Old 10-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #161
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
A lot of people make a lot of money discussing "a perfect situation"....some of us just go thru life operating in a less than perfect world and prove theory or "perfect world" is just that.

I will agree with you on that! My wife constantly reminds me to enjoy the boat rather than obsess over mechanical and cosmetic issues!

Now, I have been in a situation where I needed almost every HP from my little 29HP Volvo. Knowing that I could push my engine to near WOT without a mechanical issue was assuring and may have kept my boat from being grounded. Emergencies do happen--I try to avoid them--but they do happen.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #162
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Seriously? Why do people think every poster is a newbie?

I get all that...I am way beyond you....OK so I go to WOT and I get a slight rise in coolant temp...ot I don't get to WOT because the previous owner was smart enough to realize the boat was going to run well at 6.5 knots...not 7 or 8.

Big deal...I would rather take the chance of not doing further damage to the head gasket and run below 1800 RPM and run another 20,000 miles before I need to do something.

It's not going to change my cruising habits one bit.

I just don't but into the Kool Aid theory that I am protecting myself when I know how to handle what I have.

If I did...I might have overreacted 15000 miles ago.

If I have an emergency...I probably will get enough fot those few moments I need full throttle...if the engine goes then or overheats...so be it. But running boats commercially as log as I have...rarely is full throttle the answer to anything.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #163
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Catching a problem while it's minor and can be fixed on your terms is always better than waiting until the problem says "ok, I'm here, fix me now!"
Well said!
Old 10-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #164
Guru

City: Alexandria, VA
Vessel Model: 2000 Wellcraft
Bringing it home, when I bought it, just to see what the top speed really was, and to make sure it was propped right.

I've never had another reason to run WOT since.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #165
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
If he can reach the rated 2400 RPM (even without a measurable increase in boat speed), I'd say he's not overpropped, he's just a little overpowered.
He can’t. He states top speed as at 2200.
How’ed he get max speed at 2200 if he wasn’t overpropped?

Actually Marks boat probably isn’t overpowered. His Coot must weigh twice as much as my Willard and my Willard only has 37hp.

If Mark states his displacement we would know for sure.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #166
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
He can’t. He states top speed as at 2200.
How’ed he get max speed at 2200 if he wasn’t overpropped?

Actually Marks boat probably isn’t overpowered. His Coot must weigh twice as much as my Willard and my Willard only has 37hp.

If Mark states his displacement we would know for sure.
The way he phrased his comment made me think that 2200 was enough to get the boat to top speed and pushing it further to 2400 just burned more fuel without going faster (rather than engine rated for 2400 but can only reach 2200).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #167
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
The boat was designed/built that way. I've no complaints.
Would be interesting to hear what JD thinks about that.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #168
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post
Well said!

For a person constantly moving...not necessarily the best answer and for most of the issues..they were either routing maintenance or constant vigilance would signal the issue without ever going to WOT....

at least in my experience.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #169
Guru

Quote:
For a person constantly moving...not necessarily the best answer and for most of the issues..they were either routing maintenance or constant vigilance would signal the issue without ever going to WOT....

at least in my experience.
For a lot of issues, yes. For me, an early season WOT check is mostly for 2 things: props performing as expected? Cooling system working well enough to handle normal cruising loads once the water gets warmer?

A WOT check later in the season is primarily to confirm that the props are still clean and proper.

Outside of those 2 or so checks during the season, I'm one of those who will never push the throttles past normal cruise without a very good reason. Not worth the extra engine wear just to go a little faster.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #170
Guru

Quote:
The way he phrased his comment made me think that 2200 was enough to get the boat to top speed and pushing it further to 2400 just burned more fuel without going faster (rather than engine rated for 2400 but can only reach 2200).
I see your thinking but top speed can always be upped w a bit more power and rpm. And top speed would be the speed reached at WOT if that produced rated rpm. At 2200rpm Mark’s JD is not producing max power .. and thus won’t be at max speed.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #171
Guru

On a displacement hull, wouldn't you potentially hit a point where another bit of RPM and power comes in the form of the boat pushing a bit more water, maybe going 0.1 kt faster (potentially within measuring error) and experiencing more prop slip?
Old 10-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #172
Guru

Quote:
For a lot of issues, yes. For me, an early season WOT check is mostly for 2 things: props performing as expected? Cooling system working well enough to handle normal cruising loads once the water gets warmer?

A WOT check later in the season is primarily to confirm that the props are still clean and proper.

Outside of those 2 or so checks during the season, I'm one of those who will never push the throttles past normal cruise without a very good reason. Not worth the extra engine wear just to go a little faster.

Wow...if I didn't know the condition of my bottom or cooling system without a WOT test all year long....well I wouldn't say it to be polite.

And it keeps me from a major maintenance action maybe when I don't want it.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #173
Guru

Quote:
Wow...if I didn't know the condition of my bottom or cooling system without a WOT test all year long....well I wouldn't say it to be polite.

And it keeps me from a major maintenance action maybe when I don't want it.
I usually have a pretty good idea of both, but it's a good confirmation that I haven't missed anything. Then again, I'm usually of the opinion with engines (in boats, cars, etc.) that if I'm going to break it by going WOT for 30 seconds or a minute, it was probably already broken.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #174
Guru

Quote:
I usually have a pretty good idea of both, but it's a good confirmation that I haven't missed anything. Then again, I'm usually of the opinion with engines (in boats, cars, etc.) that if I'm going to break it by going WOT for 30 seconds or a minute, it was probably already broken.

Thousands of hours more experience and you might change your mind....some of us have been running broken boats (according to magazine and TF opinion) for much of our professional lives.

Sometimes nursing along sick equipment is OK...as long as you know it's limitations and reduce risks where max performance is necessary (outside of a few situations...rarely necessary)
Old 10-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #175
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Thousands of hours more experience and you might change your mind....some of us have been running broken boats (according to magazine and TF opinion) for much of our professional lives.

Sometimes nursing along sick equipment is OK...as long as you know it's limitations and reduce risks where max performance is necessary (outside of a few situations...rarely necessary)
You have me curious. What kind of head gasket problem do you have that WOT would mean immediate work needed but 5,000 engine hours may not.

I am guessing at your boat speed of 7 knots and using your stated 15,000 miles to date and another 20,000 miles before you will address it.
I did not think a known head gasket issue would last that long.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #176
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
You have me curious. What kind of head gasket problem do you have that WOT would mean immediate work needed but 5,000 engine hours may not.

I am guessing at your boat speed of 7 knots and using your stated 15,000 miles to date and another 20,000 miles before you will address it.
I did not think a known head gasket issue would last that long.
I have a tiny bubble stream in my coolant putting either oily soot or oil in my coolant.

It was there for maybe a couple thousand hours before I noticed it...put a new head gasket in that only lasted 100 hours and added another 1500 hours with it bubbling.

You are correct that WOT may or may not do anything...but why chance it because it is not hampering my cruising as of now?

Boat speed is usually 6-6.5 at best.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #177
Guru

In your case I'd agree with not going WOT until you're ready to figure out a permanent fix for the issue. In that situation, there's a known issue that's being worked with and more stress may make it worse.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:13 PM   #178
Guru

Quote:
I have a tiny bubble stream in my coolant putting either oily soot or oil in my coolant.

It was there for maybe a couple thousand hours before I noticed it...put a new head gasket in that only lasted 100 hours and added another 1500 hours with it bubbling.

You are correct that WOT may or may not do anything...but why chance it because it is not hampering my cruising as of now?
I remember the other thread now. If I did not say it there, may I suggest it is an exhaust manifold gasket leak, or worse the manifold itself. You replaced the head gasket because of that problem IIRC.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #179
Guru

It's also possible the head or block is just slightly warped, which caused the new head gasket to fail. If that's the case, machine shop work would be the only fix.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:17 PM   #180
Guru

Quote:
It's also possible the head or block is just slightly warped, which caused the new head gasket to fail. If that's the case, machine shop work would be the only fix.
Maybe, but less likely. any warpage would have blown out the head gasket by now as it would not be fully seated