Winterizing a Volvo Penta Diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacDuff

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pearl
Vessel Make
Cape Dory Trawler 28 #18
I have a Volvo Penta TAMD40B Diesel. I've only winterized small sailboat diesel engines in the past. I've changed the oil and filters already and now I'm onto the cooling system. Today I tried removing the intake hose from the seacock, running freshwater into a bucket and putting the intake hose into it. My plan was to run the engine at fast idle until it opened the thermostat. Shut the engine down and do the same with pink antifreeze until I see it exit the exhaust. Problem was, the engine sucked the water up so fast I couldn't keep the bucket filled with water long enough to get the engine warmed up. Now I'm looking at draining the engine instead. This is a new engine to me and I don't want to cause any damage when the weather gets cold. I try to do most engine work myself but fear I may be in over my head with this one. Is this something I should tackle myself or have it done by a mechanic?

The coolant side is already protected by the antifreeze. You only need to fill the raw water side with the pink stuff. Fill the bucket with the pink stuff. Start the engine (idle). When the pink stuff is all sucked out of the bucket, stop the engine and you're done. There is no need to heat the engine up for this as the raw water continuously flows through the heat exchanger and gear cooler when the engine is running.

Ted

Ted is correct.

An even simpler way that doesn't require removing the hose is to close the sea cock and open the top of the strainer. Start the engine and pour antifreeze into the strainer. The engine will suck it up. Stop when you see a strong pink color out of the exhaust.

If you aren't sure about the antifreeze strength in the coolant side, buy a tester at an auto parts store. If it is too low, then the best way is to remove the thermostat and drain some of the antifreeze. Start the engine and add 100% (not the 50% kind) antifreeze and let it circulate for a few minutes while running a water hose into the raw water strainer. With the thermostat out, it will quickly get distributed evenly.

Then check and if ok, replace the thermostat and do the raw water winterization

David

Ted & David both correct...as always :thumb:

Here's the set up I put together for winterizing.
You might try this using a 5 gal bucket instead of the gal jug to get the volume you need quickly.

Mat'ls req'd - rubber stopper (w/ hole) OD to fit strainer, Barbed fitting for stopper, hose w/ connection to the barbed ftg,

You might want to go larger hose - I use these for everything except engine - my yard does engine for me after pulling. The hose w/ fitting (w/o stopper) is used for fresh water by connecting to a 3 way bypass valve prior to FW pump.

The last pic is the way I do A/C to get a little head pressure as the A/C pump doesn't self prime well.

Attachments

• winterize 1.jpg
    winterize 1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 157
  • winterize 2.jpg
    winterize 2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 176
  • winterize 5.jpg
    winterize 5.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 159
  • winterize 4.jpg
    winterize 4.jpg