Yanmar 315 leaking water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

altouchet

I have a 2004 Mainship Pilot 30 II with the 315 Yanmar. I noticed raw water dripping from the vents on the side of the water pump after shutting the engine down. It does not seem to drip when the engine is running. So far it's running in the normal temp range.
Do I need to rebuild the pump and change the seals? Can I do this without any special tools to pull the seals? I see there is a repair kit available.

Yes, the pump seals are leaking. Don't delay in fixing it as raw water leaking out the seals can sometimes migrate back into the engine.

I would replace both the bearing and seals. It takes a bearing press to get them out and back in. Some auto parts shops have a press that you can use (but I am remembering from 40 years ago, so maybe not today).

David

Some snap ring pliers may be needed to remove the snap ring that holds in the seal.

Most better auto parts stores have bearing presses, but you can do it with either an arbor press (at most cheap tool stores), or a bearing driver. Bearing driver is a set of tools with a punch and tooling that fits most bearings and seals.

Attachments

• bearing driver.jpg
    bearing driver.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 48
  • arbor press.jpg
    arbor press.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom