Old 04-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Windfall
Vessel Model: 2006 Camano 41
tachometer adapter FL 120

The right angle adapter for the sensors to tachometer and synchronizer is apparently broken - it can be rotated at the joint just to the left of the large nut. Bob Smith at American Diesel says this is not a FL part and does not know where it might be available. The Synchronizer is VDO but I did not see anything in the current catalog that look similar.

Any ideas?

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0146_2.jpg   IMG_0156_2.jpg  
Dan Cahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Tom; I assume that your tach and synchronizer don't work. Movement to the left of the large nut may or may not indicate something broken. I would be inclined to disconnect the wires, remove the whole assembly from the engine block and remove the sensors. Turning the center of the gold drive will tell you what moves and what doesn't move upstream of there. Dismantling will hopefully determine what's broken. Good luck.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Windfall
Vessel Model: 2006 Camano 41
tachometer

actually everything seems to work at present. If I rotate the assembly clockwise it tightens up. But since it does not seem to be threaded at that point I know something is not right. In the photos, you can see the grease oozing out of the joint.

Dan
Dan Cahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
'78 Grand Banks. I'd assume the synch is not too much newer. If it's VDO send them the photo and an e mail and ask or get the tel # from the website.

That type of synch mechanism would have gone out of production a long time ago but parts and service may still be available.
If not direct from VDO then some of the older dealers may still have parts AND advice. I'm not surprised it's not in any current catalogue I find the same thing with my old autopilot even though the mfgr is out of business.

Good luck
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote