Old 07-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #41
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ted and ghost,
Even if you’re overpropped (and there’s no question that you are or aren’t) you’re only overloaded at the very upper end (1 or 200rpm (or more depending on how overpropped you are)) and closer to and at your cruising speed you will not be overloaded and you will be in fact closer it ideal loading for cruise. Something FF has been promoting for years .. many years. And you will save some fuel .. fly stuff IMO but you will burn less fuel. And if done at the right rpm you’ll be better off. BUT there’s a lot of “if’s” that need to be attached to that statement to make it true. Still there’s no engine manufacturer recommending overpropping.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #42
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
So you follow all your engine manufacturer's recommendations including his brand of engine oil and only OEM parts?

Ted
Of course not.
Don’t be silly.
But I’ve been say’in it for years and nobody has ever argued w me.

Old 07-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #43
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
From an expert....
"A diesel is overloaded when the load imposed limits the rpm demanded by the governor. This is seen as the point where the governor calls for more fuel delivery but the speed can not increase. This creates combustion conditions that produce black smoke and without other instrumentation, is our first indication of an overload condition.

As long as the engine can reach or exceed the selected rpm, it is not overloaded. Period. If an engine is propped so that at a given rpm the prop absorbs less horsepower than the engine can produce on a brake (the device used to create the power curve that is shown above the prop demand curve on all those performance charts no one seems to be able to read) there is no overload, there is a power reserve. Only when the propeller demand exceeds the power available at a given rpm is there an overload.

With regard to cooling, look up "Sanky diagram" or "heat balance" to see where the heat available in a unit of fuel goes. The amount of heat lost to the exhaust is normally around the same as that lost to coolant. That does not mean the exhaust cools the engine, it just means the BTUs in the exhaust stream are about the same as that carried away by the coolant. If you consider the very large mass (around 10 pounds per second for a little 150HP engine) of the exhaust and its very high temperature, it should surprise no one that a large amount of heat goes out the exhaust. Again that does not mean it cools the engine, it is hot gas that leaves the cylinders. The amount of heat removed by the small amount of coolant in the closed loop carries just as much heat away. Also, lube oil and radiation from the block removes a considerable amount of heat. Bottom line, the claim that exhaust cools the engine is rubbish.

A turbocharged engine uses valve overlap (exhaust and intake open at the same time) to provide complete cylinder scavenging and to help cool the exhaust valves but this is in no way a major heat removal device. The very short period of overlap compared to the period when the exhaust valves are closed and transferring heat to the coolant means relatively little heat is removed during this event."
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:11 PM   #44
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Consider myself "properly" propped. Full/hull-speed is achieved 200 RPM (87% load) less than maximum RPM. Cruise at an efficient less-than-two GPH one knot (400 RPM) below hull speed (43% load). (Load based on the ratio of actual fuel consumption to maximum consumption.) No incentive here to attempt to gain the system.
Attached Thumbnails
San Joaquin River.jpg  
Old 07-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #45
Guru

Good example Mark.
I don’t know for sure if I can reach hull speed.
But I’ve never had a need to.
My cruise is 50% load .. very close to that.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #46

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
Would certainly not suit our boat which is categorised as "slow-planing".

Hull speed (9.2 kn) is achieved at 1300 rpm or 800 below max rpm and 4.7 GPH.

According to the boatdiesel prop calculator this is only 17% load (90 hp and around 2 lbs of boost) so there would be lots of scope to prop up a bit, but I am not sure the engine would be happy running much slower for any length of time.

More prop also means higher speed at idle. We're already at 5.5 Kn

I have run at 1100 rpm (8 Kn) at times but feel there is insufficient load - no turbo boost at all and temp drops to around 75 deg C.

So may not work for many planing or semi-displacement hulls.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #47
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriso View Post
I have found over the years that this calculator to be VERY accurate.

https://www.vicprop.com/displacement_size.php

Just insert the REAL numbers
Very handy, thanks.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:05 PM   #48
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
From an expert....
"A diesel is overloaded when the load imposed limits the rpm demanded by the governor. This is seen as the point where the governor calls for more fuel delivery but the speed can not increase. This creates combustion conditions that produce black smoke and without other instrumentation, is our first indication of an overload condition.

As long as the engine can reach or exceed the selected rpm, it is not overloaded. Period. If an engine is propped so that at a given rpm the prop absorbs less horsepower than the engine can produce on a brake (the device used to create the power curve that is shown above the prop demand curve on all those performance charts no one seems to be able to read) there is no overload, there is a power reserve. Only when the propeller demand exceeds the power available at a given rpm is there an overload.

With regard to cooling, look up "Sanky diagram" or "heat balance" to see where the heat available in a unit of fuel goes. The amount of heat lost to the exhaust is normally around the same as that lost to coolant. That does not mean the exhaust cools the engine, it just means the BTUs in the exhaust stream are about the same as that carried away by the coolant. If you consider the very large mass (around 10 pounds per second for a little 150HP engine) of the exhaust and its very high temperature, it should surprise no one that a large amount of heat goes out the exhaust. Again that does not mean it cools the engine, it is hot gas that leaves the cylinders. The amount of heat removed by the small amount of coolant in the closed loop carries just as much heat away. Also, lube oil and radiation from the block removes a considerable amount of heat. Bottom line, the claim that exhaust cools the engine is rubbish.

A turbocharged engine uses valve overlap (exhaust and intake open at the same time) to provide complete cylinder scavenging and to help cool the exhaust valves but this is in no way a major heat removal device. The very short period of overlap compared to the period when the exhaust valves are closed and transferring heat to the coolant means relatively little heat is removed during this event."

RickB lives. Good info, but delivered in traditional condescending tone.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:20 PM   #49
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Most of my life I had over propped engines except in (real) tugs. And they were all singles. I don't normally use the top 20% of hp in turbo engines in order to extend the time between rebuilds. In naturals it usually doesn't matter because they don't get the high exhaust temps. If you're always running at below peak hp, then you get a really good mileage benefit by over propping and still keep some of the former wot speed. For me it's been more than 10% better mileage. But obviously you can't run at wot for anything more than short periods and you will probably have black smoke. But they do maneuver better (the way I maneuver). Because the prop throws more water, I rarely did more than just shift in and out of gear at idle.

I had at least 6 vessels that had 2 or more sets of props. All were twins. Two of those I knew the later history of had the stock props reinstalled and then after a time went back to the larger props, but I didn't hear the details of why.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #50
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
The terms "overpropped" and "underpropped" are a bit sloppy as technical terms in trawler type boats. But useful. Very useful and important for planing boats.

On a trawler type boat, most operate with engines significantly more powerful than needed for cruising. Lots of trawlers run their engines at like 30-50% of what they are capable of. Like a Lehman 120 burning 3gph when at full power it is like 7gph. On a sportfish, engines typically run around 80% of max. Also those are turbo and charge air cooled. On a sporty you have to have the propping right.

On a sporty, if you can make a little over rated rpm at full power, then at cruise you can be pretty certain the engine is at a happy load spot.

On a trawler, it is different. Most are not capable of planing, so as you increase power up to full power, the shaft hp curve takes a steep upward curve. Running at a power setting above hull speed is really an economic no-go zone. Digging a big hole and wasting fuel.

On a trawler using the sporty criteria for correct propping is not always the best approach. And on most trawlers the engines are not super high output TA versions (some are!!) and thus the engines are not super sensitive to overload.

Each engine has a performance map, often called a BMEP vs RPM map, with BSFC curves present. The point of propping is to put the engine into a happy spot on the curve for all expected vessel speeds. Unfortunately, engine MFR's don't like to publish the charts and us engine guys end up having to snoop around for bits and crumbs to get any idea of them. Some MFR's are better than others (Cat, Cummins).

On a trawler you can never go wrong propping it for rated rpm + a bit at full power, even though full power usually is a silly place.

The problem is when power is backed down to a sane cruise, the engine is no longer in a happy spot on the performance chart. Rpm can be too high and load too low.

So it makes sense in some boats to add pitch and/or diameter to increase specific load and drop rpm. Can be a good bit quieter. Fuel burn likely a little better. A little.

But you don't want to increase prop too much. Any black smoke and engine is not happy.

And you do then need to avoid running at high power as engine will then be overloaded. And in an emergency you may need to do exactly that.

Double edged sword.
Agreed on all points and well-said.

From a new vessel perspective, no engine manufacturer I've encountered will approve an installation (if they check), and validate the warranty, if the engine does not make rated RPM (interestingly, they don't care if it's under-propped, thereby not making full power, as long as it's not overloaded at WOT). You can't control what an owner will do, so this makes sense as no engine manufacturer is going to say, "Fine, over prop, just don't open it up".

I do see a fair number of new vessels both under and over propped by 100 or more rpm.

Controllable pitch props do allow savvy users to exploit full power at almost any RPM, carefully.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #51

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: 1995 Rosborough RF35 Atlantic Trawler
Vic Prop was amazingly accurate for my boat

I went through the Vic Prop calculations for my Rosborough 35 and found they calculated everything very close, using the Cummins B210 Performance Curve for my boat. Vic Prop recommended a 4-blade 27.1" dia x 21.5" pitch prop. Rosborough installed a 4-blade 28" dia x 20" pitch prop. The 1" larger diameter and 1.5" less pitch fits with Vic Prop's diameter-pitch conversion rule-of-thumb comment.

My calculated hull speed is 7.67 Knots and it will run there at about 1500 RPM and the Cummins B210 burns ~3 gph. That assumes no barnacles on the prop, which isn't the case right now. It's time for a haul-out and bottom job.
Rosborough 35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #52

City: Fort Lauderdale
Prop loading and absorbed (developed) HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I run into this frequently with boaters, they brag about how their boat is over propped not realizing the damage that can be done to a motor that functions at lower RPM pushing more weight.

So why do people over prop?

They do it because they do not realize that "over-propping" means that more HP is likely being drawn from their engine(s) than the engine's rating allows for -- a situation that results at best in reduced longevity and at worst in overheating potential catastrophic failure.

Every engine manufacturer requires that the propping on your vessel be such that your engine(s) can achieve slightly more than their maximum rated RPM -- for example, 2325 RPM on an engine rated at 2300 RPM WOT.

If your engine(s) can do that it shows that, at their rated maximum RPM, they are being operated at or slightly below their maximum HP rating. This in turn means that at every RPM level below their rated maximum, they are at or below the the maximum rated HP curve and are, consequently, never being overloaded.

If you don't believe this, ask yourself why not being able to achieve slightly more than max rated RPM will void your warranty.

Cheers!
philfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #53
Guru

City: Anacortes
I got to eat a little crow here. The heat removed by the exhaust is not primary, it looks like its ~30% of the total, so not the primary which is in fact the cooling system at close to 70%. At least that's what I could find. So still a significant amount, but not the primary mechanism. Still useful in my mind to think about what is going on, on a per cycle basis in the overall equation.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #54

City: Edmonton area/Nanaimo BC
Vessel Name: Soul Fisher
Vessel Model: Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Most of my life I had over propped engines except in (real) tugs. And they were all singles. I don't normally use the top 20% of hp in turbo engines in order to extend the time between rebuilds. In naturals it usually doesn't matter because they don't get the high exhaust temps. If you're always running at below peak hp, then you get a really good mileage benefit by over propping and still keep some of the former wot speed. For me it's been more than 10% better mileage. But obviously you can't run at wot for anything more than short periods and you will probably have black smoke. But they do maneuver better (the way I maneuver). Because the prop throws more water, I rarely did more than just shift in and out of gear at idle.

I had at least 6 vessels that had 2 or more sets of props. All were twins. Two of those I knew the later history of had the stock props reinstalled and then after a time went back to the larger props, but I didn't hear the details of why.

Well said Lepke, and several others in this thread. The reason this subject gets rehashed over the years is because there is a different answer for every boat, every captain and those change from day to day based on wind, weather, currents and how a captain feels like running his boat today. This is Trawler Forum and I personally drive a slow boat that falls into a category somewhere between full displacement and semi and this in my mind is a totally different demand on an engine than, say a sport fishing boat trying to get the impatient clients 50 miles out to the fishing grounds catch their limit, and be back before happy hour. I have a 6.5 liter NA 6D14 Mitsubishi rated at 115 to 126 hp ?? on a 33,000 pound 40' boat. I ran the Vic prop calculator (thanks for posting that!) which shows displacement hull speed at 8 kts which I have trouble reaching most days. So I cruise at about 6-7 kts and burn about 2 gal/hr. I have had to do a complete redesign of my cooling system due to chronic overheating problems from an under designed cooling system at the time of retrofit to a two cabin cruiser from a fish boat.It seems that if the boat stayed at a slow cruise in 50 degree water it would not overheat but that put it right on the edge in summer. The biggest and most well known marina locally told me I was overpropped. That is why I was overheating. It took me a couple of years to totally understand all the dynamics of my cooling system. One of the simple calculations that I found useful to understand how much heat I was making was fuel burn. This also links to the topic of this thread - overprop situations or in other words overload. If I only ran at 6 kts burning 2 gallons per hour the boat did not overheat most days. To start to understand all aspects of cooling you need to put some numbers to several things related to cooling like BTU generated. GPM = BTU divided by 500 (water) X Delta T. Gallons per minute of coolant flow converted to pounds per hour to calculate BTU which is per hour. Delta T or the degree drop in temperature of your cooling water as it returns from the keel cooler to the engine is another big one. When one gallon US of diesel gets burned there is about 135,000 to 140,000 BTU released that has to go somewhere. A very general rule of thumb is 1/3 goes up the exhaust, 1/3 goes into the cooling system, and 1/3 gets turned into rotary energy which starts coming back into the engine room as heat from the gear and friction from anything that turns. 5-10% of heat generated is also radiated off the engine block and exhaust system which greatly effects the heat inside the engine if the air in the engine room is above 110 degrees F as it gets drawn into the combustion chambers. My setup also has a dry stack and water cooled exhaust manifold that seemed to be forgotten about in design of total cooling system heat load and was part of the overheating problem. Most of the keel cooler design guys refused to talk about that extra heat that has to be dealt with in the gallons per minute of flow of the engine cooling system. It seems that possibly 40 - 50% of the 1/3 of heat that normally goes out the exhaust was ending up in the engine heat load. Plus the 5% of the 1/3 going to the transmission etc. etc. Bottom line was I installed a new Fernstrum keel cooler that takes care of just engine water jacket cooling and use the old cooling loop for exhaust, transmission and hydraulic cooling. The new Fernstrum was up graded to be able to handle the heat load of a 6BT 210 that might be somewhere in the future. I now have about 3 times the original cooling and can not make the engine overheat. All of these heat loads require every component to be working at maybe 100% on some high performance boats running at WOT for extended periods. What I am getting at is in a system that is designed right on the edge of being too small, everything has to work at 100% or you overheat and do damage to engine components. This is where the overpropping problem comes into play if this is how your boat is used. But if your boat is like mine and just chugs along at 1500 rpm burning 2 gallons per hour you are only making about 34 hp. Based on fuel burn specs of about 16-17 hp hrs/gallon for most engines. Not an overload at all on my engine and not creating enough heat to be harmful to any components. If I run WOT I can only reach 2400 rpm which the "experts" say is below the 26-2800 the book says but I don't care because I know that and would only ever run it there for a few minutes in an emergency. It is nice to not be on the edge of overheating if you have to use that full power and that is one of the reasons you need to be aware of where your engine is at. This seems to be where the confusion starts. It is simple as several here have stated, if your engine will not reach full rpm, then back off the throttle to a lower rpm, lower speed and lower power requirement until it can gain rpm when you increase the throttle. Perfect if this is how your prop is selected and where you want to run your boat for lower rpm, fuel burn, noise and longevity of engine. Last weekend in my other life as a heavy equipment and truck owner/operator I made a 300 mile trip to pick up a 30,000 pound load on my 9400 IH hiway tractor and tridem hiboy trailer. This truck has a C15 Cat 500 Hp and a 18 speed transmission and is geared pretty fast. Overpropped. On the way down south empty with a tail wind I could run in the top gear (18th) at about 70 mph and 1300 rpm with the boost gauge showing only 4-6 lbs most of the time. Fuel burn was under 1/4 tank or 8-9 gal/hr. Just idling along for economy. When I was loaded and heading back north into a storm with 60-70 mph winds, the engine could nowhere near pull the load in that gear so I simply select a different gear until the engine was running free and could gain rpm when I step on the throttle. My choice of ratio as an operator. Some of the time I was down to 3rd over (16th gear) and running 55-60 mph at 16-1700 rpm and the boost gauge ranged from 20-30 pounds. 33 is WOT. So my engine was close to full power maybe 10% of the time but working pretty hard most of the way home. Fuel burn was in the 20-25 gal/hr range. Still well within the power range of that truck but if I had only had 250 hp as a maximum, I would simply have had to gear down down to where the engine had the power to maintain less than 100% power output and extend the time of the trip by maybe double. Or wait out the storm and drive home later that night. Getting home for supper cost me 200-$250 in extra fuel!! My point is it is not nearly as easy to change props as it is to change gears on my truck but it is a situation every driver deals with every single day, trip, hill they come to. So on a trawler style boat, just back off on the throttle, reduce the hp required, which reduces the heat produced, and everything will be just fine. You can change the prop if you want or you can just adjust the throttle back a bit and sit back and enjoy the trip!!
Transaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #55

Absorbed (developed) HP is directly related to fuel burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transaxial View Post
Well said Lepke, and several others in this thread. The reason this subject gets rehashed over the years is because there is a different answer for every boat, every captain and those change from day to day based on wind, weather, currents and how a captain feels like running his boat today. This is Trawler Forum and I personally drive a slow boat that falls into a category somewhere between full displacement and semi and this in my mind is a totally different demand on an engine than, say a sport fishing boat trying to get the impatient clients 50 miles out to the fishing grounds catch their limit, and be back before happy hour. I have a 6.5 liter NA 6D14 Mitsubishi rated at 115 to 126 hp ?? on a 33,000 pound 40' boat. I ran the Vic prop calculator (thanks for posting that!) which shows displacement hull speed at 8 kts which I have trouble reaching most days. So I cruise at about 6-7 kts and burn about 2 gal/hr. I have had to do a complete redesign of my cooling system due to chronic overheating problems from an under designed cooling system at the time of retrofit to a two cabin cruiser from a fish boat.It seems that if the boat stayed at a slow cruise in 50 degree water it would not overheat but that put it right on the edge in summer. The biggest and most well known marina locally told me I was overpropped. That is why I was overheating. It took me a couple of years to totally understand all the dynamics of my cooling system. One of the simple calculations that I found useful to understand how much heat I was making was fuel burn. This also links to the topic of this thread - overprop situations or in other words overload. If I only ran at 6 kts burning 2 gallons per hour the boat did not overheat most days. To start to understand all aspects of cooling you need to put some numbers to several things related to cooling like BTU generated. GPM = BTU divided by 500 (water) X Delta T. Gallons per minute of coolant flow converted to pounds per hour to calculate BTU which is per hour. Delta T or the degree drop in temperature of your cooling water as it returns from the keel cooler to the engine is another big one. When one gallon US of diesel gets burned there is about 135,000 to 140,000 BTU released that has to go somewhere. A very general rule of thumb is 1/3 goes up the exhaust, 1/3 goes into the cooling system, and 1/3 gets turned into rotary energy which starts coming back into the engine room as heat from the gear and friction from anything that turns. 5-10% of heat generated is also radiated off the engine block and exhaust system which greatly effects the heat inside the engine if the air in the engine room is above 110 degrees F as it gets drawn into the combustion chambers. My setup also has a dry stack and water cooled exhaust manifold that seemed to be forgotten about in design of total cooling system heat load and was part of the overheating problem. Most of the keel cooler design guys refused to talk about that extra heat that has to be dealt with in the gallons per minute of flow of the engine cooling system. It seems that possibly 40 - 50% of the 1/3 of heat that normally goes out the exhaust was ending up in the engine heat load. Plus the 5% of the 1/3 going to the transmission etc. etc. Bottom line was I installed a new Fernstrum keel cooler that takes care of just engine water jacket cooling and use the old cooling loop for exhaust, transmission and hydraulic cooling. The new Fernstrum was up graded to be able to handle the heat load of a 6BT 210 that might be somewhere in the future. I now have about 3 times the original cooling and can not make the engine overheat. All of these heat loads require every component to be working at maybe 100% on some high performance boats running at WOT for extended periods. What I am getting at is in a system that is designed right on the edge of being too small, everything has to work at 100% or you overheat and do damage to engine components. This is where the overpropping problem comes into play if this is how your boat is used. But if your boat is like mine and just chugs along at 1500 rpm burning 2 gallons per hour you are only making about 34 hp. Based on fuel burn specs of about 16-17 hp hrs/gallon for most engines. Not an overload at all on my engine and not creating enough heat to be harmful to any components. If I run WOT I can only reach 2400 rpm which the "experts" say is below the 26-2800 the book says but I don't care because I know that and would only ever run it there for a few minutes in an emergency. It is nice to not be on the edge of overheating if you have to use that full power and that is one of the reasons you need to be aware of where your engine is at. This seems to be where the confusion starts. It is simple as several here have stated, if your engine will not reach full rpm, then back off the throttle to a lower rpm, lower speed and lower power requirement until it can gain rpm when you increase the throttle. Perfect if this is how your prop is selected and where you want to run your boat for lower rpm, fuel burn, noise and longevity of engine. Last weekend in my other life as a heavy equipment and truck owner/operator I made a 300 mile trip to pick up a 30,000 pound load on my 9400 IH hiway tractor and tridem hiboy trailer. This truck has a C15 Cat 500 Hp and a 18 speed transmission and is geared pretty fast. Overpropped. On the way down south empty with a tail wind I could run in the top gear (18th) at about 70 mph and 1300 rpm with the boost gauge showing only 4-6 lbs most of the time. Fuel burn was under 1/4 tank or 8-9 gal/hr. Just idling along for economy. When I was loaded and heading back north into a storm with 60-70 mph winds, the engine could nowhere near pull the load in that gear so I simply select a different gear until the engine was running free and could gain rpm when I step on the throttle. My choice of ratio as an operator. Some of the time I was down to 3rd over (16th gear) and running 55-60 mph at 16-1700 rpm and the boost gauge ranged from 20-30 pounds. 33 is WOT. So my engine was close to full power maybe 10% of the time but working pretty hard most of the way home. Fuel burn was in the 20-25 gal/hr range. Still well within the power range of that truck but if I had only had 250 hp as a maximum, I would simply have had to gear down down to where the engine had the power to maintain less than 100% power output and extend the time of the trip by maybe double. Or wait out the storm and drive home later that night. Getting home for supper cost me 200-$250 in extra fuel!! My point is it is not nearly as easy to change props as it is to change gears on my truck but it is a situation every driver deals with every single day, trip, hill they come to. So on a trawler style boat, just back off on the throttle, reduce the hp required, which reduces the heat produced, and everything will be just fine. You can change the prop if you want or you can just adjust the throttle back a bit and sit back and enjoy the trip!!

Several excellent insights,Transaxial, particularly that HP is directly related to fuel burn. Actually, HP is calculated as torque -- itself a product of energy released during fuel burn and the length of the piston stroke -- times RPM divided by a constant which depends on whether the engine is a 4-stroker or 2-stroker. But here's an important point:

You can still overload your engine at RPM below its maximum rated RPM. It all depends on the amount of throttle you need to reach the RPM in question. For example, suppose your engine is rated at max 2100 RPM and you run at 1500, but require full throttle to reach that engine speed. In such circumstances, you are likely overloading the engine... even if the engine is not (nominally) overheating.

BTW, to get an accurate measure of engine heat levels, you need a cylinder head sensor, coolant temperature is rarely sufficiently accurate and usually lags behind anyway.

If you can accurately measure fuel burn (net of fuel flow that is used to cool the injectors, etc. and returned to the tank), then by comparing the fuel burn to the specified fuel burn for your engine on the maximum rated HP curve at the RPM (in this case 1500 RPM). If you're burning more fuel than specified on the max rate HP curve, you're overloading the engine.

However, I suggest that it's not just a matter of overheating. Overloading an engine places abnormal stresses and strains on the parts involved in power production, especially the crank, connecting rods, and pistons. Granted, some older engines were so overbuilt and detuned, it might not matter. But newer engines, with their significantly higher HP-to-weight ratios, will not respond as well to being overloaded. At best the MTBO will be reduced, at worst an unexpected catastrophic failure could ensue.

That is why engine manufacturers like to see a boat propped so that the engine's can reach slightly above max rate RPM at WOT. Because if they do, then it is generally guaranteed they are not overloaded at any RPM below max rated. Cheers!
Old 07-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #56
Guru

A lot of maybes discussed.

Back to the info I posted before, just because you are overpropped at max rpm, does not mean your are automatically at other RPMs.

Lots of real world info out there with no reduction in engine longevity....it's all how it's managed.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #57

Yo are correct, psneeld, but I don't think anyone (knowledgeable) ever said that if you're "over-propped" at max rated RPM you're automatically over-propped at lower RPM. The position that engine manufacturers take is that if your NOT over-propped at max rated RPM, you are sure not to be overloading your engine at the lower RPM levels. That is a very different proposition, which also invites the question as to why one would want to "over-prop" in the first place. It does not, in fact, save fuel. And in the case of newer engines still covered by warranties, it has the disadvantage of calling warranty coverage into question. Cheers!
Old 07-10-2019, 05:54 PM   #58
Guru

Ok....but a huge number here are not under engine warranty and know better than rookie info.

If you don't want to overprop, your choice.

If you do want to overprop for reasons discussed, fine if you know the dangers...not the usual drivel spouted by amatuers.

Read the second sentence of para 3 in post 30.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #59

City: Edmonton area/Nanaimo BC
Vessel Name: Soul Fisher
Vessel Model: Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by philfriedman View Post
Several excellent insights,Transaxial, particularly that HP is directly related to fuel burn. Actually, HP is calculated as torque -- itself a product of energy released during fuel burn and the length of the piston stroke -- times RPM divided by a constant which depends on whether the engine is a 4-stroker or 2-stroker. But here's an important point:

You can still overload your engine at RPM below its maximum rated RPM. It all depends on the amount of throttle you need to reach the RPM in question. For example, suppose your engine is rated at max 2100 RPM and you run at 1500, but require full throttle to reach that engine speed. In such circumstances, you are likely overloading the engine... even if the engine is not (nominally) overheating.

BTW, to get an accurate measure of engine heat levels, you need a cylinder head sensor, coolant temperature is rarely sufficiently accurate and usually lags behind anyway.

If you can accurately measure fuel burn (net of fuel flow that is used to cool the injectors, etc. and returned to the tank), then by comparing the fuel burn to the specified fuel burn for your engine on the maximum rated HP curve at the RPM (in this case 1500 RPM). If you're burning more fuel than specified on the max rate HP curve, you're overloading the engine.

However, I suggest that it's not just a matter of overheating. Overloading an engine places abnormal stresses and strains on the parts involved in power production, especially the crank, connecting rods, and pistons. Granted, some older engines were so overbuilt and detuned, it might not matter. But newer engines, with their significantly higher HP-to-weight ratios, will not respond as well to being overloaded. At best the MTBO will be reduced, at worst an unexpected catastrophic failure could ensue.

That is why engine manufacturers like to see a boat propped so that the engine's can reach slightly above max rate RPM at WOT. Because if they do, then it is generally guaranteed they are not overloaded at any RPM below max rated. Cheers!
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
From an expert....
"A diesel is overloaded when the load imposed limits the rpm demanded by the governor. This is seen as the point where the governor calls for more fuel delivery but the speed can not increase"

I think this is the key point to the whole discussion of being overpropped or not. On some trawler engines it doesn't matter if they will not reach full rpm some of the time. But beyond that is the whole world of different engines and conditions and opinions. You bring up the very important discussion of TORQUE and its all important place in every engines design and use. The simple fact that all power comes from combustion pressure (PSI acting on top of the piston) and that force acting on the length of throw of a crankshaft which creates turning force or torque. The more times that force is applied in a given time increases the overall horsepower. This is shown by a very interesting and simple formula HP = Torque X RPM divided by 5252 or the other way around showing Torque = HP X 5252 divided by RPM. My reason for going into this is that there are design parameters for every engine which allows a sweet spot where the engine can produce enough torque comfortably to overcome some reduction in RPM and result in the desired efficiency and longevity. For example the math shows that if you have a theoretical engine that produces 200 HP at 2500 rpm the torque is 420 ft/lbs by formula. If you slow that engine down to 1600 rpm and try to do the same amount of work, the torque would spike to 656 ft/lbs. The pressures increase and the loads on all the internal components increase dramatically. Fortunately in trawlers the power required drops just as the RPM and speed drop. Not all engines are created equally and some are just built stronger to start with and are able to run at the higher torque and reduced rpm. One of those is the 6BT 5.9 that has proven itself over 30+ years in trucks, equipment and boats. In 1989 Dodge started offering these in their heavier pickups with 160 HP at 2500 rpm and had legendary torque of 400 ft/lbs at 1600 rpm. It could work there all day long. Many of those engine are still working with a million or more miles of hard work. How is that possible? Because they were built to handle the pressure and the torque without metal fatigue, hot spots in the cooling design and oil film strength breaking down and causing an instant catastrophic failure. Fast forward 30 years and the close relative of the 12 valve 5.9 is the 6.7 pushing 385 HP at 2800 rpm and developing 930 ft/lbs at 1700. Now not knocking the new 6.7 but with that kind of torque and resulting high pressure in the cylinders, I think it is a safe bet that they will not take the lugging and last like the old ones did. Lots of these engines have made it into boats and I bring it up because obviously these are two very different engines by design and in how you could run them and have success with performance and longevity. I owned a tractor that came with a 14 liter 855 cid Cummins and was rated at 230 HP at 2100 rpm. It was a very large engine for its power output but that was designed into the unit to be able to pull down due to increasing load and actually increase HP to 240 as it lugged down to 1600 - 1700 rpm. This had an additional benefit in that as the rpm went down from 2100 to 1600, the ground speed dropped by 24% which reduced the power needed (like shifting down a gear) while actual HP developed went up. Result was increased work done without shifting gears. (or changing props) This style or CPL of an engine could be used (and is) in marine application and worked all day long in a reduced rpm application without any downside. This type of torque curve is exactly what most FD boats want and the application is the same. As you throttle back for economy the power demand decreases dramatically, like to 40-50% in a boat, and the torque developed rises to meet the increased demand while HP stays pretty constant, if not rising slightly down to 15-1600 rpm. This makes a very forgiving and drivable unit whether it has wheels or a prop.
Transaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #60

Not over-propping is NOT a manufacturer's recommendation

O C Diver, manufacturers do not recommend against over-propping. They simply make it a condition of your engine warranty, if you have one still in effect, that you not do so. In fact, one of the check points in commissioning new, expensive marine diesel engines is establishing that the engines run up during sea trials to slightly above max rate RPM. The choice is yours, but if you've over-propped and experienced a failure even remotely associated with over-loading, you can kiss your warranty coverage good-by.