Old 11-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
When we first brought Hobo to WA, we sent the injectors out to be rebuilt. After installing the new-rebuilt injectors we left Everett our way to Bellingham, WA and almost ended up on the rocks going by Goat Island in Skagit Bay. We limped into La Connor. The next day we rented a car and Lena took the injectors back to Seattle Injector. The shop manger tested them and found 4 of the 6 tips were the wrong size. Seattle Injector did pay for the rental car, gas and a new valve cover gasket.

We also had a small air leak in the fuel delivery system that shut the engine down when we were crossing the Sea of Cortez and we wrapped a piece of plastic drain line around the engine in Trinidad.

These 3 were it from Sitka, AK to Jacksonville, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001a.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	24965  

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Oops. My failures were with this gas beast. Deleted message.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Blown head gasket on Perkins 6.354t on a friends boat I was helping to bring down river. This was a replacement engine for the original that had pumped out all the lube oil thru a oil line into the bilge & locked up. The owner just found out that the shop he bought it from while changing over the marinization parts switched the heads. During his repair he sent the head out to have checked & it needed all new valves & surfaced. Never a hic-up with my Hinos.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #24
Guru

City: Trenton
Ford Lehman 120 - Injector line snapped at the pump.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #25
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Have had this boat only 8 months now.
1984 Volvo MD17D 2200-2400 hours

Starter motor failed, after shutting off engine in the lock. Used emergency tiller to "scull" boat to nearest dock @ 0.1 knots. (who needs twins)
Starter required new solenoid and rewinding.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #26
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Oh yeah, had a solenoid shut off fail on the Cat 3208. Took it off, and used my finger to shut the engine down. That's always a good thing when taking folks to dinner.
Something similar happened to me with my 3208. Got up one morning turned the key and nothing.
with the 3208 there is always a loud click when you turn the key before the starter engages.
That click is the solenoid opening to allow fuel to flow.

No click.

Took the solenoid off. Took out the plunger, replaced it without the plunger.
Started the engine and continued the trip.

Shut her down the same way you did.

I think the reason I haven't had any real issues when I am out is that I watch things pretty close.
I think it has a lot to do with having only one engine.
I can't get home on the other one.
I have to be sure before I leave the harbor.
I know every single system on my boat. Because I installed it.
I took the engine down to just the block. I rebuilt the top end myself.
I had a thread going on it a while back.

Point being. You need to check this stuff out. You can't go out there with bad hoses, worn belts, old oil or anything else you should have fixed.

Maintain your boat and maybe you wont get stuck.

If you can't fix it. learn how to, or get it off the boat.

SD
Old 11-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #27
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Ditto with SD- I have to make a my engine repairs and maintenance myself, and it makes me familiar with what "normal" is!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #28
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
HOLLY CRAP! I just caught up with this thread. Don't let my wife read this thread. I will be stuck in port forever if she sees this.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
HOLLY CRAP! I just caught up with this thread. Don't let my wife read this thread. I will be stuck in port forever if she sees this.
Ain't that the truth. My wife never forgets the problems we have had. There are places we can't go anymore because we had a bad experience with an overnight stay.

I've had a few engines failures that always seem to occur in out of the way places but, luckily had a second engine or sails. One was on the outside of Vancouver Island heading from Nootka Sound to Hot Springs Cove when the engine quit and we had to rely on the sails to get us to the anchorage. Turns out a piece of crud in the fuel tank was sucked into the pickup tube. Easy fix.

The next one was with my first power boat that had twin engines. We where on the west side of Pitt Island in northern BC when white smoke bellowed out from the exhaust of the starboard engine. It took 2 days from that point to get to Shearwater where they have a mechanic. He worked on the engine for a couple of days and replaced an injector that he thought was the problem but it didn't help. He then said he didn't know anything about Yanmar engines. So we headed out across Queen Charlotte Sound on one engine to Port McNeill where they have actual mechanics. In a very short time, he found, by removing the valve cover, a push rod that had the tip broken off.

On my next twin engine boat, a Defever 45 PH, we where headed into Baker Inlet off Grenville Channel to meet a friend who was anchored at the end of the bay. I decided to run the engines at WOT while heading to the end of the bay when the high water bilge alarm went off. I headed to the engine room where I found the floor boards floating and water gushing out from the raw water hose that exits into the exhaust. I held the hose back where it belongs while yelling to my wife to shut the engines down so I could get it the hose back on properly. Amazing how much water that JD 4045 engine could put out. An easy fix but I found that the boat builder used a smooth SS pipe to make a connection between 2 hoses. Really a poor idea.

Now I have a single computerized engine (Cummins QSB 5.9) boat that, knock on wood, has been 100% reliable. But we did have one scary moment with this boat. We where headed out of Smugglers Cove to go across Georgia Strait to Nanaimo when a loud screaming noise started, much louder than my wife's screaming. It turned out to be the bow thruster making a noise much different than its normal sound. I found if I pressed the thruster level over the sound would stop so I had my wife hold the level over while I turned off the main power switch to the thruster. We turned around and headed into Secret Cove to figure out the problem and while heading there I found that the salt water line to the anchor wash down had sprung a leak and was spraying a stream of water on the thruster motor. Lesson learned was to turn off the wash down pump when not needed.

I have plenty more but these where the most memorable.

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #30

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
Enigne Room fire

Wasn't underway; happened at my dock. About 9pm, I heard the 370HP Yanmar engine running; had not been on the boat that day. Boarded boat, engine didn't answer helm commands. Opened hatch smelled burning insulation. Fortunately the Yanmar tech has shown me how to shut down using solenoid. Yanmar tech discovered shorted (ground/yellow) butt connector in a wiring harness that shorted to the red wire and engaged the starter. Starter fried; some smoke damage, but not enough to cause fire suppression system to discharge. Tech explained that even though the DC panel Mail is off, DC is still going to the engine and the engine can start even if no one hits the start switch. Full story in next BoatUS magazine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00493.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	24988  
Old 11-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #31
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl34Mainship View Post
Wasn't underway; happened at my dock. About 9pm, I heard the 370HP Yanmar engine running; had not been on the boat that day. Boarded boat, engine didn't answer helm commands. Opened hatch smelled burning insulation. Fortunately the Yanmar tech has shown me how to shut down using solenoid. Yanmar tech discovered shorted (ground/yellow) butt connector in a wiring harness that shorted to the red wire and engaged the starter. Starter fried; some smoke damage, but not enough to cause fire suppression system to discharge. Tech explained that even though the DC panel Mail is off, DC is still going to the engine and the engine can start even if no one hits the start switch. Full story in next BoatUS magazine.
That's not necessarily normal...certainly not on most of the boats I have owned or ran. Was that way on my current boat until I corrected it because it's "dangerous".
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #32

One of the things learned at the dock and not off shore somewhere... How did you correct this in your boat?
Old 11-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #33
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl34Mainship View Post
One of the things learned at the dock and not off shore somewhere... How did you correct this in your boat?
I have battery switches...one works the main panel from the house batts...one is next to the start batt.

When the start batt switch is off...the engine circuits are dead.

Ideally you have fuses or switches that isolate the batteries to withing a foot or so of them so you can't have any high amperage 12v arcing.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #34

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
In 2001 Riviera 36 dropped an exhaust valve on port Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M3 cruising at 20kn. Clouds of white smoke. Continued for the weekend on stbd only and motored home at 7.5kn. Started the port motor at the last moment, for docking. Needed new piston, rings reman head and honed bore but was all done in-frame.

On current single engined boat the starter solenoid failed at anchor 10 miles from home. We got a tow home at 7kn - very quiet and economical!
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #35

Thanks psneeld... I'll look into switching the battery... for the time being, I've been turning off the rotary DC main switch, but that switch needs to stay on when we're overnighting on the boat... the separate batt switch is the better fix... thanks...
Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Myers
I'll add in my friends experience since I was on the boat at the time, Cummins 6B, 250HP twins, heading out offshore fishing and one hard injector line sprung a leak and not at the connection point but in the middle. After many years and vibration wore a thin spot. Came back on one.
I do think good scheduled maintenance can eliminate most issue, and there are those ones that are hard to plan around.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #37

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
on a 1985 Volvo Penta 165 Hp engine had a engine circulating pump shaft bearing freeze up and twisted the shaft in half dropping the belt pulley into the bilge. Saw it happen on engine room camera.

On a 1979 Volvo Penta 135 Hp had the starter burn up trying to start the engine after anchoring all night and wave action pushed water into the engine through the exhaust.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Bay Pelican shut down 10 miles off the coast of Grenada from an air leak in fuel line. She had gone for 2 1/2 hours before she shut down. Fortunately we were able to put an electric fuel pump in line so that the fuel lines were pressurized and stopped sucking air in and made it to a marina. Scary to say the least entering a marina knowing that the engine could shut down at any second.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #39

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
I ma now motivated to change my raw water hoses, which have been on my "to do" list. Anyway...

Low oil pressure alarm went off after taking delivery. I was taking the boat home and noticed lots of oil in the bilge. Found out later that there was a hole in the oil pan. Engine had to be pulled so I had all the gaskets replaced.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #40

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
Early this week our starboard Detroit diesel 453 suddenly lost oil pressure while bringing boat down mobile bay to dauphin island (home port). We had just completed several miscellaneous repairs and upgrades in preparation for leaving on the great loop the next week. The low oil pressure alarm did not go off while running about 1500 rpms. I noticed the gauge drop and dropped it down to idle then to have the alarm sound. Made it in on one engine to our dock. My mechanic jumped on it and we both thought it was the oil pump. Turned out it was much worse in that we spun the idler shaft rear bearing and scored the block. Needless to say, trip is off for now while we pull the engine and rebuild. We had about 3500 hours on it. Good news is that it happened at home and not two weeks later out in the middle of the gulf while heading for tarpon springs, Florida. At least we are eating turkey at home and not the planned two Cornish hens that the boat oven would have accommodated.

kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote