Old 04-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Ron it's not the PSS seal that has water feed and I don't know what the small pipe is for. Could be another water feed tube of a different type but I suspect it's a burp tube to vent the air out of the tube to ensure water for lubrication of the seal packing and probably the cutlass brng at the aft end of the tube as well.
............. .
I was just thinking it could be another brand of the same type of seal. I really don't know. I just wanted to throw that out there just in case.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
The pipe will supply water to the stuffing box and shaft log, probably the box is not greased and in that case usually just packed with packing impregnated with graphite grease or similar.
Given half a shot I would renew the packing with gore tex packing that does not require either greasing or cooling as long as you don't over tighten it.
I am not a big fan of the small boat dripless shaft seals as if they fail you are in deep do do especially if you are a long way from home ( like the middle of the Pacific)

Cheers
Benn
My shaft logs are somewhat hard to access, so years ago, when I just got my boat, I considered installing dripless shaft seals. But I was told by others that I would be better off just repacking with Gore Tex. So I did and couldn't be happier. No drip needed and longer lasting than standard packing too.

Benn, is it the bellow of the dripless system that's prone to failure?

mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I have never heard or been told of this system having any sort of "burp" function. It's just to supply water because there isn't enough getting in there without it.
I think this is correct, however, with the PSS system (which I have) the "book" mentions burping the system when splashing the boat.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Espoo
Vessel Name: Carpe Diem
Vessel Model: Storebro 34
Here you can see my system, it drips and it requires grease. I have been told that turn few rounds of grease (propshaft grease that is) after couple hours of running. Also few turns to stop the dripping while the boat is not moving...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3032351440.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	17992   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-224903680.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	17993  
tiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
The narrowboats we use in the UK have a similar setup to Tiku's. Just one brass cylinder and screw plunger but the practice is to give it a quarter turn every other day of running.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #26

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
If I have long period time where I will not use the boat I spin the packing nut off and fill the cup full of grease on top of the packing. Next I tight it all back up and it no longer leaks until the shaft spins again. I like the peace of mind that the boat has no leaks while I'm gone. I like this grease for this job it is really sticky and water proof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3978213837.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	17999  
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #27
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
This is the same system I have on my boat. Engine coolant under pressure cools the box and creates positive pressure external of the stuffing helping to keep sea water out. Works very well. Standard three turns of PTFE flax packing does the trick. Check the nuts from time to time and no worries.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #28

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan
Your stuffing box does not get grease, it has rope seal "packing" that is impregnated with wax, most likely. The two nuts are used to tighten the gland nut which puts pressure on the packing and closes the gap between the shaft and packing housing. It should drip while running as the water lubes and cools the packing. The pipe connected at the top provides water to the packing and the forward cutlass bearing, as a boat with a long shaft log may not get enough water from the prop end to provide cooling. There is also a cutlass bearing on the prop end. As mentioned previously the shaft log is the tube that the shaft is housed in, it has the two cutlass bearing mounted one in each end for the shaft to ride in. These bearings also depend on water for lubrication and cooling.
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
awpptdt,
What is the story with the color of the house in your avitar? Am I seeing raw teak on a MT Sedan? My last boat was a MT36 Sedan.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #30
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Mahal,
2 common failures are the bellows and the carbon face seal.
The carbon face if fiddled with can let in a little grit or what ever and before you know it the seal face is letting in water or if the bellows perishes or breaks , same result.
A deep sea seal such as used on large ships or super yachts is a different kettle of fish and totally reliable and repairable.
I have had a couple fail in my time at sea but they are not catastrophic and can be repaired and sealing maintained until the repair can be carried out.
On my own boat I have a similar system to Tiku for greasing.
A cartridge grease gun , one for each bearing fwd inside of engine room and stern bearing , the grease gun is in the lazzerette.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #31
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
The toyboat versions of those seals leak too. Usually from dirt and lack of attention. If they don't have the inflatable emergency seal installed or it is damaged (usually the case) then it may as well be one of those "dripless" things.
Attached Files
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
Guru

Rick,
Watching that little bit of stuff it is obvious that there is no outer double lip seal and it is not oil fed with a gravity tank so it sure has some short comings in the way of failure protection.
Cheers
Benn
Old 04-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #33
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Great, a free bilge wash but an expensive way to do it. Not good, ouch.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Rick,
Watching that little bit of stuff it is obvious that there is no outer double lip seal and it is not oil fed with a gravity tank so it sure has some short comings in the way of failure protection.
For sure. It is an Italian version of a Wartsila seal. It has a seal carrier that also has lip seals to allow it to slide and maintain loading on the mechanical seal face. The problem is (was) that dirt and crud would build up on the sliding surfaces and prevent the springs from loading the seal face.

The boat had a pair of large MANs with V drives that allowed a considerable amount of longitudinal shaft movement. The funny part of it is it would seal perfectly fine at low rpm but beyond a certain point the shaft moved forward enough to unload the seal and it would begin to flood the engine room. Both seals had the same problem and the owner and captain were panic stricken thinking they need to leave their lovely Caribbean island at low speed to find a yard and pull the shafts.

I got a nice trip down there to ponder the situation and ended up showing them how to use a pair of long screwdrivers to slide the carrier forward to stop the flooding, then advised them to clean the surfaces. Voila ... no more flooding. The rest of the trip was spent paddleboarding and playing with the yacht toys.

Beats the hell out of doing a piston pull or rebuilding a Coffin feed pump.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #35
Guru

Coffin feed pump , haven't played with one since I got of my last ULCC in the late 70's. Good old days of being a steam queen.
Sound like there are some perks in the white boat business.
I am now the semi retired type on a nice Z Tech harbour tug, a pair of CAT 35 16s , just odd hours to contend with and 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off.
Plenty of time to play with the boat.
Cheers
Benn

Tags
grease, stuffing box