Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > Power Systems

Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #21
City: Fort Myers
A lot of good responses, some may be over thinking it, but for many it's there baby, so I get it. I buy non-toxic antifreeze at ACE hardware on sale now, buy 5 gallons for each engine and 3 gallons for gen. The fresh water side I just pour in 7 gallons into tank and run through each faucet hot and cold, shower etc. Pour non toxic antifreeze down shower drain and listen for pump to cycle a few times. Lastly I have a tee fitting and a valve for AC, attach a hose with a funnel and pour a 1/2 to 3/4 gal anti freeze until red comes out side. Disconnect batteries, and open all doors and inside hatches, little pat on the transom and go home and have a beer in front of the fire. Yes I use more antifreeze then other approaches, but I get it cheap and I disconnect nothing. Also winters are rather dry compare to Florida so unless you are leaving wrapped until June, I wouldn't be concerned as I never had a problem in over 25 year.

Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #22
Veteran Member
Vessel Name: REFUGE
Vessel Model: Performance Trawler 35
I change the oil (20 quarts) and filter yearly on my Ford Lehman 225HP Turbo at haulout time. This year, I would have used the engine only about 40 hours. Is an oil change still necessary? I don't like the idea of leaving even slightly used oil in the crankcase all winter which may contain impurities.(I also have the oil analyzed at each oil change)

Bensjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #23
City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
"I change the oil (20 quarts) and filter yearly on my Ford Lehman 225HP Turbo at haulout time. This year, I would have used the engine only about 40 hours. Is an oil change still necessary?"

Necessary - probably not. Good for the engine - absolutely. Will it make you feel better - probably (I know I would want fresh oil over the winter). Plus, you won't need to think about it again until next fall, and it will also be clean in the event you put on more hours next year. I see fresh oil as cheap insurance.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #24
City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
here's a FAQ about AGMs so David is giving good info on the AGMs...

An AGM battery when left unattended will only discharge at a rate of up to 3% per month and even after 12 months sitting idle can be recharged and put back into full service with no ill side effects. A normal wet cell battery discharges at a rate of up to 4% per week

FAQ about AGM Batteries - First Start Batteries
The 4% discharge of a lead-acid battery PER WEEK is no where near correct. We leave our boat on the hard for 5 months and when we return in the spring I am still seeing 12.6 volts, which is pretty darn close to fully charged.

It is imperative that you do disconnect the batteries and make sure they are fully charged before putting your boat away. There is no need to charge them during the winter or remove them from the boat.
ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #25
City: Essex, Ct
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Back about ten years when the diesel we bought had up to 500 ppm sulfur and back in the dark ages probably more than that, it was a good idea to change the oil for the winter so that all of the sulfur compounds built up in the oil from burning 500 ppm fuel wouldn't corrode things.

Today with diesel less than 10 ppm sulfur I don't think it matters so much anymore. Also lube oil manufacturer's are putting anti-acid and anti-corrosion additives in the oil which also helps.

Those of us who were shade tree mechanics in our youth 50 years ago will remember removing a rocker cover and finding a layer of sludge everywhere, particularly if the oil was run long and hard. No more. I don't remove many rocker covers these days, but the ones I have seen are pristine. All due to better fuels and better oils.

But there is no downside to changing oil for the winter- just time and a bit of money.

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote