Old 09-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #41
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I'd love to drive my car at high speed sometime. Maybe like the Bonneville Flats. Heck, I've never done more than half it's max.

s
I-75, 595, OR I-95 in Miami. No matter how fast you go, somebody will pass you.
155mph(CLK 55 AMG cabrio) is the best I've managed ,then was passed by a pack of sportbikes with girls on the back like I was sitting still!. They must have been doing 200, in a light rain, on a Friday night, in fairly heavy traffic, as they disappeared over the horizon.
Once in Miami back in the good ole days, a Highway Patrolman caught me, and offered me cash for the car(1972 280 SE 4.5)-on the spot. No tickets yet.
On the other hand , we were waiting and waiting for a Captain to show up from Ft. Lauderdale for a seatrial in Miami. Waited, waited, waited. Turned out he was in jail. Apparently the Highway Patrol thought that he should had noticed him with the lights and sirens on-for 9 miles behind him at 100 mph. Sigh, kid's , Vettes, and their cell phones.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #42
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
My engine is rated at 210 hp. The same block is used to produce close to 300 hp. I don't worry about running at WOT.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #43
Grand Vizier

Just a thought, but if you install an EGT gauge you will find that you can hit peak temperatures at around 75% of rated horsepower, which means there is zero reason ever to go to WOT unless you want to satisfy yourself you can with the prop pitch you have.

I've always likened WOT settings to see what will happen to when I was encouraged to go into a crevasse on a glacier to practice climbing out. I always declined, figuring I would rather concentrate on getting out when I accidentally fell in rather than purposely did.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #44
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I think he actually runs his engines almost 50% and that's way more than many here.
We run our engines at cruise at 1650 rpm. The manual's listed rpm for 120 hp is 2,500. The rpm band we were advised to stay in by a lot of knowledgeable people is 1500-1800. So we're right in the middle of that. That power setting with our props gives us an EGT reading of a bit under 600 degrees F. which is the same EGT reading used by the previous owners judging by the markings one of them put on the EGT dials.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #45
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
I-75, 595, OR I-95 in Miami. No matter how fast you go, somebody will pass you.
155mph(CLK 55 AMG cabrio) is the best I've managed ,then was passed by a pack of sportbikes with girls on the back like I was sitting still!. They must have been doing 200, in a light rain, on a Friday night, in fairly heavy traffic, as they disappeared over the horizon.
Once in Miami back in the good ole days, a Highway Patrolman caught me, and offered me cash for the car(1972 280 SE 4.5)-on the spot. No tickets yet.
On the other hand , we were waiting and waiting for a Captain to show up from Ft. Lauderdale for a seatrial in Miami. Waited, waited, waited. Turned out he was in jail. Apparently the Highway Patrol thought that he should had noticed him with the lights and sirens on-for 9 miles behind him at 100 mph. Sigh, kid's , Vettes, and their cell phones.
Wifey B: We don't do that on the highways. We're up to ten mph over the speed limit in some places and five in others but that's our top speed on the roads. I know it seems odd to have cars that are capable of 180 mph or so and never top 80 but we're ok with it. Not going to put the lives of others at risk. Then why have such cars? Heck if I know. We like them. They're cool.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #46
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin,
I got that from a post made by you several years ago saying you were burning 3gph on each engine. Since six is all you can consume w a Lehman that equates to a 50% load.

EGT is a good tool. I'd get one quickly if I felt the need.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Marin,
I got that from a post made by you several years ago saying you were burning 3gph on each engine.
Yeah, I'm not sure how accurate consumption estimate really is. I arrived at that number by using a "rule of thumb" formula we were given when we bought the boat by the head of engineering at Northern Lights/Lugger.

Going by the fuel gauge that reads the day tank, we are using more like 5 gph. However, using a fuel gauge to judge fuel consumption is sort of like using Stonehenge to predict the weather. It may be close, but it probably isn't.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #48
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Going by the fuel gauge that reads the day tank, we are using more like 5 gph. However, using a fuel gauge to judge fuel consumption is sort of like using Stonehenge to predict the weather. It may be close, but it probably isn't.
5 gph, is that for each engine? surely not.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #49
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
5 gph, is that for each engine? surely not.
No, the combined total. Both engines normally feed from the center 60 gallon day tank, and that tank is the one that has a fuel gauge at the helm. Our weekend cruises into the islands tend to run about six hours round trip, and by the gauge we use about 15 gallons each three hours. Thus the 5 gph figure.

The engine fuel return line valves are set to return to the day tank although FL120s return so little fuel the joke is that you could let the return lines dump straight into the drip pans and the fuel would evaporate before it became a problem.

The four 85 gallon saddle tanks that gravity feed (via manual valves) the day tank have sight gauges but they are pretty much worthless for estimating fuel usage except in really broad terms.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #50
FF
Guru

Then why have such cars? Heck if I know.

Cars are sold worldwide , some places 150mph is just fine.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #51

City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Except for emergencies there are three reasons to run pleasure rated engines at WOT for a minute or so. Test engine, hull and running gear, test the cooling system, spend money and be stupid.

How may would be happy to have their car tested at wot for 15 minutes? what would it prove?
How about fighting a 10-15 knot current on the Niagara River? We run our CAT 3116 at WOT for about 10-15 minutes to clear the the mouth of the river into Lake Erie. Sure, we can take the Black Rock bypass canal, but that is a pain, one lock and two lift bridges as opposed to a straight shot out to the lake. We have the power, so why not use it?
ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #52
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlord View Post
We run our CAT 3116 at WOT for about 10-15 minutes to clear the the mouth of the river into Lake Erie. We have the power, so why not use it?
When was the last time you had your after cooler serviced? If you say never I see a movie coming.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #53
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Omg, if the engine fails do you go over the Niagara Falls?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Omg, if the engine fails do you go over the Niagara Falls?
Not quite, it's about 15 miles down river.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #55
Guru

City: gulf coast
The same block may be built from 30 to 70 hp per liter. Running the 30 wide open is like running the 70 at half power.
Discussing or comparing max load operation without specifying hp rating is just misleading.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #56
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
ronlord,
You don't "fight" current. You either plan better or run along at a good speed for your boat and engine or go to plan B ... if you have one.

I've run for hours at less than 3 knots bucking the current and then in another hour run at 10 with the current.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #57
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Your right some engines are better than others

Quote:
Scary that was an excellent post.

An old engine that's been over used for years and not taken care of or rebuilt when it's time can't be expected to haul the mail like it did when new. Taking care of anything that wears over time is "the cost of doing business". So even though I disagree w you to some degree I'm sure you're basically right. You obviously know more about it than me but I can't buy into needing to make big adjustments to how hard you run an older engine that's been maintained properly.

And some engines are just better than others .. Not thinking of the Lehman when I say that. I remember the Chrysler cars about 1950 had soft cylinders and so so rings. Cranks and inserts not very good either. Other brands of the time were clearly a notch up.

I think Marin's over the top but not really by much. I think he actually runs his engines almost 50% and that's way more than many here.

But thanks for the great post. We need clarity and objectivity here on engines.
The old Detroit's for all their faults were engines designed to run hard and be put away wet. If your look at the size of castings for the heat exchangers and manifolds and mounted hardware it is obviously built for the long run. The engines were modular and can be built asymmetrical, the four cylinder 453 uses a balance shaft to smooth the inherent four cylinder vibration, I believe the twin does as well. They are large engines for there rated horsepower. The draw back of the 53 series is they have 4 valve heads that usually need replacement around 8000 hrs. This was the last configuration of the so called two stroke Detroit's. I've owned three cylinder, ' V6 and inline four versions of this engine. I have never had one fail to start and give me another hard day of work. The Detroit's are a true industrial engine. The JD is an another example of an industrial engine converted from a tractor engine. Typically we felt that 8000hrs was the useful working life of a JD backhoe, Usually the engine was still going strong but the rest of the tractor was getting lose and transmissions and shuttles were ready to go. The idle vibration was annoying but once off idle they are a lot more pleasant to listen to than the Detroit. We used these in lifts, loaders and backhoes. The 3208 Cat and 330B Cummins are engines that were designed for somewhat lighter duty. The 3208 was used in light duty Ford trucks and the 330B started out as a AG pump engine. The 3208 has worked out very well as a marine engine and has proven it self over time. Time will tell if the 330B has the same creds.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #58

Quote:
ronlord,
You don't "fight" current. You either plan better or run along at a good speed for your boat and engine or go to plan B ... if you have one.

I've run for hours at less than 3 knots bucking the current and then in another hour run at 10 with the current.
Well, if you want to shoot the Niagara into Lake Erie, you have to fight. The river is at is narrowest width right at the Peace Bridge, and the water never slows down on it's way to Niagara Falls. There is a canal that runs parallel to the river to avoid the current, but we would rather just run straight to the lake and skip the lock and lift bridges.

2800 rpm - 4 knots against the current
1600 rpm - 17 knots with the current

It's the only time I ever use all 300 hp that our CAT has to offer. Most of our cruising is done at 1600-1800.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:55 PM   #59
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Then why have such cars? Heck if I know.

Cars are sold worldwide , some places 150mph is just fine.
Wifey B: No, I meant why do hubby and I have such cars. hehe. But we like them. And in ten years they may both have 35000 or 40000 miles on them. They're both nearly two years old and have just over 6000 miles each.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #60
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:
ronlord,

I think the Niagra river only runs one way. Hard to plan for that. Here on the coast most currents flip with the tide, so with good planning you can time to ride it. Although I often screw that up and buck it anyway. Hate that.

Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote