What prop for Mercury 25hp Bigfoot motor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HenryD

Vessel Name
Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Make
Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Hello,
I crunched my dinghy prop and cannot read the numbers on it. I contacted Michigan Wheel and bought a 10x17 prop. The dinghy will just not get up on plane. I see sizes ranging from 10x13 to 10x17 as possible for this motor.
Anybody know what is recommended?
The dinghy is an 11' RIB.
Thanks - Henry

A bigfoot 25HP Merc and a 10" dia. prop don't seem right to me. I have a standard Merc 2002 25HP short shaft 2 stroke and it turns a 10" prop as well. My perception of the 'Bigfoot' concept was bigger gear boxes and props to bite more water in high torque go slower applications. Anyway I use a 10x11 on mine. I use it for a 12' inflatable keel inflatable. As well as a 14' Jon boat. Works good all around.

I agree w CC.
Probably just need less pitch.

As a side "big foot" and other "high thrust" lower units are a lot like food labeled "low salt" or "low fat". But it's not low. Just lower and only a tad at that. As per the above most have 95% as much as the usual product.

When I was shopping for outboards just several years ago I found the big foot Merc had a higher gear ratio than both the regular lower units of several Suzuki's and Evinrude's (E-tech). Don't expect miracles.

I have found that the "factory" prop is a 10 7/8 x 11. The distance from the center of the shaft to the plate above is almost exactly 6".

Back
Top Bottom