Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #21
TF Site Team
 
Baker's Avatar
 
City: League City, Tx
Country: Texas
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
No practical difference between a 40 grade and a 50 grade oil? Then why make two different grades? The difference is the viscosity at operating temperature. Engines are designed to use oils of a specific grade. Using a 40 grade oil in an engine designed to use a 30 grade is just the wrong way to go. Some folks believe that a higher grade oil is better to use in higher ambient temperatures because it stays thicker. Yes, at operating temperature it does stay thicker, thicker than what the engine was designed for. Remember, regardless of the ambient temperature, an engine, barring extremes boaters do not see, will run at its design temperature as regulated by the thermostat. That means the oil will be at the same viscosity at operating temperature REGARDLESS of the ambient temperature. Hence, using the 40 grade oil is not good. At operating temperature, the 40 grade will be too thick. And don't quote me Bob Smith. He is not a petroleum engineer. This is science folks.
While coolant temperature(your reference to the thermostat) does have an impact on the temperature of the oil, it is ultimately the efficiency of the oil cooler that determines the temperature of the oil. IOW, just because the coolant temp is 180 degrees does not mean the oil temp is the same. With that said, your point is taken. The oile temp will remain generally the same at normal operating loads. The only reason I bring this up the Yanmar in my previous boat had a very good oil cooler and I always had a hard time getting the oilt temp hot enough to change the damn oil. I could run the damn thing under full load and full throttle but I had to go thru a 5 minute no wake zone back to my slip and by the time I got there, the oil was cool to the touch. I could put the dipstick on the inside of my forearm without discomfort.....no s**t!!!!
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Prairie 29...Perkins 4236...Sold
Mainship Pilot 30...Yanmar 4LHA-STP...Sold
Carver 356...T-Cummins 330B
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:18 PM   #22
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,879
Yanmar 6ly series uses sea water oil cooler with no thermostatic control. The oil stays very cool, nowhere near the 200-220F that the coolant cooled oil coolers see, like Cat and Cummins and Detroit. Even cooler if running light load in cool sea temp. So with cool oil like that, the viscosity of most available oils will be way high. How high depends on each oil's temp vs viscosity curve.

If I was running a Yanmar at light load, I'd probably go with Rotella T 10w-30 dino oil. Provided that was ok per the manual specs.

There is no good reason to run a 15W-50 in a sea water oil cooled Yanmar in trawler service.
__________________

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:21 AM   #23
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
The predominant opinion on boatdiesel reflects David's comments above.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:25 PM   #24
Guru
 
City: kemah
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
There is no good reason to run a 15W-50 in a sea water oil cooled Yanmar in trawler service.
I agree with that but I would also add theres no good reason to not run 15-50 either. The 15 wt. rating is more than enough to allow full performance with a sea cooled engine.

I myself would tend towards Shells Rotella T with a 5-40 rating, but only to get the lower wt rating to let me go to the north pole before it melts.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:44 AM   #25
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,668
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Use any diesel rated oil you want.
The voice of reason...ain't that the truth...God you guys are anal over oil...
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:22 AM   #26
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,512
"Sorry to disagree, FF, but you have it 180 degrees off course on the properties of synthetic oil. You say that synthetics drain really well and leaving metal surfaces open to rust. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. It is the dino oil that drains away and leaves surfaces dry."

When you tire of reading advertising hype , perhaps Googling long term engine storage ,

and also Vapour Phase Inhibitor oil.

reading http://www.cortecvci.com/Publications/Papers/05325.pdf will clear it up.

The simplest solution proposed would be to dip one bright nail in your synthetic and a second in whatever dyno oil you find.

Leave them out to rust for a few weeks,, ENJOY!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:56 AM   #27
Guru
 
City: Fort Myers
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 953
Funny in my numerous (to many according to my wife) hobbies and most seem to have a combustion engine in it, all forums have the exact same debate and yet very little real empirical evidence from the average user.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Ex Sailor's Avatar
 
City: Toronto
Country: Canada
Vessel Model: Kha Shing 40
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 175
We too just got our new ( to us ) boat with twin Cummins 210 HP @ 2500 hrs. on them and the boat came with a ton of Shell Rotella 15 - 40 oil. I am a fan of Synthetics but don't know if I should mess with what was used previously.
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #29
Guru
 
TDunn's Avatar
 
City: Maine Coast
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 669
You can't go wrong with Rotella T 15W40. It is the standard here on the Maine coast with the commercial boats.
TDunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #30
Guru
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,406
Jack
You've touched on a hot topic - anchors next????

If you haven't seen it here's another oil related post w/ 100 +/- opinions

IMHO - The most informative article I've seen on the topic is the attached
Best Lubricants for Yacht Engines

I have decided to stick w/ Dino straight 30 wt rated CF-4 or CI-4 (but not the newer CJ-4). Based on the latest Yanmar recommendation I could find which is 2012.

and if you are looking for reading material I've compiled a list of related article links - also see attached - just noticed some of the links don't work - I'll attach the TDR 55 & 76 pdf's as well
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Best lubricants for yacht engines.pdf (366.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf Oil & Filter Report Links.pdf (219.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf TDR55_LubeOilMyths.pdf (2.55 MB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf TDR76_LubeOil2012.pdf (2.16 MB, 18 views)
__________________
Don
MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #31
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
You can't go wrong with Rotella T 15W40. It is the standard here on the Maine coast with the commercial boats.

And I think RPM Dello is on the west coast ....
You can't go wrong w any of the oils talked about here including expensive synthetic ... that I can recall. Straight 30W high quality diesel engine lube oil is the most suitable but road vehicle use oil is obviously the most popular. And fortunately few if any would suffer from using it. Lots of things (including presedents) are chosen by popularity. Subjectivity and objectivity don't abound in equal amounts it seems.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #32
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
Funny in my numerous (to many according to my wife) hobbies and most seem to have a combustion engine in it, all forums have the exact same debate and yet very little real empirical evidence from the average user.
Empirical evidence indeed! If anyone starts producing that rubbish, an infinite debate could be under threat.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:06 AM   #33
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,668
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Empirical evidence indeed! If anyone starts producing that rubbish, an infinite debate could be under threat.
Because MarlinMike said...
"Funny in my numerous (to many according to my wife) hobbies and most seem to have a combustion engine in it, all forums have the exact same debate and yet very little real empirical evidence from the average user."

Ah yes, that veritable fount of knowledge, empirical evidence....

dictionary.reference.com/browse/empirical
empirical em·pir·i·cal (ěm-pēr'ĭ-kəl) adj. Relying on or derived from observation or experiment. Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment. Of or being a philosophy of medicine emphasizing practical experience and observation over scientific theory.

Empirical | Definition of empirical by Merriam-Webster
1. : originating in or based on observation or experience <empirical data> 2. : relying on experience or observation alone often without due regard for system and theory <an empirical basis for the theory>

empirical - definition of empirical in English from the Oxford dictionary
Based on, concerned with, or verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic: they provided considerable empirical evidence to support ..

empirical - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com
If knowledge is empirical, it's based on observation rather than theory. To do an empirical study of donut shops, you'll need to visit every one you can find.

In short, empirical evidence is about the only evidence ever put up on here...
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #34
Guru
 
City: kemah
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
empirical - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com
If knowledge is empirical, it's based on observation rather than theory. To do an empirical study of donut shops, you'll need to visit every one you can find.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #35
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,701
PeterB,
Then scientific empirical knowledge = knowledge derived from three or more experiments relying on objective observation .... and one could add three or more objective observers ect ect ect.

So we have here almost no emprical knowledge on the benifits or downsides of synthetic v/s dino oil or MV v/s straight wt oil since no failures or extreme benifits have been observed. And some observers may not be objective or even honest. Do we know nothing? Like anchor tests. We don't know about holding power unless we can muster up 5,000lbs of tension on a line, chain or cable. But re setting we have an incredible knowledge base as collectively we've anchored thousands of times over many years. But little has been recorded or even comunicated.

As with most or all forums we live in a world of opinions and ideas. Not good enough for some. But compared to living in the dark ...................
We are very fortunate to have eachother. And our imaginations.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #36
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,355
Yanmar has taken all the guess work out of this "question." But that would be no fun.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #37
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Yanmar has taken all the guess work out of this "question." But that would be no fun.



gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #38
Guru
 
READY2GO's Avatar
 
City: Marathon, Florida
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 521
If I wanted to put oil on my anchor to make it slide into the bottom easier and keep it from rusting which brand would be best?
__________________
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." Mark Twain

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #39
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Country: United States
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
If I wanted to put oil on my anchor to make it slide into the bottom easier and keep it from rusting which brand would be best?
You want to add an additional environmental hazard to your existing environmental hazard?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #40
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
If I wanted to put oil on my anchor to make it slide into the bottom easier and keep it from rusting which brand would be best?
Actually just buying a polished or chrome plated anchor probably would penetrate better than an oiled anchor. But if you're into oil better make it a single weight oil w the highest viscosity you can find. come to think of it the highest viscosity oil I can think of is 95W140 gear oil. But now that I think of THAT ... The bottom sand ect may stick to the oil and thus the anchor and actually impeed penetration. Better start thinking of ArmorAll or something like it. Silicone.
__________________

__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012