 120hp NA.
They are blue in color.

Eric,

Google is your friend.

Yanmar owner's manuals

Ted

O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Guru

To Yanmar or not

I once owned a Mainship with an old Perkins that was difficult for me to get parts for.
A lot of that problem had to do with the district I was located in, but the fact was it was a pia.
I also walked away from a 41 Defever that had a very old industrial Yanmar and my research* yielded nobody that had ever heard of that engine.

my advice is to stay away* or assume a repower and buy it at a price that reflects that.

-- Edited by jleonard on Thursday 13th of January 2011 01:50:57 PM
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Eric:* Boatdiesel.com has 453 different PDF files of drawings, data sheets and manuals for Yanmar's plus a forum section just on Yanmar's.*

What series engine is it?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Guru

O C Diver,My engine's not on the list.
Furthermore there's no 120, 140 or 175hp engines at all.
jleonard,
That's what's going on here * *...never heard of it or hardly know anything. They listed it at 127500 and I want it for 100000 so I'd need to get the boat at 70000. Not likely.
Larry M,
Indeed, I finally got off my lower unit and joined Boatdiesel.
The 175hp is 6PHMHTE. That's what the 175hp broker says.
The boat I want has the 140hp engine.
Thanks very much everyone.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

O C Diver,
My engine's not on the list.
Furthermore there's no 120, 140 or 175hp engines at all.
jleonard,
That's what's going on here ...never heard of it or hardly know anything. They listed it at 127500 and I want it for 100000 so I'd need to get the boat at 70000. Not likely.
Larry M,
Indeed, I finally got off my lower unit and joined Boatdiesel.
The 175hp is 6PHMHTE. That's what the 175hp broker says.
The boat I want has the 140hp engine.
Thanks very much everyone.

Eric,

Sorry, that page was from Boatdiesel.com and I just assumed you would search the site when you got the model number. Never looked to see if your engine was there.

Ted

O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
FF
Guru

The second question is what tranny is used?

If its Yannmar a engine swop will cost an extra few grand to get a better , easier to hook up to unit.

A good swop , should be under $10K if you do the swing.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #8
Guru

"The 175hp is 6PHMHTE. That's what the 175hp broker says.
The boat I want has the 140hp engine"

It's been a while but that 140 hp engine sounds like it may be the same one I*stayed away from.
It was an industrial engine, suposedly very strong, and that was all I could find out about it. That includes a few e mails to Tony Athens on boatdiesel as well as talking to local Yanmar dealers and shops.*I did find that at least some parts were available thru a warehouse in Chicago. I just refused to get back into that kind of a situation.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Guru

Jay,I wonder if it was blue. Never seen a blue Yanmar before.

Thanks everyone for the help. Iv'e passed on this boat and the rest of my boat hunting effort is about dead too. Don't want to leave home in the winter either but in spring the prices may be back up. Unless fuel is $5 a gallon. China has become the world's largest consumer of oil and perhaps in a year or two we'll be #3. Looks like big increases in fuel costs is inevitable and what if our government starts taxing fuel to limit consumption like European nations have been doing for decades. And what if the big oil fields on the Arctic slope in central Russia turn out to be really really big. Not unlikely to happen and if all the domino's fall in the same direction (less likely) we will be well past $5 fuel. Perhaps I'm trying to talk myself into keeping the Willard.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Jay,
I wonder if it was blue. Never seen a blue Yanmar before.

Thanks everyone for the help. Iv'e passed on this boat and the rest of my boat hunting effort is about dead too. Don't want to leave home in the winter either but in spring the prices may be back up. Unless fuel is $5 a gallon. China has become the world's largest consumer of oil and perhaps in a year or two we'll be #3. Looks like big increases in fuel costs is inevitable and what if our government starts taxing fuel to limit consumption like European nations have been doing for decades. And what if the big oil fields on the Arctic slope in central Russia turn out to be really really big. Not unlikely to happen and if all the domino's fall in the same direction (less likely) we will be well past $5 fuel. Perhaps I'm trying to talk myself into keeping the Willard.
********* You have a great boat, why not keep her?*** Besides you can keep all your new
**********boat money in your boat expenses fund.

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #11
FF
Guru

"we will be well past $5 fuel."

So what? On a displacement hull by simply slowing down a bit the fuel cost can be brought into line.

A small investment like a cruising prop may help if the boat has a stoopid sized engine.

Even if the gov FINALLY gets with the program and frees up the 85% of US energy sources that are off limits , and drops the expensive in fuel burn "clean the last .5%" of exhaust fuel will be at world market price for most of your lifetime.

Is the difference between $2.00 and $5.00 that big a deal?

Die Broke , less for the State to confiscate.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:07 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

I have seen a blue yanmar(the 175hp version) in a Nova Sundeck 42.

My wife is a Yanmar dealer. She says when she gets stumped, she goes to Torresen Marine or Old Port Marine. I went to both of their sites and couldn't find anything. But you my try calling them and seeing if they know anything. Also, Mack Boring is a large distributor in this county. These are all distributor companies and I don't think they do retail but they may be able to shed some light on the issue. Also weigh their opinion based on their desire to sell new engines......
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
Guru

Thanks very much for your input here John. This shows the power of Trawler Forum.*We know what we know but we also have, to a great extent what many others know and that is a great deal indeed.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:04 AM   #14
Guru

Mack B was one of the places I called about the engine at the time and they had nothing to offer..

I never saw the engine so I don't know what color it was.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #15

I have a mid 80's Nordic Tug with a Yanmar ^PHM-HTE engine if you want further info let me know
citroen2cv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
Guru

Su,
Do you really have a Citroen 2 cyl car? Never even ridden in one of them.
Yea** ...I was looking at Nordic Tugs. One w a 175hp Yanmar and one w a 140hp Yanmar.
Both engines are 6cyl and blue in color. I was told by someone there also was a 120hp version of this engine. As far as I can tell the 120 is naturally aspirated, the 140 has a simple/basic turbo and the 175 is turbo and aftercooled. I've been led to believe the 120 and the 140 can be run on slow bell without difficulties but the after cooled 175 should be run harder most all the time or the after cooling will give problems. That said the biggest problem as I see it is getting parts for the engine. I called around about the engine and even a Yanmar distributor hardly knew of their existence. I imagine one could get parts but it looks like most parts would be special order. The broker w the 175hp NT said "it's got lots of power". The 140hp NT is a beautiful boat and I haven't looked at it for quite a while but what do you know that would enlighten me. Basically is it something I should stay away from or embrace???
If you have one please show us a picture of the Citroen.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #17
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Eric

Nordic Tug is hungry right now. You might ask them the cost to repower the vessel. Then subtract that price from*fair market/Eric guesstimate*value of the boat and make your offer.

A few years ago I chartered a 32 NT with the Cummins. I believe that is pretty much the engine of choice for NT in the 32. Great boat and great engine.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #18
Guru

Well Tom I don't think that would put it in the cost effective category however an 80hp John Deere in a 32 Nordic would sure be nice.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #19

City: Pittsburg, CA
Vessel Name: NoMoBoat
Vessel Model: Trawlers
Yanmar 6 PHM-TE

I have been hankering to up-size now for awhile and ran across a nice option, but it has this old 6 PHM-TE in it - I'm suspicious.
She is a bit over-priced anyway, but is a boat and by a popular broker, so not surprised.

Eric, (or anyone who would like to chime in) have you obtained any more info or affirmation as to whether you would walk to one of these with your eyes open today?

I currently have an old Volvo, and having known then what I know now about them, I might not have been so eager....
She has been a great engine, but the reputation for acquiring parts and the cost is Well deserved.

The last thing I want to do is to pay dearly to get into an even worse engine support situation.
I poked around Boat Diesel and searched on the web, but it is not looking good. Frankly, based on this engine, she might be worth half what they are asking, provide the engine runs well today.

Any further input would be much appreciated.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #20
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
That old, blue Yanmar (if it really is a Yanmar with that color) can be replaced with a recon Cummins 6BT 210 engine for something in the mid $20Ks for engine and tranny plus maybe $10K for prop, stringer mods, mounts and installation. Say $35K turnkey.

Figure that when done that boat will have a world class engine that will last forever which should give it substantial resale value, but maybe only half of what you put into it.

So can you buy that boat for $17K less than others on the market with a good, well supported engine, not half as you say. Do you want to go through the repower hassle.

Popular broker or not, he should understand reality. A no support engine is a real liability.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote