What kind of fuel line fitting is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I found this fitting in my fuel line coming from the fuel tank to the engine. What is it? Too big to be just a connector. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464608497.860894.jpg

I'd guess a check valve too, if the flow is from the bottom of the picture. That is one very funky set up, using hose clamps on a fuel line; and injury on insult using those cheap perforated clamps. Methinks that is not OEM....

I'd guess a check valve too, if the flow is from the bottom of the picture. That is one very funky set up, using hose clamps on a fuel line; and injury on insult using those cheap perforated clamps. Methinks that is not OEM....

The cheap clamps is a good point. This is a 330 Cummins on a Nordic Tug. Maybe a previous owner modification?

Do your engines have Airseps on them?

Because that looks like the same check valve and hose setup they use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Yep, airsep drain check valve. Nothing to do with fuel.

I will double check my hose trace. My fuel lines are blue so I just assumed that was what I was looking at.

What's wrong in using hose-clamps on hose carrying diesel fuel? I can see lots of problems in NOT using them!

You can use hose clamps but the ones on critical systems and the ones below the water line need to be approved devices like the AWAB brand. By looking you can tell the difference. The "Screw Thread Lines" are not a "Hole" in the clamp band.

That is exactly what the unit is. A drain from my turbo down to my oil pan. Not anything to do with fuel.
Thanks Guys.

In the photo the top hose clamp is approved. The bottom hose clamp is pretty much junk. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1464751146.094295.jpg

I may be wrong, but I think ABYC standards (not that they are compulsory, but....) require swaged fittings, not hose clamps, on diesel suction lines (clamps are ok for return lines, I think)

Back
Top Bottom