Winterize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
My boat will be on the hard until Sept. in the N Myrtle Beach, SC*area. *She has twin DD4082's. Do I need to winterize the engines at this latitude?* The yard where she will*be*stored does not have their own diesel guy, so they don't know.*Would there be systems or components of the engines that should be addressed for long term*storage?

I have Nigel Calder's* diesel book and it has a pretty good section on winterizing, but it doesn't say anything about long term storage in a temperate climate (yeah, I know it get's pretty cold in SC, I was there in Dec.).* Thanks.********************************** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Monday 6th of February 2012 06:08:22 PM

The short answer is yes... as you don't want to take the chance.

This winter has been so mild it's tempting not to...but 2-3 days of near freezing temps and the nights below freezing can do damage...maybe.

No right answer but why take the chance.* last winter I left my boat in Charleston on the hard for Feb-Arpril 1st and the diesel guy gave me the same advice...maybe yes...maybe no so err to the side of caution.

As long as there is no fresh water to freeze in the engine I wouldn't worry about it to much.

You could fog the engine if you wanted but I would think it would be fine.

*I don't think you need to worry about winterizing as much as *long term storage.

I would however winterize your fresh water system. Drain it or fill it with the pink stuff. Don't forget the water heater.

SD

If your boat was in the water, you would be fine. On land, there's a good possibility of freezing depending on how close it is to the water and other factors.

I'm really surprised that the boatyard people or mechanics don't know how to deal with a diesel engine. It uses the same coolant, just more of it. Heat exchangers, the rest of the cooling system, and the potable water and waste systems are no different than any other boat.

Diesel fuel does not freeze and does not deteriorate as quickly as gasoline or E10 "fuel".

I don't know if your engines circulate sea water throughout the system or is it just the heat exchanger.

If just the heat exchanger. Just make sure it is drained of seawater.

What else is going to freeze? The engine is full of coolant. Should be good to what 20 below or there abouts.

I would look into the manufacturers specficiations for long term storage.

SD

We left our boat in South Myrtle Beach from November to mid January last year and were told to not bother with winterizing. Being from the cold northeast, we did it anyway. Just as well!!! There were a number of low teens nights during that period. Slept a lot better knowing that everything was taken care of!!
An alternative to full winterizing might be to put a small thermostatically controlled heater in the engine room, assuming that power supply is a pretty sure thing and have a dock hand check the power cord once in a while. Still need to consider any water outside of the engine room, like freshwater tanks and supply to sinks, toilets, windshield wipers, frig. etc.
Chris

It may take an hour & a 1/2 to winterize things like H2O sytem, head, etc. Might take another hour or so to run the pink stuff thru the engines. Much better than losing many hours of sleep as you watch the temps drop on TV at home. The old saying "pay me now, or pay me later" really applies here. Diesels aren't hard to take care of at all. My DD8.2's take about 6 gal of pink juice per side & they're done. Might want to plug the exhausts to keep critters & moisture out, & be sure to check the engine manual prior to start up after that long in a layup state. I'd be nervous leaving an untended heater in place; too many horror stories abound concerning that scenario. I'd also give some thought to providing a way to ventilate the ER and other closed spaces to cope with condensation as the seasons change.

Thanks. Lots of good info. I'll probably go ahead and have her winterized, keeping the*long term application in mind.***** KJ

Most engine Mfg have a guide for "engine out of service for over 30 days"

DD certainly does . This covers the engine ONLY , the sea cocks , fresh water pump .and heat exchangers are not covered.

The rest of the boat will need to be put to bed , or new FW tanks , plumbing ect as well . Don't forget the head & waste tank.

Water cooled air cond & reefers need love too.

Makes FL sound better & better!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom