Worse Filters Ever!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Wix, whether sold through NAPA or elsewhere. On Cummins and Cat, use OEM. About the same price, and don't like messing around.

A very interesting video. To the best of my knowledge, Cummins is the only engine manufacturer that owns their own filter manufacturer, Fleetguard.

He had a filter "can opener" on the work bench, I own one of these, it's a handy tool if you are interested in what's inside filters in general, for comparison sake, and to see what's inside your specific filter. I've cut open scores of oil and fuel filters and have come to similar conclusions, the WIX/NAPA Gold is a very good after market filter, Cummins/Fleetguard and CAT filters are also excellent. Maybe the grinder was more dramatic...

The "can opener" should be used if you are assessing the contents, what's been captured, of a specific used oil filter, it's designed to open the filter without introducing metal particles.

Attachments

• 081311004.jpg
    081311004.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 47
  • 081311005.jpg
    081311005.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 081311009.jpg
    081311009.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 55
You saw it here on the internet. It must be true.

I just saw it too, I’ve always used Wix when available. I’ll now consider NAPA, probably easier to get.

Forgot Donaldson, they are the Rolls Royce of filters, truly the highest quality filter I've ever cut open.
So glad to hear that. I use Donaldson 10-micron filters in my Davco primaries. A Donaldson 9-micron is the first filter in the two on-engine filters on my Lehman 120s. The last filter is a 2-micron Racor.

I just saw it too, I’ve always used Wix when available. I’ll now consider NAPA, probably easier to get.
Wix makes many of NAPA's filters. NAPA doesn't make anything. They just re-badge.

I agree with BandB. The cost of oil filters over time is very small so I buy the manufacturers filter and sleep well at night.

Car Quest auto parts also sells re-badged Wix filters. The part numbers are the same except I recall Car Quest puts a 5 in front of them.

this or similar filter videos have been around for years. All have had the same conclusion, based on taking apart the filters before use.
I'm just not all that concerned.
Bad looking in the box has little or nothing to do with bad on the engine.
I've never had anything bad happen with a fram filter.
But having said that, filters aren't that expensive, so I use one of the others just because.

toni

I always cut my filters in half to examine their entrails, and tape them back together, before fitting them.:rolleyes:

I have done regular oil testing on my personal cars and my boats for at least 15 years. I used to use Fram filters. I understand that Fram filters are made of garbage, but never did I have an oil report that showed excessive or even elevated oil contaminants - whether using Fram or other much more highly thought of filters. So, while I no longer use Fram, I don't think they *work* as poorly as they seem to be constructed.

Ken

Sounds right to me.
Like many things I would have thought if it meets spec its all good.
I'd think people not doing change of filter and oil as recommended would be more likely to cause problems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom