What epoxy for Lehman holding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEC

Looking for recommendations on what metal epoxy to use for the ADC holding tank overflow cap neck retrofit. Who has used what with best success? Brian at ADC said the product he was recommending is no longer avalible so I’m looking for suggestions. Will be first time doing this so any pointers also appreciated.

Thanks!
CEC

I am going to have to do one of mine. Be interested in the answers to this.

This is what was recommended to me 3 years ago and it works great. No problems.

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: CEC
Greetings,
Mr.CEC. Good modification. Alas mine were already done but I've always had good results with JB weld. Perhaps ask Brian if this would work.

Edit: Aw SNAP!!! Missed it by one minute...

200w.gif

+1 on Marine weld but go with the self mixing syringe

I would rather use epoxy than use a torch in my engine room. Less chance of things going wrong.

Now I just need to figure out where the expansion tanks will fit into the mix. I’m ordering the parts tomorrow. Both caps need replaced so I figure nows the time to tackle this one. Thanks for the pointer on JB I just ordered it.

I would rather use epoxy than use a torch in my engine room. Less chance of things going wrong.

The fills are right under the hatch’s basicly 3” below the floor so I’d be sitting on the floor doing it. Map gas torch would not be a problem for me. ADC recommends epoxy so I’m not going to try reinvent another way. That low temp brazing stuff might work well in other repairs though.

Don’t forget to drill the new neck for the overflow hose.

JB Weld holds my entire boat together. It started over 20 years ago with the new expansion tank neck and now I'm using it to fill the voids in my teak. Almost matches.

I used Marine Tex. So far, 2 yrs,1000 hrs, 2 round trips to Fl from Jersey.

Most likely good proceedure is more important than product.... as long as it is a time tested product.

Now I just need to figure out where the expansion tanks will fit into the mix. I’m ordering the parts tomorrow. Both caps need replaced so I figure nows the time to tackle this one. Thanks for the pointer on JB I just ordered it.

Folks swear by JB marine weld, but it is just epoxy with barium sulphate dust mixed in to provide a structural base. You can make tubs of the stuff much cheaper with West System epoxy and 404 high density filler that will provide the same physical characteristics - the only difference being the filler for the epoxy used.

An alternative that is stronger structurally that can be used depending on a repair is regular two part epoxy soaked in cloth strips molded around what is being repaired (wear thin rubber gloves). You can certainly use epoxy cloth, but the loose threads can be a nuisance. Depending on where the break is that may not work in this case, but where applicable, makes a repair that isn't likely to break loose.

I already got the JB, but good to know Delfin. I already have the 404 I could have just made it. Thanks for all this info.

The two kits are ordered I should get to install by the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom