Old 04-02-2019, 09:44 PM   #41
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Yea, if you did not hear or feel that pump when jumped with 12v, it is probably pooped. Was engine room quiet enough to hear?

If suction was obstructed, it would still make a clicking noise or vibrate.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #42
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Yea, if you did not hear or feel that pump when jumped with 12v, it is probably pooped. Was engine room quiet enough to hear?

If suction was obstructed, it would still make a clicking noise or vibrate.
It was so quiet I could hear the rain hitting the water, No clicking or anything.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:21 PM   #43
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Wacket with a hammer and try it again. Even if this works its time to replace it. If you could hear rain out side then your pump is dead. When you get the new pump you should jump it before you install it. Every now and then one comes out of the box dead.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Wacket with a hammer and try it again. Even if this works its time to replace it. If you could hear rain out side then your pump is dead. When you get the new pump you should jump it before you install it. Every now and then one comes out of the box dead.
LOL Yep the old hammer trick didn't work either!!

Great minds think a like. Definitely testing before install.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #45
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Tom, run over to the Portland airport, jump on a plane to Phoenix and let me know what your flight number is. I'll buy the first AA and we can forget about the darned thing for a bit.

OH, and don't forget to bring Kay.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:30 AM   #46

City: Yorkshire
Vessel Name: Barefoot Lady
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
Just playing devils advocate, did you check the earth on the pump, some are rubber mounted and will have an earth wire, if this corrodes it can give the same symptoms...
Old 04-04-2019, 07:42 AM   #47
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
My generator is in a sound shield and inside the sound shield is a fire extinguisher. The electric fuel pump is wired thru that extinguisher and when I take the sound shield off to work on the engine, I need to unplug those wires going to that extinguisher. Doing that also disables the fuel pump. So if I want to run the generator with the sound shield off I need to jumper that plug so the fuel pump will work. Could anything similar be at work here?
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:24 PM   #48
Guru

We are now up and running again. New fuel pump and new feed and return fuel lines made. I let the pump run for a few minutes and after a few cranks it started right up. Feels good to trust your trouble shooting techniques you used on multi-million $$ aircraft.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in, especially SKI. Below is a pic of the old pump and new pump.
Attached Thumbnails
20190404_151310.jpg   goldflo.png  
Old 04-04-2019, 07:47 PM   #49
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Tom, glad you got it going. All of us learned from this troubleshooting process, agonizing as it was for you. If there's any redemption, it's that you were home, at your dock as you worked through this. Much better than being many miles from nowhere in SE AK and having this problem.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:07 PM   #50
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
Nice! Congrats!
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:32 PM   #51
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Glad it is running again. Was afraid I was was gonna have to visit and give some adult supervision. Probably would have spent more at the Liquor store than the new parts though. Now get on with packing up for the trip north, and dont forget to light off that water maker before departure, ya never know........
Cheers!!!!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Tom, glad you got it going. All of us learned from this troubleshooting process, agonizing as it was for you. If there's any redemption, it's that you were home, at your dock as you worked through this. Much better than being many miles from nowhere in SE AK and having this problem.

Ha how right you are. In 2016 and 2017 we discovered the genny HATES Friday Harbor. Genny broke down there both years.

What surprised me was that the pump was available from an RV website at half the cost of Onan...

https://anyrvparts.com/
Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #53

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Ha how right you are. In 2016 and 2017 we discovered the genny HATES Friday Harbor. Genny broke down there both years.

Bringing our new boat north in November we had issues and had to stay an extra day in Campbell River. When I talked to the previous owner about the issue, he said the only two times the boat had broke down for them in many, many years of cruising, both were in Campbell River.
I'm not sure if the boat is saying that it hates a particular place, or is trying to find ways to stay there longer because it likes it
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #54
Veteran Member

City: Penetanguishene
Vessel Name: Loose Goose X, and second boat, the Benchmark
Vessel Model: 1994 Ocean Alexander 423 and a 1967 Chris Craft Constellation
Make sure your circuit breaker 20 amp red btoon on the engine has not popped .... High amp low voltage can cause it to pop.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #55
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
alaskansea-Deduction

Thanks for the lessons learned, nice to learn from others far smarter than I. I usually respect quite a few opinions from guys I’ve followed for years (most know who they are) but ski has helped me out on mechanical problems before and even here he deserves expert status. Thanks to all.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #56
Guru

So ASD, are you going to order a spare fuel pump?
Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #57

City: new jersey
hello capt, I had a westerbeke 8btd gen that would crank or not start and a few other things, after checking a few shut down devices, water. oil...my emergency stop switch which is a toggle switch, was bad/rotted out and in the closed position inside and was making go to a shutdown, no start...replaced the switch and it was good to go....hows yours doing...joe
trawler joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark View Post
Make sure your circuit breaker 20 amp red btoon on the engine has not popped .... High amp low voltage can cause it to pop.
C/B checked. It was replace a couple of years ago. If the C/B was popped or bad the shutoff soliniod would not activate.

Quote:
So ASD, are you going to order a spare fuel pump?
LOL Yes it is on order!!!
Old 04-09-2019, 07:02 PM   #59
Guru

A fellow yacht club member was tied up next to me at an island far north of Campbell River, BC. He was ending his vacation because his Generator wouldn’t run. I asked him if he had spare fuel filters for the Gen as it sounded to me like a clogged fuel filter. He said his mechanic had put together a spares box for him but he didn’t know what was in it. We opened the box and I found 3 raycor filters, 3 primary engine filters, 20’ of fuel line, temp sensor, oil sensor, circuit breaker, fuel pump, 2 belts, 2 raw water impellers and a roll of silicone tape. Turned out the problem was the fuel pump. I was so impressed by the spares package that I duplicated it for myself. The only thing I did different was the silicone tape, instead I stock 6’ of silicone hose in every size used on my boat.

Some times we get to learn at some one else’s expense.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:11 PM   #60
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
A fellow yacht club member was tied up next to me at an island far north of Campbell River, BC. He was ending his vacation because his Generator wouldn’t run. I asked him if he had spare fuel filters for the Gen as it sounded to me like a clogged fuel filter. He said his mechanic had put together a spares box for him but he didn’t know what was in it. We opened the box and I found 3 raycor filters, 3 primary engine filters, 20’ of fuel line, temp sensor, oil sensor, circuit breaker, fuel pump, 2 belts, 2 raw water impellers and a roll of silicone tape. Turned out the problem was the fuel pump. I was so impressed by the spares package that I duplicated it for myself. The only thing I did different was the silicone tape, instead I stock 6’ of silicone hose in every size used on my boat.

Some times we get to learn at some one else’s expense.
TR, What brand of silicone tape do you use?