Yanmar - Mobil 1 Synthetic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can't go wrong with Rotella T 15W40. It is the standard here on the Maine coast with the commercial boats.

And I think RPM Dello is on the west coast ....
You can't go wrong w any of the oils talked about here including expensive synthetic ... that I can recall. Straight 30W high quality diesel engine lube oil is the most suitable but road vehicle use oil is obviously the most popular. And fortunately few if any would suffer from using it. Lots of things (including presedents) are chosen by popularity. Subjectivity and objectivity don't abound in equal amounts it seems.

Funny in my numerous (to many according to my wife) hobbies and most seem to have a combustion engine in it, all forums have the exact same debate and yet very little real empirical evidence from the average user.
Empirical evidence indeed! If anyone starts producing that rubbish, an infinite debate could be under threat.

Empirical evidence indeed! If anyone starts producing that rubbish, an infinite debate could be under threat.

Because MarlinMike said...
"Funny in my numerous (to many according to my wife) hobbies and most seem to have a combustion engine in it, all forums have the exact same debate and yet very little real empirical evidence from the average user."

Ah yes, that veritable fount of knowledge, empirical evidence....

dictionary.reference.com/browse/empirical
empirical em·pir·i·cal (ěm-pēr'ĭ-kəl) adj. Relying on or derived from observation or experiment. Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment. Of or being a philosophy of medicine emphasizing practical experience and observation over scientific theory.

Empirical | Definition of empirical by Merriam-Webster
1. : originating in or based on observation or experience <empirical data> 2. : relying on experience or observation alone often without due regard for system and theory <an empirical basis for the theory>

empirical - definition of empirical in English from the Oxford dictionary
Based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic: they provided considerable empirical evidence to support ..

empirical - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com
If knowledge is empirical, it's based on observation rather than theory. To do an empirical study of donut shops, you'll need to visit every one you can find.

In short, empirical evidence is about the only evidence ever put up on here... :lol:

Last edited:
empirical - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com
If knowledge is empirical, it's based on observation rather than theory. To do an empirical study of donut shops, you'll need to visit every one you can find.

18ct2yyb3ukobpng.png

PeterB,
Then scientific empirical knowledge = knowledge derived from three or more experiments relying on objective observation .... and one could add three or more objective observers ect ect ect.

So we have here almost no emprical knowledge on the benifits or downsides of synthetic v/s dino oil or MV v/s straight wt oil since no failures or extreme benifits have been observed. And some observers may not be objective or even honest. Do we know nothing? Like anchor tests. We don't know about holding power unless we can muster up 5,000lbs of tension on a line, chain or cable. But re setting we have an incredible knowledge base as collectively we've anchored thousands of times over many years. But little has been recorded or even comunicated.

As with most or all forums we live in a world of opinions and ideas. Not good enough for some. But compared to living in the dark ...................
We are very fortunate to have eachother. And our imaginations.

Yanmar has taken all the guess work out of this "question." But that would be no fun.

If I wanted to put oil on my anchor to make it slide into the bottom easier and keep it from rusting which brand would be best?

If I wanted to put oil on my anchor to make it slide into the bottom easier and keep it from rusting which brand would be best?

You want to add an additional environmental hazard to your existing environmental hazard?

Actually just buying a polished or chrome plated anchor probably would penetrate better than an oiled anchor. But if you're into oil better make it a single weight oil w the highest viscosity you can find. come to think of it the highest viscosity oil I can think of is 95W140 gear oil. But now that I think of THAT ... The bottom sand ect may stick to the oil and thus the anchor and actually impeed penetration. Better start thinking of ArmorAll or something like it. Silicone.

actually just buying a polished or chrome plated anchor probably would penetrate better than an oiled anchor. But if you're into oil better make it a single weight oil w the highest viscosity you can find. Come to think of it the highest viscosity oil i can think of is 95w140 gear oil. But now that i think of that ... The bottom sand ect may stick to the oil and thus the anchor and actually impeed penetration. Better start thinking of armorall or something like it. silicone.

ky jelly ?

Back
Top Bottom