Old 12-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Worse Filters Ever!!

Got this from Crusty:

I use NAPA Gold on my boat, but Fram on my truck. Not anymore!!!

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
Amazing.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Great video.

Now what about the filters for our specific engines....

Who makes the Yanmar filters for Yanmar.... etc?
Old 12-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I use Wix, whether sold through NAPA or elsewhere. On Cummins and Cat, use OEM. About the same price, and don't like messing around.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Crap, I have been using Fram filters for years thinking they were as good as anything out there. I really like the non slip grip on the can and not needing a wrench to change them, but guess I will be switching to NAPA Gold from now on...

I have used WIX on my Yanmar when I couldn't find Yanmar filters. It's nice to know they are well made! I may just cut open the one Fram I have for my F-250 to verify his study. It would be otherwise hard to just put it on and use it...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I use Wix, whether sold through NAPA or elsewhere. On Cummins and Cat, use OEM. About the same price, and don't like messing around.
I use NAPA on my 3208T/A. What get me is the 3208 filters are hugh, while the NAPA Gold filter for my Genny is tiny and 3 times more expensive!!

I was looking for the gold, but couldn't find any....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
PO used Napa Gold, so I did too...lucky me
Old 12-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
I thought he did a pretty good job on the comparing. I might just message him and see if he would do a diesel motor comparison.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #9

City: Kiln,MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I use NAPA on my 3208T/A. What get me is the 3208 filters are hugh, while the NAPA Gold filter for my Genny is tiny and 3 times more expensive!!

I was looking for the gold, but couldn't find any....

Lol you should see the normal 1R-1808. It holds just under 1 gal of oil.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
I have done regular oil testing on my personal cars and my boats for at least 15 years. I used to use Fram filters. I understand that Fram filters are made of garbage, but never did I have an oil report that showed excessive or even elevated oil contaminants - whether using Fram or other much more highly thought of filters. So, while I no longer use Fram, I don't think they *work* as poorly as they seem to be constructed.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Glad I’m not using Fram, but I never guessed they were junk. Good, informative test! Thanks for posting this.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I use NAPA /Wix. If buying quantities, Fleetfilter.com has good pricing.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #13

City: Albany, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Tranquility
Vessel Model: Trojan F32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
I have done regular oil testing on my personal cars and my boats for at least 15 years. I used to use Fram filters. I understand that Fram filters are made of garbage, but never did I have an oil report that showed excessive or even elevated oil contaminants - whether using Fram or other much more highly thought of filters. So, while I no longer use Fram, I don't think they *work* as poorly as they seem to be constructed.

Ken
I think you make a point here. Someone should do a comparison test of oil filters doing an oil analysis test of each one for a period of time. This would
truely show which filters are better than others. This video just show the construction of each one.
Myself, I always used the NAPA Gold.
kenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #14
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I use NAPA /Wix. If buying quantities, Fleetfilter.com has good pricing.

Ted

^^^^
Been buying Wix/NAPA for years from them. Never a problem.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:13 PM   #15

City: PNW/Seattle-ish
Vessel Name: M/V Peter Iredale ;)
Vessel Model: rusting hulk
That guy’s methodology is pathetic, and conclusions useless. I guess anyone’s an expert on the Internet

As someone who has cut open a number of new and used filters for analysis, two things leap out to me:

A) rust on uncoated interior surfaces is first off irrelevant, and secondly a function of storage conditions more than production. He didn’t explain how he controlled for that, and I don’t think it even entered his mind to do so.

B) only a rank idiot uses a side grinder to cut open oil cans - chain cutters and specialized, non-destructive cutters are widely, cheaply available. The damage to the Fram media is most likely from nickng it.

Other points that elude him are that the mark of a filter are results after use, and not first impressions. The Purolators are known to have horrible tearing problems with their media, so any superficial comparisons to the Fram are ridiculous simplifications. Fram did have a problem in the not-too-distant past, but resolved it. Purolator just ignores it.

The Wix XP and NAPA Gold are for all intents and purposes, the exact same filter off the same assembly line. He also compares those two “premium” filters to the base Fram instead of the corresponding filters from the Wix line.

I infact would never use the base model Fram myself, but that was just boisterous amusement he he produced for self promotion, it wasn’t anything truly useful.

Open a Fram Ultra filter, or run filtration and longevity tests on it, and then say that all Fram filters are bad... (that model is perhaps the finest lube filter on the market right now). Wix can only dream of meeting their filtration efficiency and longevity.

Most filters will do the job when they meet the required specifications. But that “comparison” was sloppy theater and not anything remotely valuable.

If anyone is really interested in filter comparisons and testing, the website bobistheoilguy.com is the definitive place to start gathering solid data nfo.
Civilitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I had heard a similar review, did some more checking and the better rated Frams actually did well in other testing.

Read more, one internet source or testing is usually suspect...look at anchor reviews.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #17
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I had heard a similar review, did some more checking and the better rated Frams actually did well in other testing.

Read more, one internet source or testing is usually suspect...look at anchor reviews.
Do you mean my anchor is not the best? [emoji14]

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:49 PM   #18
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Not changing our kitchen can opener for his. Effective,but messy.

We`ve had filter reviews before, without the chutzpah and assassination of one brand.If you go over the top like that,you expose your findings to doubt. Is he looking for "likes",clicks etc, he does say: "just click something" (or words to that effect).

In fairness, the comment about rust also went to quality control generally.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:49 AM   #19
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi,

This way, oil filters can be tested more accurately and find real differences.

ISO 16889-2 test to measure the ability of the filter to clean dirt particles from the oil. The filtering capability of the oil filter is as follows: First, insert the filter into the test bench as it would normally be in the car lubrication system. Thereafter, the test oil begins to flow through the filter and the oil is blended with A3 test dust according to ISO 12103-1 containing particles of 1-100 micrometers in diameter.

Of these, the number of particles of 20, 25, 30, 40 and 50 micrometers was measured before and after the filter. The number difference tells you how well the filter can clean up for each size class.

The size classes have been chosen because they are extremely damaging to the engine.

These five different sizes were not criticized at the same weight, but the major ones gained a higher emphasis. The filter life was determined by the likelihood capacity and was found at the same time as the filtering capacity. Slump capacity refers to the amount of test dust that can be sprayed on the filter before it gets blocked so much that the by-pass valve is opened. The slime capacity varied very much between different filter marks.

My opinion is that currently the best oil filters are synthetic/micro class fiber media filters like Donaldson Blue, Fleetguard Strapore and Platinium Napa etc, Because they precipitate particles of cellulose media more efficiently also smaller particles removes more than 90% of contaminants that are 10 microns or larger, cellulose filters typically remove 50% or less.

The price is not at all a barrier, for example Cummins 5.9 and 6.7
https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-pr...il-filter.html

NBs

Same particel 20 micron

Syntetic filter

and selluosa
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:52 AM   #20
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilitas View Post
That guy’s methodology is pathetic, and conclusions useless. I guess anyone’s an expert on the Internet

As someone who has cut open a number of new and used filters for analysis, two things leap out to me:

A) rust on uncoated interior surfaces is first off irrelevant, and secondly a function of storage conditions more than production. He didn’t explain how he controlled for that, and I don’t think it even entered his mind to do so.

B) only a rank idiot uses a side grinder to cut open oil cans - chain cutters and specialized, non-destructive cutters are widely, cheaply available. The damage to the Fram media is most likely from nickng it.

Other points that elude him are that the mark of a filter are results after use, and not first impressions. The Purolators are known to have horrible tearing problems with their media, so any superficial comparisons to the Fram are ridiculous simplifications. Fram did have a problem in the not-too-distant past, but resolved it. Purolator just ignores it.

The Wix XP and NAPA Gold are for all intents and purposes, the exact same filter off the same assembly line. He also compares those two “premium” filters to the base Fram instead of the corresponding filters from the Wix line.

I infact would never use the base model Fram myself, but that was just boisterous amusement he he produced for self promotion, it wasn’t anything truly useful.

Open a Fram Ultra filter, or run filtration and longevity tests on it, and then say that all Fram filters are bad... (that model is perhaps the finest lube filter on the market right now). Wix can only dream of meeting their filtration efficiency and longevity.

Most filters will do the job when they meet the required specifications. But that “comparison” was sloppy theater and not anything remotely valuable.

If anyone is really interested in filter comparisons and testing, the website bobistheoilguy.com is the definitive place to start gathering solid data nfo.
Sorry, could you please provide a link as to any oil filter info on the site you identified? I did a quick check and couldn’t locate. Merely to gather solid data you know.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote